1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Plex upconvert question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jgmacrum, Mar 30, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Hi there ....

I have a 50" 720P/1080i TV. Currently I'm using a HD-DVD player (which upconverts standard DVDs). Obviously the HD-DVDs (what few exist) look real good, although what I mainly use it for is playing my DVDs. The upconvert on it is noticeably better than playing a DVD with my previous DVD player although as expected noticeably worse than a native HD-DVD. That's how I expected it to be.

I'm considering getting a mac mini and using plex as a media center to do away with all of this. One of the things I wanted to check on first was the upconvert capabilities of Plex, which I've seen referenced in a few places. Would I be correct in my guess that if I ripped one of my DVDs (e.g. via Handbrake) that it would also upconvert in the same manner as my HD-DVD player? What I'd prefer not to have is a noticeable downgrade from my current setup. As an example, the Wii now has Netflix streaming and it is also a noticeable downgrade due to the 420p resolution, so I don't use that.

Also, will Plex upconvert all video material?

2. macrumors 6502a

I have a newer mac mini with plex and a 46" sony and all of my dvd rips look great. I use MakeMKV mostly, but once in a while I'll use Handbrake. MakeMKV preserves chapter stops, so I tend to prefer it over Handbrake. And as far as "upscaling/up-convert" goes, here's what Wikipedia says about Plex....

"Plex can in addition upscale/upconvert all 480p/576p standard-resolution videos and output them to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p HDTV-resolutions."

3. macrumors member

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, that line is about all that I can dig up, both for plex & xbmc. There isn't a lot of hard information about the quality of the upconvert.

A friend of mine has played around wtih XBMC some, when I talked to him he felt that the quality would be roughly in line with what I have now. I'm planning on noodling around w/ plex on my imac this weekend to see if i like it, but that's not quite the same thing as displaying it on my tv.