Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquidhax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Hello,

I was recently challenged to fix this laptop and from the limited amount that I have read online, this appears to be a common issue with this gpu. I could be wrong, but this sounds like an overheating issue. It appeared to be the case with this macbook that I just "fixed" anyway.

What I did:
Completely took apart the macbook pro, removed the old thermal compound on the cpu/intel gpu and nvidia gpu. Applied heat with a utility lighter for 10 minutes each on the cpu/gpu combo and nvidia gpu.

Reapplied thermal compound

Put together MBP

Applied thermal pads underneath the ram modules on the logic board.

I've had the MBP on for 9 hours straight so far with no issues. I have tried YouTube, DVD Playback, xCode, and basically anything that comes with Yosemite stock. I am about to download steam and try to push it with games, but I am fairly optimistic that this shouldn't be a problem. My friend told me that it wouldn't even last an hour before shutting down on him. In fact, I am starting this thread right from this very macbook.

Here is how the thermal pads look applied to the logic board:
ZHQOQH4.jpg

Anything else I should test that I might possibly be missing? This is a pretty nice machine...considering the fact that I got it for free.
----------

Also, I apologize if this is the wrong section for this.

:apple:

Liquidhax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Another quick update, I just played Portal 2 for about an hour and FEZ for about 25 minutes and so far so good. Will do some more tests tomorrow, but a positive day 1 so far.

Still running with graphic switching disabled and exclusively on the nvidia 330M

Last edited:

dsipal

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2015
Hey, I have this issue as well and have ordered some arctic compound to attempt your fix. When you applied the heat with the utility lighter was it the torch kind and was the purpose to reflow the board? I'm nervous about this step as my laptop works when I am using gfxcardstatus, and it is my main workstation. Also is this fix still working for you? Thank you.

Another quick update, I just played Portal 2 for about an hour and FEZ for about 25 minutes and so far so good. Will do some more tests tomorrow, but a positive day 1 so far.

Still running with graphic switching disabled and exclusively on the nvidia 330M

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.