Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexfic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
hi I was just getting a backup from my new macbook pro but I accidently unplugged my external hard drive while it was transferring data. I freaked out . then a window came up indicating that "disk not ejected properly". but when i restarted and connected the external drive again; everything was working fine. do you think is there any possibility of hardware damage (to computer or external drive) ;or the only danger is data corruption ?? thanks in advance

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
hi I was just getting a backup from my new macbook pro but I accidently unplugged my external hard drive while it was transferring data. I freaked out . then a window came up indicating that "disk not ejected properly". but when i restarted and connected the external drive again; everything was working fine. do you think is there any possibility of hardware damage (to computer or external drive) ;or the only danger is data corruption ?? thanks in advance

The danger is data corruption as stated but to be honest that hasn't really been an issue for a decade this seems to be a legacy from older systems where this really could be an issue that Apple have never removed.

Alexfic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
What hasn't been an issue? Unplugging a drive while data being written to it is absolutely a data corruption issue.
so I dont need to worry about damage to my own new mac??!! (I know you said but just to confirm :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If everthing is still working ok, don't worry over it.
Run Disk Utility's "repair disk" function on the external drive, just to be sure.

xPad

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
What hasn't been an issue? Unplugging a drive while data being written to it is absolutely a data corruption issue.
HFS+ Journaled

Additionally, recommended programming processes of using temporary files for saves, then moving them into place once the write is completed.

It can still happen, but it's not the issue it used to be.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.