Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jzlomie26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
Plainfield, Illinois
Hey All,

So a few weeks back I downloaded Windows 10 and installed it as a Parallels VM. I used a Windows 8 ISO, activated my product key, and then upgraded from there. Is there a way for Parallels to export my virtual machine such that I can install it on a Bootcamp partition?

Or do I simply have to do a reinstall via Bootcamp?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I think you'll have to reinstall although don't expect your Windows 10 license to work.
When you activated it on the VM it locked it to that hardware configuration.
If you reinstall it in Bootcamp Windows will interpret it as a completely different computer.

St-knaus

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2015
I think you'll have to reinstall although don't expect your Windows 10 license to work.
When you activated it on the VM it locked it to that hardware configuration.
If you reinstall it in Bootcamp Windows will interpret it as a completely different computer.
I saw, that in Parallels 11 the issue with boot camp and VM activation has been resolved, but as for me i didn't test it yet..

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I saw, that in Parallels 11 the issue with boot camp and VM activation has been resolved, but as for me i didn't test it yet..

A lot of people in this thread are still having the problem.
https://forum.parallels.com/threads/windows-10-bootcamp-vm-cant-validate.328996/

It started out as a Parallels 10 thread but as it goes on people with 11 are saying the problem persists.
I don't believe it's a problem that's going to be fixed either. Using the same Windows license for a Bootcamp installation and in a VM is a violation of the license terms. Simple as that.
People can use the Microsoft support phone number and lie about how many installations they're using but other than that the only way Parallels can fix it is to start including a Windows license and I doubt they're going to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.