Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leia1912

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
In the spirit of "Because we can," I want to get my iPad tethered to my iPhone. Could anybody please walk me through this? (I already have MyWi downloaded and ready on the iPhone, FYI.)

(I do have an iPhone first generation, but MyWi says that won't be a problem, and I am on a local network, Cincinnati Bell.)

Thanks so much for your input! :apple:

x0lliex

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Just open up the app on your iPhone and press and turn on wifi tethering. Look at the name of the wifi network below and go to your iPad and go to your wifi settings and connect the wifi network that is listed in the mywi app.

Leia1912

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Hmmmm, I think I'm doing it right, then; there's something else wonky afoot. The MyWi app gripes that it can't enable the network (and then acts like it is using my normal home WiFi, which is not the point), and then the iPad links to the iPhone but doesn't get any Internet feed. This makes me think either I've got a setting wrong, or there's an issue using EDGE feed to the iPhone, vs. 3G.

Thanks for your reply!

mottdog

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2009
Hmmmm, I think I'm doing it right, then; there's something else wonky afoot. The MyWi app gripes that it can't enable the network (and then acts like it is using my normal home WiFi, which is not the point), and then the iPad links to the iPhone but doesn't get any Internet feed. This makes me think either I've got a setting wrong, or there's an issue using EDGE feed to the iPhone, vs. 3G.

Thanks for your reply!

Make sure your iPhone has it's normal wifi turned on even though your using 3G.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Make sure your iPhone has it's normal wifi turned on even though your using 3G.

+1, I was testing it out and I had shut my iPhones wi-fi off, needless to say after about 10 attempts, 5 hard resets and 5 soft resets.. MyWi would never create a hotspot..

Went back and turned the iPhone Wi-Fi back on and it worked without a hitch...

Robb.Penoyer

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
Florida
Because you phone is clearly jailbroken (jailbroked, jailbreaked... ??) you can also simply turn on tethering by going to Settings -> General -> Network -> Internet Tethering. Turn it on. Now you can bluetooth pair with your iPhone.

No need to use MyWi unless you want to be a network router.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Will the iPad connect as effectively to the
bluetooth tethering as it would the MyWi?

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007

ive never used BT tethering on my mpb, but i think mywi would be fast, especially if using 3g. goodluck

Robb.Penoyer

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
Florida

Bluetooth is more than speedy enough to keep up with 3G. When the European folks get iPads going, the faster wireless services available there may exceed bluetooth.

But for those of us stuck on the crappy US infrastructure, we can keep it simple.

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
I have a similar problem. It connects to the network that mywi creates but no Internet connection. Not sure what to do.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
I do not think the bluetooth worked between the iPhone and iPad. At least it did not before i jail broke the phone. I actually have not checked since jail breaking so it very well might and if that is the case one could use netshare as a connection if you were licky enough to get your hands on a copy of that..

Robb.Penoyer

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
Florida
The discussion thread topic is about MyWi, so I made the presumption that the phone side of the discussion was jailbroken (jailbraked, jailbreaked ..:confused:)

With that safely presumed, tethering with bluetooth is a simple matter of iPhone Settings and adding the phone as an attached bluetooth device. No need for additional software.

I do not have an iPad, so I would ask an iPad user to validate/try this out. But on my MBP this works great.

FWW

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Anchorage, AK
Oh oh oh how i wish i had the desire to jailbreak my phone before getting my iPad. Now i have a 3.1.3 iPhone that i can't break to tether with my iPad :( anyone heard any info in near future 3.1.3 breaks???

Robb.Penoyer

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
Florida
Oh oh oh how i wish i had the desire to jailbreak my phone before getting my iPad. Now i have a 3.1.3 iPhone that i can't break to tether with my iPad :( anyone heard any info in near future 3.1.3 breaks???

Redsn0w can break a 3.1.3 iPhone 2G, 3G --- I do not believe it can break 3GS.

That's too bad about the iPad not bluetooth tethering though...

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
The discussion thread topic is about MyWi, so I made the presumption that the phone side of the discussion was jailbroken (jailbraked, jailbreaked ..:confused:)

With that safely presumed, tethering with bluetooth is a simple matter of iPhone Settings and adding the phone as an attached bluetooth device. No need for additional software.

I do not have an iPad, so I would ask an iPad user to validate/try this out. But on my MBP this works great.

Tried but neither will recognize the other. iPhone is jail broken. Internet tether in settings is on.

Robb.Penoyer

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
Florida
Tried but neither will recognize the other. iPhone is jail broken. Internet tether in settings is on.

Sorry... without an iPad myself, I am dry on suggestions. Drop the $9.99 on MyWi I guess is the last resort. I believe this IS working for folks.

I'll go pick one up tomorrow and see what I can do for you. Now I have a valid excuse to give my wife for spending $500 --- "But honey ! Ipoddin on macrumors is depending on me." HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

FWW

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Anchorage, AK
Redsn0w can break a 3.1.3 iPhone 2G, 3G --- I do not believe it can break 3GS.

That's too bad about the iPad not bluetooth tethering though...

Redsn0w will break a 3.1.3 with the most recent base band that has never been broken before? I tried to downgrade to 3.1.2 to use blackra1n but it won't downgrade... I restored to 3.1.3 with no issues and will try redsn0w if that is possible...

TIA

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Just tried and as suspected it dies not pair as previous posters have confirmed. i would think at some point this will get rectified for those who have jail broken phones.

I have ordered a 3G and will sell my wifi at at point. This dependance on another device for a connection is not something I will tolerate in the long run.

Robb.Penoyer

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
Florida
Redsn0w will break a 3.1.3 with the most recent base band that has never been broken before? I tried to downgrade to 3.1.2 to use blackra1n but it won't downgrade... I restored to 3.1.3 with no issues and will try redsn0w if that is possible...

TIA

Yes, Redsnow WILL jailbreak (jailbrake) a 3G 3.1.3 on the latest baseband. I absolutely know this because I did it just his morning for a friend.

These instructions work:
http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-iphone-os-3.1.3-firmware-with-redsn0w-0.9.4/

Robb.Penoyer

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
Florida
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar... If i get is runnin, im giftin' you an app sir!

kewl.... one other note for you.

In those instructions at one point the tell you to select “Install Cydia, Unlock and Already pwned” ---- ONLY select "Install Cydia"

FWW

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Anchorage, AK
kewl.... one other note for you.

In those instructions at one point the tell you to select “Install Cydia, Unlock and Already pwned” ---- ONLY select "Install Cydia"

Working perfectly... PM me your email and a link/name to a reasonably priced app you want!

Thanks for the link. I think a lot of the messages i saw on the web saying 3.1.3 was not possible were people who wanted an unlock as well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.