Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbmx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
I was wondering if the ram here
would work in a Mac Pro? The only part it doesn't mention is FB-DIMM. They do appear to have the heat sinks. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
I was wondering if the ram here
would work in a Mac Pro? The only part it doesn't mention is FB-DIMM. They do appear to have the heat sinks. Any feedback would be great. Thanks
which mac are you planning on dropping this into? and what are you replacinng?

tbmx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
I'd be dropping it into a 2.66ghz pro which currently has 1 gig (standard 2x512 setup from apple). Does FBDIMM always specifically mention it? Apple's site states "667MHz DDR2 ECC fully-buffered DIMM (FB-DIMM) memory" contrasted w/ PNY "DDR2 PC2-5300 (667 MHz Bus Speed)".

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I'd be dropping it into a 2.66ghz pro which currently has 1 gig (standard 2x512 setup from apple). Does FBDIMM always specifically mention it? Apple's site states "667MHz DDR2 ECC fully-buffered DIMM (FB-DIMM) memory" contrasted w/ PNY "DDR2 PC2-5300 (667 MHz Bus Speed)".

Yes, FBDIMM is really the important bit here. By default memory modules are not fully buffered so I won't touch the PNY if it is meant for a Mac Pro.

In fact I don't think PNY makes workstation memory anyway, they are more of a 1337 overclocker's brand.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Does FBDIMM always specifically mention it?
Yes, it would mention that if it had it. It uses a whole different interface (serial vs. parallel), so the difference is a big deal. It's really aimed more at server applications (thanks to the Xeon chipset used in the Mac Pro), and there is a price penalty.

tbmx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
Awesome. Thanks for the insight/quick responses. Merry Christmas!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.