Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamcz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2003
I am going to buy either the single or dual 1.25 G4 in two days or so as soon as the ADC program gives me the thumbs up.

Can anybody here explain how much faster the dual is than the single? I assume it's not twice as fast.

I've heard magazines and people joke about how loud the dual 1.25 is. Is there a chance the single will be signficantly quieter?

Can I buy it without a superdrive and add one later if I need one?

Thanks for your help!

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
most of the time the dual will be a few percent (5 maybe) faster. if you use photoshop or other dual proc applications alot, then it is worth it (especially for $300).

single processor machine will be quieter (less fans).

superdrive can be added... i am unsure of what to suggest here (recent macrumors poll showed a lot of people didn't really use the dvd burning much) http://www.macpolls.com/?poll_id=158&ref=forums.macrumors.com

good luck! :D

adamcz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2003
I'm positive I don't need superdrive now, but I just want to make sure I can add it at Christmas or whenever if I hapeen to get a digital videocamera someday.

Wow, only a few percent faster? I don't really use photoshop... Mostly music notation and sequencing software, but not digital audio, and games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.