Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamhowe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Hamilton ON. CA.
I have just got my Imac Intel and I've never used one before. I've been a p.c. user my whole life. PLEASE HELP ME! I can't watch any videos anywhere, I was BARELY able to get Adium installed, and I tried to get Flip4mac and the Media Player app installed to no avail. Every forum I visit seems to have people arguing over what is best to do etc. and this all seems so unorganized and un-though-out... PLEASE HELP ME! Any ideas on how to improve my experience, tips on what apps to install, how to get things done, etc. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sobering

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
Well your on the right track with Flip4Mac. Just download the DMG file and it should automatically install when you click Continue or whatever it says. Hmm.

adamhowe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Hamilton ON. CA.
Sobering said:
Well your on the right track with Flip4Mac. Just download the DMG file and it should automatically install when you click Continue or whatever it says. Hmm.
I tried that but I got the error message saying that I need a version of quickTime better than 6.2.... whatever. The thing is, I have version 7.1.3! WTF! Apparently the Flip4mac programmers have been working on this since Jan????

adamhowe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Hamilton ON. CA.
adamhowe said:
I tried that but I got the error message saying that I need a version of quickTime better than 6.2.... whatever. The thing is, I have version 7.1.3! WTF! Apparently the Flip4mac programmers have been working on this since Jan????
o.k. everyone I actually installed Flip4mac and it works so far!!!!:D :D :D

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I wish font sizes on the forums also affected smiley icons like they do in iChat.

:confused:

Curious, regarding your confusion with Adium... why didn't you just try iChat first? That is what most people use.

adamhowe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Hamilton ON. CA.
dpaanlka said:
I wish font sizes on the forums also affected smiley icons like they do in iChat.

:confused:

Curious, regarding your confusion with Adium... why didn't you just try iChat first? That is what most people use.
All of my buddies have MSN and as far as I know, I can't chat with them without having a program to support MSN

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
adamhowe said:
All of my buddies have MSN and as far as I know, I can't chat with them without having a program to support MSN

Oh interesting... I forgot about Adium's MSN support.

adamhowe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Hamilton ON. CA.
dpaanlka said:
Oh interesting... I forgot about Adium's MSN support.
Yes. But apparently Adium does not support my built in web cam.... This just keeps getting better. Unless all your friends have macs you can't have video chats with them??? AARGH! That's one reason I bought this thing; for the camera!

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
No... Macs are excellent with AIM video chatting, both with PCs and other Macs. It also works nicely over Bonjour networking, and is great for making Video Podcasts or other such movies.

Blame Microsoft for bad Mac support, not Apple. Apple doesn't own MSN.

bitabytex

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Here is a link to aMSN (a program for MSN users) that supports your webcam.

http://amsn.sourceforge.net/

For the .avi question, here is a link that will explain and help you out.

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/avidivx.html

If you are looking for more types of apps to install, check out the Downloads page at Apple: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/
or VersionTracker: http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

Also, Macrumors has a Guide for Beginners here: http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Beginner's_Guide

Hope that helps :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
adamhowe said:
Anyone have any tips on a plug in for quicktime that will allow me to view .avi files? Any help is appreciated

Don't use Quicktime for avi, use a program called VLC, it plays nearly every video type around.

Sounds like you're freaking out a bit, have a deep breath, get your head together and try and organise your questions into a list from most confusing to least confusing. Post a thread about your most confusing questions and do a forum search for the simple ones.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
adamhowe said:

Sucks for you. Microsoft just doesn't have good support for non-Windows MSN users. As someone pointed out, video chat works well with AIM, and it should also work well with Skype video calling.

adamhowe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Hamilton ON. CA.
k, I've got amsn running great, except I'm having trouble getting my webcam working; the person I am chatting with's MSN says I do not have a web cam... any ideas? Thanks!

adamhowe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Hamilton ON. CA.
XFactor

Hello all! I am using XFactor and am finding it to be not so great a program. Can anyone suggest a better P2P program?? Thanks in advance!

diegozuniga

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2005
I have been using Cabos for over a year now and have never had any trouble with it. It is simple and easy to use.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Don't use Quicktime for avi, use a program called VLC, it plays nearly every video type around.

Sounds like you're freaking out a bit, have a deep breath, get your head together and try and organise your questions into a list from most confusing to least confusing. Post a thread about your most confusing questions and do a forum search for the simple ones.

Yep... Quicktime + VLC + Flip4Mac plugin, and you pretty much can't go wrong.

It takes a while to get used to using a mac. Don't compare it to windows just yet, but evaluate it on its own merits. When you're so used to windows, it's hard to learn that there are other ways of doing things, and sooner or later, I bet you will find the mac more intuitive and pleasant to use.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I also switched very recently and one of the first thing I did was to install VLC and Flip4Mac.
However I found this solution to be more convenient:
Follow the instructions given here: http://www.xvidmovies.com/mac/ to enable DivX and XviD movie playback in QuickTime, great to watch -for example- user-created videos/recorded TV shows using Front Row and the remote.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England

I second that, but it has problems with some wmv I find. Other than that, it's awesome.

As for chat, I use adium and know many others that do. In the Uk especially, iChat with AOL support is pretty pointless, most here use MSN.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I also switched very recently and also started by installing VLC.
However I found this solution to be more convenient:
Follow the instructions given here: http://www.xvidmovies.com/mac/ to enable DivX and XviD movie playback in QuickTime, great to watch -for example- user-created videos/recorded TV shows using Front Row and the remote.

Yes, VLC is not great for Front Row, (only codecs installed for QT will play). VLC is great though if you just want to play.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.