Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kerry Sanders

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Hayden, AL
My original statement was correct as you point out above. Podcasts DO NOT show up on the "more" tab IF the Podcasts app is installed. If the Podcasts app IS installed podcasts do show up on the "more" tab. They've set it up so you can't have it both ways. Either you only use the Podcast app or you only use the Music app.

But thanks anyway for the snotty reply. That was productive :rolleyes:

Thank you for your post Surf Monkey. It was very helpful and informative.

Aristocles

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Newcastle, UK
It doesn't show up on my 4, not with nor without the crappy app installed. :confused:

I've been using the iTunes/Music app combo to play podcasts for years. The reason is simply that I just want to create a playlist, select various podcasts and play them, either on the iPhone for my commute or the iPad to fall asleep to.

When I got told all my podcasts had been moved to the Podcasts app, which doesn't seem to have playlist capability, I was so shocked I swear a little bit of milk came out my nipples...

I love Downcast, but unless I'm missing something, I can only create smart playlists, all of the same series, which is no use to me.
I don't want it to just endlessly play each podcast from the same series. I also don't want to have to manually select each podcast when the last one stops playing.

So just to clear up any confusion for anyone missing podcast playlists in the Music app: I just deleted the Podcast app from my iPhone and iPad and restarted the devices.

Bingo, the podcasts appeared back in the Music app where they used to be.

And they do sync across devices still, too. Last night I played some 'casts on the iPad, and they are now showing as played on the iPhone.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
My experience with podcasts and the Music app. You can sync podcasts using iTunes and connecting your phone. The podcasts show up in the Music app, it's under the More option.

However, if you go to the iTunes Store on your iPhone and try to download or subscribe to a podcast, it will tell you to download the Podcast app.

Here's a weird thing too: when I checked the reviews for the Podcast app (I want to see if it still sucks), they're gone, like no reviews or ratings. It still has the 1.5 star overall rating, but individual ratings are gone. Other Apple apps have reviews though...:confused:

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
only slightly off topic...but might help some folks following this thread:

After suffering with the Apple podcasts app I purchased Downcast, and have found it to be fantastic. I only listen to podcasts on the iPhone, so don't need a reason to have them in iTunes on the Mac (no idea how Downcast handles that), but anyone tired of the Apple app should give downcast consideration.

BFG86

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Just discovered a weird thing. I have a playlist that has podcasts in it. The playlist appears in music but its empty

Aristocles

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Newcastle, UK
...if you go to the iTunes Store on your iPhone and try to download or subscribe to a podcast, it will tell you to download the Podcast app.:

Yeah, I've just tried this and you're right. I use iTunes to download new episodes, so I hadn't noticed this. Thanks for pointing that out :)

After suffering with the Apple podcasts app I purchased Downcast, and have found it to be fantastic.

If I need to download podcasts directly to my device when I'm out and about, I use the Downcast. Awesome app.

Sadly, I can't figure out a way to create basic playlists (not smart-playlists) in Downcast. I just want to be able to create a playlist and add several podcasts to it from different series.

Perhaps I'm being thick :(

If I figure out how to do this, or they add the functionality, it'll be Downcast all the way...

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier
Ya. Good thing I tried out the Podcast app after they rereleased it. And I got to say, it is more usable and more user friendly than before. Although you have to initially all of your podcasts on there.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Seriously, just download Instacast.

Just switched from Instacast to the Apple Podcast app... for my needs, it works perfectly fine. The last couple updates to Instacast have made it slower and slower (in my experience) and introduced bugs that should have been found/fixed through QA testing prior to release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.