Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dolfinack

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
Nope. Absolute turd. Just keeps on crashing, randomly keeping deleted podcasts and downloading deleted ones.

Dbolander

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
No password-protected podcasts still. What's especially frustrating is that Podcasts can see that I'm subscribed to one in iTunes, but it clearly doesn't sync the username and password in order to download them on the device.

So lame. Why is this such a problem? People have been asking for this since the app was originally released.

You should be able to do this if you go to the search bar under My Podcasts and paste in the URL to the password-protected podcast.

Dbolander

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
Unfortunately, it maintains the hardcoded limit to 100MB downloads over cell links. At least make it modifiable, for ****'s sake! I have to use a 3rd party podcast app in order to download video podcasts over LTE.

I think the limit was likely instituted at the request of carriers to limit large file downloads. While some carriers offer unlimited data, it seems they intend that you only get to the figuratively “unlimited” part through small file downloads.

----------

I find it interesting that my podcast sync perfectly with my Apple TV account but with iTunes it makes no sense. It's all over the board so much so that I just stopped trying. Maybe its time for iTunes in the cloud!

You may already have done this but there are two check boxes that need to be enabled in iTunes on your computer. In preferences, you need to go to the store tab and enable both podcast syncing and playback information.

bfChris2

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2014
Virginia, USA
Podcasts to Safari - how about Safari to Podcasts?

Well, users can now tap a link in a podcast to go to Safari and open a URL. Oookay…not sure when one would do that.

Now, how about letting us tap an itpc:// link on a webpage in Mobile Safari, and open that podcast in the Podcasts app?

Why did Apple create the itpc:// syntax if their own browser on their own device can't open their own app to play the podcasts??

I've been waiting for that feature now for too many years. Wake up, Apple, and give us the linkage! Security can't be the concern, because Podcasts to Safari is a much more dangerous direction to activate links: Safari can do a much greater variety of tasks, while an evil itpc link wouldn't (shouldn't) do much of anything in the Podcasts app.

We want itpc://

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
What have they done?

I have different stations. In my general listening station I have the stations listed in the order I want based on how I feel at this time. So the ones I want to listen to are at the top of the list. The ones I've overdosed on near the bottom. With this upgrade my station now shows oldest to newest podcasts in their individual podcast. To fix this and list newest to oldest (because I will catch up on last years when I want) I can't.

Does anyone use podcasts at apple?

Cause this **** is not easy user friendly. It used to be. It used to be so easy to use and so easy to see and read what I was doing. Now eveything requires stopping reading and thinking and then going you know what screw it dumb ass thing!!!

I want my station to list newest to oldest. I want Mondays podcast at the top. 2013 at the bottom. Not the other way round. Where's the simple button? Why is it so elusive?

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Oh I found it. Go ino each and every podcast listed in the station , find settings for the podcast and individually turn it from - list old to new - to new to old. Do that for every single podcast in that station.

Then do the same in other stations.

Well done apple. So easy. Not!!!!

iGuyS

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2013
You should be able to do this if you go to the search bar under My Podcasts and paste in the URL to the password-protected podcast.

Nope. Just says that it can't find it (tried it again just to reply to you in good faith, and there's no change from previous versions). This feature truly doesn't work.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
This app doesn't work for me. I use it regularly and it just crashes every time I open it up now. It's a definite downgrade. I expect this from windows and android not apple.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Keeps crashing

What a disaster. I am surprised that Apple released this buggy mess.

EDIT: After the second delete/reinstall and a hard reboot, it seems to be working. At least, I'm into the first five minutes of a podcast and it hasn't crashed. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I finally just got the update. It's about time. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400249788.374302.jpg
Anybody else get this screen or just me?

Dizzler

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
Still Waiting . . .

. . . for the podcast app to display more than one line of title/subject. I want it to look like my mail app with 3 or 4 lines of text showing.

dolfinack

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
I just reinstalled. Now it's downloading hundreds of podcasts despite me having the settings limited at Most Recent.

I don't have the time to sit individually sifting through them trying to recall which ones I've listened to from years past. This thing is a nightmare. Not to mention the bandwidth.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I just reinstalled. Now it's downloading hundreds of podcasts despite me having the settings limited at Most Recent.

I don't have the time to sit individually sifting through them trying to recall which ones I've listened to from years past. This thing is a nightmare. Not to mention the bandwidth.

Me too. Didn't catch it until I got the storage full message. I knew something was up because the last I looked I had 5gb free.

Macwah

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2014
My podcast app crashes -- I have tried 5 times to listen to podcasts I have downloaded into my iPhone to no avail. I cannot function myself if this app doesn't function. I did the update this morning and now...nada. I should have made my user name Macnada....i have just crashed.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Play Podcast channel by alarm?

I love Podcast channels. It really helps fill in dead space for cable cutters.

I wish it were possible to set a podcast channel to auto play via an alarm so that my Morning podcasts would start playing at a set time each morning. I know you can play songs, but can you play podcasts?

00sjsl

Contributor
Jul 23, 2011
Hampshire, UK

That setting does not appear to more any more.

moderately

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
I was hoping to update so my iPod would save podcasts offline. I made the grave mistake of letting Podcasts manage podcasts (it seemed reasonable at the time). Currently if I download a podcast from the cloud it is kept for some short time. I ended up loading SpeedUp Lite to get podcasts on my iPod that the car bluetooth could find.

Sounds like I can update but still not use Podcasts.

bbridges

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
usa
Incredibly, Apple managed to make the podcast app worse!

Unbelievable! Is there some mole in Apple who's secretly working for the secret society for broadcast radio? I mean, what else can explain how profoundly Apple has destroyed the podcast experience over the past year? And every time they do anything, it seems only to make things worse.

This time we have an app that crashes after 20 seconds or so.

Now I've read that reinstalling will fix it, but then I read that this will end up with hundreds of podcasts being downloaded and after having gone through that scenario way too many times this year, I'm afraid to do anything.

Seriously, when is Apple going to finally fire some people? This is by far the worse apple product I've ever dealt with.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Looks like Podcasts 2.1.1 update just became available in the App Store apparently to address some issues with the last update.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
Just for a change in pace the app is working great for me. Appears to be another update, though.

Listened to six hours of podcasts in my car tonight and never had a single issue.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
Unbelievable! … how profoundly Apple has destroyed the podcast experience over the past year… And every time they do anything, it seems only to make things worse.

Couldn't agree more. And yet, after weeks of research, I chose none of the alternatives. As bad as Podcasts & iTunes gets, the combo is still better than the competitors.

And that's the bad news. No real competition, means the downhill slide continues.

I have little to no use for downloading directly with the Podcasts app. I let iTunes manage my podcasts & keep my library. Sadly, Apple's Podcasts works worse with iTunes with every release. Playlists are the single powerful feature of iTunes and Podcasts looses it's grip on Playlists with every release. I used to be able to sync a Playlist, by that I mean, what was in the list got transferred to the device, even if the Playlists in Stations were incorrect and useless once they arrived, the content actually arrived.

Now it doesn't even sync the contents of the Playlist correctly & I've had to do needless and unnecessary syncing, just to get Playlist contents across.

This is maddening. And no developer would risk a player that let iTunes do the downloading, and only sync to Podcasts on the device—as it seems iTunes might drop Podcasts any minute. Wish Apple had a simple player that doesn't try to download or manage Podcasts.

And what's with Playlists? I have podcasts "synced" with my iPhone called Not Found. I suspect it means 'not in the cloud, so you don't get it, even if it's in your iTunes library'. That sinking feeling continues.

If only somebody could tell us how Podcasts are supposed to work, and where Apple is going with this. That would be a big start!

CTU Kyoto

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2006
London
Seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with the Apple Podcasts app. I grew to loathe it too and sought out alternatives. I was very interested to hear Instapaper creator Marco Arment was working on a podcast app called Overcast, but that went dark for quite some time so I settled on an app called Castro. Been very satisfied with the way it works as part of my listening flow. May not be for everyone - there's no support for playlists, for example - but it's very thoughtfully designed. My only gripe is the pointless use of circles to show podcast art, which usually crops part of the art/text, but I can live with that for the great listening experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.