Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I've generally been a proponent of the dedicated-function devices, carrying a cell phone for calls and my PowerBook for everything else. But some workflow changes mean I need access to email on the go, and now that PocketPCs have 802.x wireless and phone capabilities, I can avoid carrying multiple devices.

I've seen the Qtek 9100 (aka T-Mobile MDA) and I really like it, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of other options? What about sites that might list and compare all the different models? Microsoft's website has very few products listed.

I'm looking for something with Bluetooth, 802.x wireless, good cell phone capabilities (not Verizon), and Windows Mobile (or equivalent OS). I would prefer to have a slide-out QWERTY keyboard or none at all--the fewer buttons on the outside, the better.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
matticus008 said:
I've seen the Qtek 9100 (aka T-Mobile MDA) and I really like it, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of other options? What about sites that might list and compare all the different models? Microsoft's website has very few products listed.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I suspect the major drawback of this type of unit will be battery life, or lack there of.

Do you already have a Bluetooth enabled Cell Phone? If so, you could consider keeping the Cell for text messages and voice calls as well as good battery life and use a Palm TX (or similar) for web/email via Wi-Fi and bluetooth connection to the cell phone, when you need it.

Otherwise something like a Blackberry may be a better option.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Danksi said:
I suspect the major drawback of this type of unit will be battery life, or lack there of.

Do you already have a Bluetooth enabled Cell Phone? If so, you could consider keeping the Cell for text messages and voice calls as well as good battery life and use a Palm TX (or similar) for web/email via Wi-Fi and bluetooth connection to the cell phone, when you need it.

Otherwise something like a Blackberry may be a better option.

Battery life seems to be along the lines of 10 hours based on the reviews I've read. This is adequate for my purposes--I won't be away from power for longer than that. I don't want to carry separate "pocket" sized devices (little pocket space), nor do I want to have to start carrying my PowerBook everywhere (bulk, pack-up times, slows through security, takes up too much space in meetings). Before, just my phone was sufficient, but now I need email and I'd like internet access if I'm going to replace my phone.

Blackberries seem awkward and bulky to me, and I'd prefer to avoid being locked into RIM. Do Blackberries work with normal email services? Ironically, the Origami PC or another tablet, if it could make phone calls, would be great, but I'm not sold on the price.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Buy Symbian phones - the best selling smartphone.

Symbian has over 50% marketshare... twice that of unreliable, buggy microsoft mobile.

Symbian, the only way to go... far ahead of Palm or microsoft.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Thanks for the tip! Do you have any experience with any of these?

EDIT: Looks like none of the Symbians come with WiFi and the email features are pretty inferior. Maybe there are third party apps that would work, but since we work with Outlook/Exchange for work, it doesn't seem like Symbian phones are the best bet for me. I'll keep looking into it, though.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
matticus008 said:
Thanks for the tip! Do you have any experience with any of these?

EDIT: Looks like none of the Symbians come with WiFi and the email features are pretty inferior. Maybe there are third party apps that would work, but since we work with Outlook/Exchange for work, it doesn't seem like Symbian phones are the best bet for me. I'll keep looking into it, though.

Sorry I didn't mention Symbian, as there aren't many with Wi-Fi just yet. I have some experience with them, I've worked with them in the UK since the Nokia 7650 was introduced and I have a 3-year old 6600. Overall they're the best on the market and have recently introduced clam-shell models, should you prefer.

Since you're looking for wifi, cell, pda and a pull out keyboard, perhaps you should look at the Nokia 9500.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Danksi said:
Sorry I didn't mention Symbian, as there aren't many with Wi-Fi just yet. I have some experience with them, I've worked with them in the UK since the Nokia 7650 was introduced and I have a 3-year old 6600. Overall they're the best on the market and have recently introduced clam-shell models, should you prefer.

Since you're looking for wifi, cell, pda and a pull out keyboard, perhaps you should look at the Nokia 9500.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.