Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors or MacRumours

• MacRumours

Votes: 49 21.4%
  • MacRumors

Votes: 136 59.4%
  • Do not care either way

Votes: 44 19.2%

• Total voters

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Does it not seem a little pointless?

One is a localised spelling, the other is international, however, these days, both are acceptable spellings.

Or are we arguing (sorry, discussing :rolleyes: ) for the point of arguing (discussing)?

:rolleyes:

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Well, since Arn is an American (I think), it ought to stay MacRumors.
Yup, Arn's American. But I'd say it should stay MacRumors because that's the way it is already.

ZOMFG we've found something else to fix that isn't broken! YAaAAY!

Disappointed.tiff

Just want to see what people would prefer.

Since when did MacRumors become a democracy? :p ;)

kabunaru

Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
ZOMFG we've found something else to fix that isn't broken! YAaAAY!

MacRumours would not be broken if it was changed from MacRumors to MacRumours (if that is what most people would prefer).

I go either way on this. I just want to see what people would think about this.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
It should stay MacRumors because: It already is, and MacRumors is the standard English spelling of the the word.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
MacRumours would not be broken if it was changed from MacRumors to MacRumours (if that is what most people would prefer).

I go either way on this. I just want to see what people would think about this.
I'm not saying it will be broken by a change, I'm saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". ;)

It should stay MacRumors because: It already is, and MacRumors is the standard English spelling of the the word.
*giggles*

Hair splitting: MacRumors is not a word. Mac and Rumors are separate words. Rumors is a standard US spelling. Rumours is an international spelling.

But Rumours is more the international standard.
*agrees*

...but the argument of spelling standards is neither here nor there, because both are internationally accepted these days. Neither spelling is 'wrong'.

So it boils down to which you think looks nicer. Or something.

Reactions: G5isAlive

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
So which one would you really want to see then? If you are British, don't you really want to see MacRumours?

I voted for "Do not care either way".

I've been a member here for a long time and it's never bothered me. I've got better things to get annoyed at. Like still living in Britain. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Tagbert

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
This site is an American business owned by Arn. We have no say in how he spells the name of his business. Run along now.

Reactions: G5isAlive

JNB

macrumors 604
Gotta be MacRumours. I'm a Brit and sticking up for our Language in it's pure and unbastardised form.

Remember, the British are European mutts, whilst Yanks are global mutts. British English is an amalgam of bits & pieces from the conquering hordes over the last thousand or so years, whereas the Colonies used that as a starting point and have added to its richness by incorporating additional terms and uses from the Slavic, Asian, and other world languages. ;)

Besides, the British have larger language issues to attend to first, like why I would want to eat something called spotted dick, how bubble & squeak describes the aftermath of consuming that particular dish, why bread pudding isn't, why clotted cream is a good thing, and how shepard's pie sounds like something "left" in a field. :confused:

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
As a Brit, I think it should be MacRumors.

It is a (mainly) American-run website, which originated from an American user.

If the time comes when MacRumors wanted to recognise its international following, they could simply re-direct the MacRumours.com link, to MacRumors.com.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Gotta be MacRumours. I'm a Brit and sticking up for our Language in it's pure and unbastardised form.

You can stick up for 'our' language all you like.

But, its an American run-website, with American roots.

Why should they use our retarded spelling?

[Sorry, I hate that some British spelling add's pointless 'u's]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.