Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAppFinder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
Hey i Have an imac g3. the specs are 233MHz G3 with 32 MB of ram, 4 GB HDD, and original revision A model.

Now the problem i have with it is that it doesnt start up. i got it from my brothers school, cause they were trashing it, and so i picked it up.
i got home and pluged the keyboard, mouse, powercable, etc, and so excited of getting my first mac!

i pressed the power button.... and ........nothing.
so i thought: crap its dead probably. looked online, looking for a solution, and checked youtube, mac roumers and google searches. and the few solutions i got was: dead power supply and need new 1/2 AA 3.6 Volts battery. and also fly-back transformer, which to me is in the power supply/ display issue. Also i know that their is some power that is going to the imac. i know this because my friends imac g3 (333MHz) does a faint squeek noise the second you plug the power cord in the machine, and his works. mine also does this!

Does any body have any solutions for this iMac G3? I would really like to get it working again, but for now it sits on my desk, as a larger paper weight, and a display.

thanks!

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
I can't think of anything other than what you've already found. You could try unplugging all the extras (keyboard, etc.) and seeing it that makes any difference, but I doubt it.

I will say that I've never seen a dead battery stop a computer starting up - lose date / time, lose settings, yes - not startup, no. I know a few people with CRT iMacs who don't use them very often so the batteries are dead, but the machines startup just fine.

Also DO NOT ever plug a live electical wire into the Mac. Plug in the cable and then switch on at the wall. That "squeek" you hear could well be you killing the computer and/or power supply.

TheAppFinder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
imac

I can't think of anything other than what you've already found. You could try unplugging all the extras (keyboard, etc.) and seeing it that makes any difference, but I doubt it.

I will say that I've never seen a dead battery stop a computer starting up - lose date / time, lose settings, yes - not startup, no. I know a few people with CRT iMacs who don't use them very often so the batteries are dead, but the machines startup just fine.

Also DO NOT ever plug a live electical wire into the Mac. Plug in the cable and then switch on at the wall. That "squeek" you hear could well be you killing the computer and/or power supply.

Thanks for the help. i haven't tried turning it on with a power brick. i will try that. and also the squeek sound that i hear. it does it on my friends imac g3 and his works just fine. but thanks for the help!

TheAppFinder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
imac

actually i made a mistake, its not much a squeek sound, its more of a buzz sound.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Though I understand the nostalgic reason for having a 233 whats the point? I have a 333 that serves no purpose at all and though it still works in essence it is a paperweight dust collector.

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
Dont Hurt Me said:
Though I understand the nostalgic reason for having a 233 whats the point? I have a 333 that serves no purpose at all and though it still works in essence it is a paperweight dust collector.

"Purpose", like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. My Mac is a 266GHz G3 PowerMac running MacOS 9.2 which is in everyday use for both my own DTP / FileMaker / computer business and my hobbies. :)

TheAppFinder said:
actually i made a mistake, its not much a squeek sound, its more of a buzz sound.

It doesn't really matter whether it squeaks, buzzes, or shouts "Yippee!" ... it's never ever a good idea to plug a live electricity cable into any device.

TheAppFinder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
imac g3

[QUOTE it doesn't really matter whether it squeaks, buzzes, or shouts "Yippee!" ... it's never ever a good idea to plug a live electricity cable into any device.[/QUOTE]

i dont think it really matters for any thing that requires an outlet, you just plug in. whether its directly into the wall or using a power brick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.