Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Hi all,

I'm after some opinions and feedback.

I have a new 2011 Mac Mini which I have been upgrading etc to make it into my super HTPC.

Anyway I basically want to rip my entire blu ray library to plex so it becomes my media centre.

Once I've done this, assuming I have proper back ups of my data on several drives is there any reason I shouldn't sell the physical blu ray discs? - I have some 50 odd blue rays so selling these would allow me to purchase some larger LaCie Drives for example in which I could store the data and keep a backup.

I was thinking of having a LaCie Tower. 2 x 2GB HDs. 1 for media and 1 as Time Machine backups. It then wouldn't really matter what size drive I had in my Mini as I wouldn't need to store any information on it. This would allow me to buy a 64GB SSD and just use it as a boot drive. Super speedy Mac Mini loaded with media able to stream around the house with a large sufficient back up.

Am I crazy or does this sound like a good idea?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's not a crazy idea. I keep my movies after ripping them, for loaning to friends and family, but if you need the money, sell 'em!

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I have just started to sell my physical copies of all my favourite tv series.
They are still fetching a decent price and I've got nothing to lose as they've all been backed up to my NAS.

It puts more money back in my pocket for more toys!! :)

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
Why bother ripping them? You might as well just download them if you are going to pirate. Its against the law to keep a backup copy of media you no longer own. Check the DMCA.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Yes on reflection reading it I realise what I've done lol.

Okay I'll keep the discs. No biggie.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Heh...

Every time I try to resell one of my DVD movies, I can barely get $1 for it, and I have to box it up and ship it to some buyer in another state from Amazon or eBay. Completely not worth it!

I guess blu-ray has more value though.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I tend to sell locally, you get more money that way. People are willing to pay more if they don't have to wait for shipping and what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.