Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
I got this today from a friend of mine.

"I heard it from my friend who just came over and stole my USB cable because his firewire didn't work. He tried 2 diff. cards and still nothing. So I lent him my USB so he can upload everything and enjoy some music.

He said he went to the Apple store at the mall today and it was packed with pissed off iPod owners because they were all sold out of USB cables. This was the first I had heard of it also and I'm quite supprised i haven't seen anything on the boards. Maybe its just a local problem."

I haven't heard of anything about this until now. Has anyone else heard anything about this firewire issue?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Not all PC Firewire ports are powered, can't remember if that made them non-functional or not.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i highly doubt those pissed off customers were buying usb cause the firewire didnt work, but because they simply didnt have firewire.

iJon

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Not sure about the firewire ports being powered or not..

But most PC's have atleast 1 firewire port on them today if not more.

On my old Compaq that I bought in 00' it had 1 firewire400 port on it. Though I doubt it worked since both CD and DVD drives went out on that sucker within a 2 yr period..and then Windows died.

Then I bought a Mac. Over 1 yr running and still not one issue with the OS or hardware.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
The store was an Apple Store in NY mall.
Started with a W I think.

aldo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
England, UK
Personally I think it's pretty disgraceful for Apple to sell all these iPod's and not bundle a USB connector in there... It's not as if these are cheap pieces of kit...

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
Well regardless of who buys the ipod, apple's top priority is to support it's own computers with accessories. If alot of windows users buy it in an uneducated fashion(sorry windows people but the majority of the population know only 2 things about their computer, the Run Windows XP and they know who made it). The ipod was originally a Mac thing and still is. Supports been added because of demand but Apples number one target is their own mac users. If that means some users must spend another 20 bucks then so be it. It's not their fault.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by aldo
Personally I think it's pretty disgraceful for Apple to sell all these iPod's and not bundle a USB connector in there... It's not as if these are cheap pieces of kit...
ive explained this in othe threads and i will do it in this one. apple should not include usb cables, and ill tell you why. 1 being most ipod users use the firewire port, i would assume over 80 percent if you ask me. 2 being i know for certain tha some mac users would open their new ipod box, and use the usb cable and plug it into the usb ports on the keyboard and then flood apple's support lines with pissed off people. if not including the usb cable would hurt apple it already would have.

iJon

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
This is a case of the squeaky wheel. You have a relatively small group of people (in perspective) complaining about a trivial problem loud enough to make it seem like everyone is having it. Does your car come with jumper cables? I bet you probably went out and bought a pair anyway without complaining.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Macpoops
This is a case of the squeaky wheel. You have a relatively small group of people (in perspective) complaining about a trivial problem loud enough to make it seem like everyone is having it. Does your car come with jumper cables? I bet you probably went out and bought a pair anyway without complaining.
exactly this guy is one of the few people who chose to use usb over firewire. apple shouldnt sacrifice profits to meet the needs of a small group of people. they provide the necessary cables, the user has a choice, buy a firewire card or buy the usb cable, most have the firewire port so this isnt a problem.

iJon

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Well I found out if a PC user doesn't have it's firewire card updated to the latest drivers then it won't work and if they don't have a non SBP-2 compliant firewire controller card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.