Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Normally I find all the PC stuff to be just ridiculous, but that is definitely a little over the line and definitely insensitive.

TyWahn

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2003
OK I am missing the "insensitive"part ... It's called humor folks. I mean come on ... Are you for real? When did we become such a thin-skinned society? Give me a break. Before you holier-than-thou egocentric morality monitors start bashing me for insensitivity, mental illness runs RAMPANT in my family. Lighten up.
Humbly from Utah .. tywahn

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It is important to understand mentally illness. Society needs to be tolerant.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
wdlove said:
It is important to understand mentally illness. Society needs to be tolerant.

Take some time and look up the history of the phrase "Politically Incorrect". It's origins (in the "modern context") will surprise you (think Gingrich-like). That said, let's just say that folks need to say both the story and the replies are just what they are: stupid.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I find this very incensitive and insulting. How can you say something like this is "Stupid" Who the heck approved of this. No Bells or whistles went off? I mean come on.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Koodauw said:
I find this very incensitive and insulting. How can you say something like this is "Stupid" Who the heck approved of this. No Bells or whistles went off? I mean come on.

The phrase itself is a political tool developed about 10 years ago, and soon, because if it's "good sound", became part of the cutural vernacular. My point was, which I guess was missed (but that's easy because at times I'm a bit vague!), is that the phrase itself is meaningless, that the cultural "event" cannot alone be "written off" by a catch phrase that itself, at BEST, is vague.
Also, what I meant was the "news" story itself it's a waste of time and bandwidth. Of COURSE mental illness is serious stuff. But instead of calling such a story that links true news to a dumb act "stupid", folks, because of that mighty (and idiotic) phrase, are afraid to offend. Know what? I am not offended. I know and have loved ones affected. The story and the deeds behind it are idiotic.
Hope that clears up my own take on this. (But it's early, and I haven't had my coffee yet!)
Task for the month: Walk up to ANYONE, and aske them to precisely define the phrase "Polically Incorrect". Anyone. Call some smart folks you know... hang around a think tank... whatever. My bet is not one person will know, or at best their definitions will be all over the map. Possible conclusions: 1. The world is stupid (not likely) 2. Like god, is undefineable but there because of faith (religious fundamentalist nutcases, maybe) 3. The phrase meens nothing, and can be molded to fit any motivation. 4. ??????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.