Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xwk88

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
can I forward a port to multiple ip con a network say I want to forward a port on all computers for 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.115 now this is a wireless linksys router and I'm trying to set up a VNC (not all computers are windows)
does anyone have any idea how to do this if it is possible that is

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
No, it doesn't even make sense. If you're forwarding say port 178 to 192.168.1.1, it can't be forwarded to anything else....it's already going somewhere.

However, you can try Port Triggering where it starts forwarding it when needed. This might work if you make multiple entries for each computer and then the one that needs it will work.

monkeydo_jb

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2002
Columbia, MO
I second what ITASOR said.

Alternatively, you could tell VNC to listen on a different port on each computer.

I believe default is 5900, so you could change the VNC server on 192.168.1.1 to listen on port 5901, and so on so it makes sense.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
monkeydo_jb said:
I believe default is 5900, so you could change the VNC server on 192.168.1.1 to listen on port 5901, and so on so it makes sense.

Good idea, that would work.

xwk88

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
thanks and sorry if I made no sence I'm trying to see how to access different computer in a lan from the internet so would say outsideIp:5900(XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:5900) access one computer and outsideIP:5901 access another if so that's is even more helpful to me thanks on any answers.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
xwk88 said:
thanks and sorry if I made no sence I'm trying to see how to access different computer in a lan from the internet so would say outsideIp:5900(XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:5900) access one computer and outsideIP:5901 access another if so that's is even more helpful to me thanks on any answers.

Thats a great way to do it, but I would caution you that exposing VNC to the outside world is a security risk, password or not. If I had to do this I would at least change the ports to something WAAAAAY far away from the dafult number. If someone was doing a port scan they would see 5900,5901 and figure you were doing what you describe and start to hack away. If its totally different someone might overlook it.

But we all know that security thorugh obscurity is not security. Can you set up a VPN to access these computers in stead of using VNC?

xwk88

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
no Idea what VPN is and it's nothing but a home network there is nothing in here but pictures and ome stuff just need it for helping some people who are new to mac they merelly use email and play flash games I don't think any hackers would be interested in that. but I'd just like to say I did manage to connect to a computer thru internet. thanks for all of you guy's help.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
This wouldn't work...

The multiple computers would ALL be contacted with a VNC request, and whatever you are using to connect to those computers would receive numerous replies, causing confusion.

Have a different outside port become the normal VNC port on the inside, and forward different external ports to different internal IPs.

Such as:
Port 3456 on the outside is forwarded to VNC's inside port and IP#1
Port 3457 on the outside is forwarded to VNC's inside port and IP#2
Port 3458 on the outside is forwarded to VNC's inside port and IP#3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.