Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macaddict23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
MacVille, USA
I'm creating a one-page letter-sized template for a client. It will have a logo and contact info. I'll be using InDesign to lay out the design. Unfortunately, he doesn't have InDesign so he'll be using Microsoft Word to open my template where he can insert text and graphics.

I've tried exporting a PDF sample page from InDesign, and then placed the PDF in Word (Mac) as a background image. It came out blurry. Urgh! Is there an easy way of doing this?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If it's a Word template your client needs, you create it in Word with all the elements that you've described plus the styles. Not InDesign.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
You can to some degree design it else where and bring it in. But what word seems to want is jpegs. So just export your art as an RGB (yeah yeah wtf word) jpeg at 300+ dpi. Typically when a client wants something like this, it's best to keep it as simple as possible. Maybe just a jpeg to insert into the header and/or a jpeg to insert into the footer.

17th Hole

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2004
State of Oblivion
I agree with Blue Velvet. Leave InDesign out of the equation. Just do it all in Word. Word doesn't play well with others.

Can it be done in InDesign and brought into Word? Yeah probably. Is it worth it? Probably not...

i3iz

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2005
I agree with Blue Velvet. Leave InDesign out of the equation. Just do it all in Word. Word doesn't play well with others.

Can it be done in InDesign and brought into Word? Yeah probably. Is it worth it? Probably not...

I agree to an extent. I use indesign to create what i want it to look like. Then I use Photoshop/Word to get it there. Word is very rigid when it comes to moving objects and creating tables. They snap to a grid. If file size doesnt matter, you could even rasterize your PDF in Photoshop and save as a sRGB or CMYK JPG and import that into word as a BG. Then position your text boxes / margins according.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.