Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tooch196

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Cali
For awhile now I too have experienced slow shut down times also the desktop background resetting when i restart or shutdown. I went into system preferences, then to security and I disabled automatic login. I have to login everytime i power up now. It has fixed my issue with the desktop background resetting original also, seems my shutdown times have greatly improved also. Lemme know if this worked for anybody else. Thanks

Last edited:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
The things you have done are entirely unrelated to slow shutdowns. I suspect that somewhere your tweaks forced a rebuild of permissions and purged a few things temporarily.

The shutdown issue will be back.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Agree 100%. Give it a few days or even less. It will return

Type these commands into the terminal window one by one and right after terminal repair permissions in the disc utility. You will be asked to enter your password after the first entry....You will notice a 3 second shutdown

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 1

tooch196

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Cali
I hear ya I can't explain it. Im more pleased that the desktop background isn't constantly resetting every time i power down or reset. Its been 3 days so far and the long shut down times haven't been back yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.