Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An anonymous tipster has submitted a photo of a possible preproduction iPhone 7 dummy unit that could easily be fake, but offers a good visual representation of rumors surrounding the next-generation smartphone.

The unverified photo shows what appears to be a silver iPhone 7 with a similar form factor as the iPhone 6s, beyond at least three notable differences.

iPhone-7-dummy-2.jpg

The first is the absence of rear antenna bands, giving the rear shell a cleaner all-metal look. Earlier this year, a previously reliable source informed us that Apple would indeed remove the antenna bands across the rear of the iPhone 7.

The antenna bands would instead be repositioned along the top and bottom edges of the iPhone, as shown in a number of mockups such as our own below. The bands slightly extend to the side edges of the iPhone akin to the current design.

iphone7mockupantennabands.jpg

The second is the inclusion of a Smart Connector, first introduced on the iPad Pro, that could allow for both data and power transfer between the iPhone 7 and accessories. Speculation about the port's exact role on the iPhone 7 has ranged from battery case connectivity to wireless charging.

Multiple reports have claimed the next iPhone will feature a Smart Connector, supported by a purported image of the iPhone 7 Plus featuring the port, but the latest word from oft-reliable Japanese website Mac Otakara suggests Apple may have ditched those plans until at least next year or perhaps indefinitely.

A third difference is what appears to be a flush camera lens, without the infamous protruding ring found on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s series. Early rumors pointed towards a flush design, but more recent rumors suggest the camera could remain slightly convex. The photo does not depict a dual-lens camera system, which could be exclusive to the iPhone 7 Plus. The microphone and LED flash remain unchanged.

iphone-dummy-2.jpg

A possible fourth but less distinguishable change may be the absence of a 3.5mm headphone jack, which multiple sources claimed would be removed on the iPhone 7. This rumor also carries some uncertainty with it after images of a possible Lightning cable assembly with a headphone jack, considered to be appropriate for the next iPhone, surfaced last week.

However, despite rumors claiming the iPhone 7 could also have stereo speakers, there still appears to be only one grille to the left of a Lightning port and microphone on the bottom. If ever realized, dual speakers could possibly be exclusive to the larger iPhone 7 Plus/Pro or delayed until the 2017 iPhone with an OLED display and glass casing.

Earlier today, a claimed design drawing of the iPhone 7 pointed towards the next-generation smartphone having the same length and width as the iPhone 6s. The device's overall form factor is expected to resemble the iPhone 6 from 2014, resulting in three consecutive generations of the same design beyond minor tweaks.

Other rumored features for the iPhone 7 series include a faster TSMC-built A10 chip, touch-sensitive home button, waterproofing and dustproofing, faster Intel LTE modems, and a slightly larger battery. At this point, however, it is still not entirely clear which features are designated for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, expected to be announced in September, or the OLED-based iPhone due in 2017.

Article Link: Possible iPhone 7 Dummy Unit Showcases Removed Antenna Bands, Smart Connector, and Flush Camera

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
Can't believe they spent time worrying about the antenna bands. We are only going to cover it with a case. Maybe if they could make the corners impact resistant, make the phone so it wasn't like holding a wet bar of soap we could them leave the case off and care more about how the phone looks.

vavalent

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
I wonder why there is at least one year for further research, yet the most obvious design modification (in the aspect of appearance) is solely removal of a portion of the bands. This, if it turns out to be the final design, looks lazy actually.

Reactions: jef82

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
The smart connector really makes me think this is fake. Apple isn't going to put something important on the back of the phone where everyone puts cases, are they? What would the smart connector even be for?

Reactions: AlphaHumanus

Romy90210

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
And thats the phone/design they hope will bring back the stock to it's glorious days?????? I see the Stock hitting the $30 mark before they even release sale numbers.... Apple has lost it's touch and will soon become #3 in the list....
[doublepost=1462810132][/doublepost]
The smart connector really makes me think this is fake. Apple isn't going to put something important on the back of the phone where everyone puts cases, are they? What would the smart connector even be for?

Smart cases, Battery Cases???? Just a thought..

stephannikolic

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2015
This is obviously photoshopped ... The area around the camera and the removed antenna line is patchy, and basically it would take 5 mins to do this: clone out the ring around the camera & the antenna line and paste some circles for the "smart connector" ... Move on, nothing to see here ...

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
3 years with the same design.

I'm sure Tim will be happy as this will give him some extra profits..too bad i won't be buying it.

Reactions: Sandstorm

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Just shows we can't believe everything we see. There will be plenty more rumours between now and September. I'm not believing anything until Phil Schiller unveils it on stage.

Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I don't understand why antenna bands are different shade than aluminum finish. Granted, different materials mean they won't look exactly the same but I would think it would look better overall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.