Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is the S4 worth burning an upgrade if you've got the S3?

• Yes

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 63.0%

• Total voters

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
The experience I had with the S4 was was quite an amazing one, but the experience was the same. Ultimately I returned mine, and am holding out for the Note 3.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
However you'll notice I didn't bash Siri, I simply said it was a gimmick from my perspective. Nor did I advocate for Google Now, as I have no interest in either of those two.

For you to like one over the other, but fail to say why Google Now is an atrocity, is proof that you have no specific problems with it, or you've never used it.

Had you said you like this and that about Siri, as opposed to whatever it is that Google Now fails to do for you, then your credibility as a commentator would have been solid.

That's why so many fights break out, people just bash products without talking about the specifics. Thus it's very suspicious.

Someone like myself that has both can talk about the pros and cons, would enjoy an intelligent conversation, but is turned off by juvenile mud slinging. That comment is NOT directed at you, but rather at the group of people that have no clue what it means to have a discussion as opposed to throwing a tantrum.

I just have no use for "talking" to any phone. Nor do I want one talking to me. Simple. :D

Its not proof that I have no specific problem with it, lol, that's ludicrous. But I should elaborate anyway, I was just kind of tired of venting about Google now in another post and didn't want to sidetrack this thread much more. My point was not that Google now was bad, rather it was that functionality is in the beholders eye.

I can say exactly the same about you, you called siri a gimmick but did NOT say why or list pros or cons. Not only that but gimmick has the obvious connotation of being a useless feature, but you get an A+ for saying it in a polite way. Is your "useless" better than me saying Google now sucks? Not really Imo.

Once again my main point was that siri, while a gimmick for some is incredibly useful for others. I find it indispensable in my daily life, especially driving down me highway at 80 mph. On the other hand Ididnt find a google internet search of my contacts name of any use whatsoever at 80 mph.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
The experience I had with the S4 was was quite an amazing one, but the experience was the same. Ultimately I returned mine, and am holding out for the Note 3.

This is EXACTLY what I needed to hear. If the experience is pretty much the same, then I don't feel the need to use an upgrade to get the S4. Especially since my S3 has such a strong development community already.

I appreciate this response a great deal! :D

Borealis

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009
Singapore

My sentiments too.

Although my time with the S4 was with store demo models only, I felt it was a nicer phone hardware-wise, but software felt pretty much the same as the S3. All the new S-gimmicks are useless to me; I'd upgrade only for the screen, but if the Note 3 has a larger, 1080p screen (vs the S4) and the same external dimensions as the Note 2, then it's ideal for me. So I will wait for the next Nexus/Note/X-phone before making a decision.

I voted 'No'.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
My sentiments too.

Although my time with the S4 was with store demo models only, I felt it was a nicer phone hardware-wise, but software felt pretty much the same as the S3. All the new S-gimmicks are useless to me; I'd upgrade only for the screen, but if the Note 3 has a larger, 1080p screen (vs the S4) and the same external dimensions as the Note 2, then it's ideal for me. So I will wait for the next Nexus/Note/X-phone before making a decision.

I voted 'No'.

Would the note 3 really be tempting if they increase the size to 6 inches?

Borealis

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009
Singapore
Would the note 3 really be tempting if they increase the size to 6 inches?

As long as the overall dimensions don't exceed that of the note 2 and the screen size remains more or less the same, I am happy. If the overall size is larger than the current note, then I would not buy it. The Note 2 is already about the maximum size for comfortable operation for me.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
This is EXACTLY what I needed to hear. If the experience is pretty much the same, then I don't feel the need to use an upgrade to get the S4. Especially since my S3 has such a strong development community already.

I appreciate this response a great deal! :D
You're very welcome. I purchased the S4 with every intention of keeping it but the more I used it, the more I missed my S3. I have my S3 customized the way I like it which took some time. And right now aesthetically speaking the experience was much the same, to burn an upgrade so soon. I'm personally going to hold out to see what some other devices bring to the table. That would be my best advice. Glad I could help! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.