Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I buy an Apple TV now or wait?

• Wait!!!!!

Votes: 43 49.4%
  • DO IT!!!!

Votes: 44 50.6%

• Total voters

pdxa4

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
This isn't the right event for the apple TV It's probably going to be updated along with the iPod's in September. Makes a lot more sense.

Wow interesting, I'm on the fence for getting one, but I can wait for another bit...

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Do it.

Why? Because after you've had one AppleTV for a while, you're going to want a second one for the bedroom/den. I know I do. AND, I love mine so much that I've cut the cord on cable service. .

Totally agree. I too have cut my cable service and want one for my room too.

xyz01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Oslo, Norway
You know an AppleTV with an iPod Touch does almost all the things you listed and still comes in cheaper than Sonos. iPT is a great remote control for the aTV (and of course does a million other things too). aTV can do internet radio -- I use that all the time. You make a playlist in your iTunes of radio stations that you like and then sync the playlist to the aTV. You don't need the iTunes computer on to use the radio stations once you've synced. A poorly advertised but excellent feature of the aTV.

Lastly, you can do multiroom music for parties by adding airport expresses (also cheaper than Sonos). The aTV can be the source (no computer needed if you've synced your music to the aTV) and each aTV/airport express can be individually turned on/off and volume controlled by the iPT. Oh, and if you want to skip a receiver just hook up the express to powered speakers (like Audioengine speakers) or even better to a unit with wireless speakers (like Griffin Evolve) and then you have portable speakers, controlled via the iPT, that you can bring to any room or outside for parties without any wiring.

I already use my IPT for my aTV. Radio doesn't work very well, because of codec issues - almost all radios I want to listen to are WMA, unfortunately. All the other points I had still apply: No hard drive, NAS support, better radio support, multiroom support (e.g. play in sync), amplifier option (for use with e.g. B&W CM1s), no need for external screen for setup/troubleshooting/configuration.

As I also wrote, I have an AppleTV and love that - but that doesn't mean that Sonos don't have features and functionality that isn't in the AppleTV.

As per the thread, I hope a new version comes soon - with SDK, larger hard drive, less heat (and auto power down), 96/24, FLAC support and improved remote. I'd buy that on day 1.

VaDor

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2006
Portugal,Palmela
Well I think is prudent to wait for the next release!

I change all my tv's to HDTV so I think that appletv with at least 720p/1080i output is worth to wait.

480p is not satisfatory for a HDTV.

I have many hd movies in harddisk that I see currently in my iMac or connect my macbook directly to the HDTV, but a apple tv would be much more less pain and enjoyble!!

MAKE at least 720p output apple!!!!! :D

xyz01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Oslo, Norway
Well I think is prudent to wait for the next release!

I change all my tv's to HDTV so I think that appletv with at least 720p/1080i output is worth to wait.

480p is not satisfatory for a HDTV.

I have many hd movies in harddisk that I see currently in my iMac or connect my macbook directly to the HDTV, but a apple tv would be much more less pain and enjoyble!!

MAKE at least 720p output apple!!!!! :D

AppleTV supports 1080p. It may not have the horsepower to display files in this resolution, though.

I think the movie rentals are 720p - I don't know, as AppleTV has an annoying shortcoming here in Norway: It won't let me spend money renting movies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.