Please suggest a mac friendly pop email service

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Beligerent, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Beligerent macrumors regular

Beligerent

I just bought my powerbook the other day and have had nothing but problems with Gmail and Apple mail. Now starting today I cant send mail. Im looking for a mac friendly (read: actually works flawlessly with mail) email service. It doesnt have to be free. Im considering yahoo for $20 a year or maybe runbox. anyone have any suggestions?

-Norm

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It's probably not Gmail giving you problems, but rather Mail.app. Gmail is amazing. You won't find a better email service. Apple's new version of Mail hasn't been the greatest. It's been buggy and hasn't lived up to normal Apple standards. Having said that, I still seem to use it.

My suggestion: Double check that you configured everything properly.

3. Flick1515 macrumors newbie

SpyMac is a great 1gb free email service www.spymac.com it wrks well with apple mail for me

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I use Mail (2.0) and GMail's free POP3 access for my primary email, with no trouble whatsoever. I'm not sure why you're having trouble, but my experience has been that both Mail and GMail are excellent. If you don't like Mail, you might try Thunderbird, which you can download at www.mozilla.org. Microsoft sells Entourage (the Mac equivalent of Outlook) as part of Office for Mac. There are also several other email clients (Netscape, Mozilla Suite, Eudora, etc) available for Mac OS X that you might try.

5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

It sounds like a preference file thing.
    Delete "com.apple.mail.plist" from the preferences folder in the Library folder in your home folder.

You will have to set up your g-mail again, but it might get it to work again.

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

did you follow the step my step instructions that you can find on the gmail site? They tell you exactly how to set up your mail program to work with gmail. I haven't had a problem yet sending and receiving with it.

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I suggest you get a nice 250MB hosting package (which I happen to sell :eek:) with a domain such as yourcompany.com, coolword.com, yourname.com and have an e-mail address through that. Then, if you did get into web design (or already are), you can also have a website at thedomain.com.

I know that at least my server's mail is Mac friendly, and it also has webmail too! The pop and smtp servers are both mail.domain.com, which is really easy, and I'm sure most webhost's ms are like that!

Good luck!

8. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

9. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I thought i was having problems with Gmail, but then I read somewhere about changing the settings within Gmail, which I did and I have not had any problems with it whatsoever ever allowing other mail programs access Gmail. Check it maybe maybe that's your problem with Gmail.

10. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I can give you an invite if you send me your email address. Then all you have to do is click the link in the email and create a user name. I'm allowed 50 invites and I've only used 20 or so.

11. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I PM'd you an invitation.

12. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

POP isn't a Mac standard. Any POP email provider should work fine. I use VONetworks.com for my web hosting and as part of the package I get unlimited POP mailboxes (limited only by how much disk space I am leasing under the plan I have (2GB)).

13. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

I use Earthlink with Mail and it works without a hitch. Haven't had a probelm yet. However, like yourself I just switched a week ago. But, so far so good.

14. Panoctopi macrumors member

15. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

6 invites left

i have 6 invites left, anyone want them?

16. ghostee macrumors 6502

Make sure your SMTP settings for the Gmail account in Mail.app are:

Outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com
    Server port: 587
    Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL): YES (checked)
    Authentication: Password
    User Name: youremail@gmail.com (you DO need to include @gmail.com)
    Password: yourpassword

I've had similiar problems when I forgot to put @gmail.com in the user name field, or didn't set the port correctly.

I really like GMail, it works great in Mail.app and the web interface is great for when I'm away from my Mac (work).

EDIT:: Also, login to GMail's web interface and make sure POP is enabled in the settings.