Possible new owner, some questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dwightkschrute, Jan 15, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

So there is a pretty good deal on craigslist around my neck of the woods and i have some questions. The macbook air 1st gen, has a broken hinge and the guy already upgraded and wants to get rid of the air. So i want to buy the laptop and fix it. So i have been lurking around here and it turns out apple is covering the broken hinge problem from what i have been reading, correct?

So I am thinking about buying the macbook air and letting the apple geniuses look at it and take it in for repair. If i get the repair for free, i think it would be a great deal. So my question is if i buy it off of craigslist can i just bring the air straight to the apple store? or are there extra steps?

2. thread starter macrumors newbie

any help would be appreciated

3. simsaladimbamba

No extra steps involved. How much do you have to pay for it?
    www.mac2sell.net and eBay are good price matching opportunities.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. the guy wants 450 it. I think im gonna go for. ill shoot him an email

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

any more input before i pull the trigger?

6. macrumors G4

$450 sounds like a bit much for one with a broken hinge. If it doesn't get fixed, then it will cost to replace the hinge. Also, does it have a hard drive or an SSD? The hard drive is really slow on the Rev A. Even the SSD is no speed demon. For about $900 you can get a used Rev B with the SSD from many resellers.

7. macrumors regular

Appleind

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe its the one with a hard drive. Is it that slow? im gonna mainly use it for word processing, some music playing, web browsing, mainly just school stuff.

i used mac2sell and it said it was worth $570. I guess its not that great of a deal. I was comparing prices on craigslist and i guess they are just really high for the same model, average is $700, so i thought it was a great deal. I really want something light weight within $500 so netbook or macbook air are my top choices. I really want the macbook air, im gonna call the apple store and see what they say. If they say they can repair free of cost, i might just get the macbook with the broken hinge.