Please help- How to revert back to Mac OS after single and only Windows partition?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sidirops, Jan 18, 2013.

1. sidirops, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013

macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a macbook air 11.6 inch (late 2010). A couple of years ago I had to use windows 7 for work so I installed the operating system. Unfortunately because I have a 64Gb ssd I was struggling for space. I read on the net that its possible to install just windows without mac osx, so i did. Now I need to go back to mac osx since I dont need windows anymore. I have tried to boot from the macosx dvd but with no luck. I also tried to boot to the initial macosx boot partition (without the osx operating system) and then start the install from there. Again no luck as the external drive starts I see the grey screen of macos but the install never happens!!

Please your help would be really appreciated!!!

Best regards,

sidirops

2. macrumors 603

justperry

I am not sure you're firmware was updated, if it was you might try to boot into internet recovery.
    Hold the Command-R at startup, what happens?

3. macrumors G4

Are you sure you are using the right recovery media? I thought the late 2010s came with a tiny USB key rather than a recovery DVD. Perhaps it isn't installing because it is the wrong OS version. I believe the late 2010s shipped with 10.6.8. I do see a few eBay listings for "MacBook Air USB Key" so they are floating around if you don't have yours.

My advice is to take it to a Genius Bar and see if they can install the OS for you or get you one of the recovery keys.

That probably didn't happen since you need OS X to update the firmware.

4. macrumors 603

justperry

Yeah, that's what I thought as well, if the OP had Windows only he would not be able to do so.

5. macrumors 6502

phairphan

I suspect this is the problem too. As KPOM said, 2010 Airs came only with a USB key. The earliest version of the OS included was a modified version of 10.6.4. You'll need at least 10.6.5 to be able to install.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Woww!!! Thanks for the quick reply!

Hi guys,

Firstly I would like to thank you all for your very quick reply!! Its really appreciated!

I think you are all correct! My MBA came with a usb stick with macosx but I haven't try to revert back to macos using this. When I am back in the office on Monday I will try to re-install from there instead.I will keep you posted!!

Again thanks a lot!!

Best regards,

sidirops