Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
We (Switzerland) have the same FCC and other regulation things on the back.

Just a thought I had: what if this new colour iphone comes as a 16gb-only-option while the new iPhone 5S will start at 32GB? It's overdue to rise the storage. And it solves the problem of a product diversity: only one size for each colour! and for more storage, better quality, camera etc you can get the iphone 5s

Your thought has already been discussed in this thread.

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
I have a 5 and in 2 weeks i have an upgrade I was going to give to my wife to replace her 4S, but she likes these colorful ones. Might just save the upgrade and buy her this one outright, less the $250 I'll get for the 4S. These things might exert some downward pricing pressure on older iPhone models.

g88bo

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
Just a thought I had: what if this new colour iphone comes as a 16gb-only option while the new iPhone 5S will start at 32GB? It's overdue to rise the storage. And it solves the problem of a product diversity: only one size for each colour! and for more storage, better quality, camera etc you can get the iphone 5s

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
Heinously ugly.

tumblr_inline_mnoyxzzACy1qz4rgp.gif

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
I really hope they don't do all white faces like with the iPod touch. A black front + light blue back would be a real nice combo.

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
I can't believe no one mentioned the iOS 7 color scheme and compared these phone shells to the Nokia Lumias:
nokia_lumia_510_official.jpg

and
Nokia_Lumia_620.jpg

what about
nokia-lumia-920-and-lumia-820-635.jpg

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
So then you must know that lots of stuff has come in multiple colors and people have survived doing inventory.

I don't think you understand the issue as you must not have worked in higher workings of the brick and mortar retail before.

When you have multiple colors you then have to plan which colors and how many to keep at the different levels of your supply chain. When it is a new product you don't know which "colors" are going to sell at what rate. You also have different demographics in different areas.

So if you don't get your inventory forecast just right then you have dissatisfied customers asking how come you don't stock the "yellow" ones. Well we did but they sold out, we have lots of orange ones though. They have that problem now with just two colors!

You are not talking about inexpensive items, these are $600+.

It is just another thing that pushes users to online.

To this day I still have friends who worked higher up in some large retail outlets that absolutely HATE Apple for the whole multi-colored iMac inventory fiasco.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I really hope they don't do all white faces like with the iPod touch. A black front + light blue back would be a real nice combo.

I completely agree. White fronts are too distracting even on white phones. The contrast is just jarring. Black fronts gives devices very clean unified look.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
If in doubt - and you need to distract your user base away from the fact you've not had any decent innovative ideas for the past two years ....colourise! :D

get real. iPad mini is the thinnest and best new tablet. iPhone 5 is the best newish handset. the iMacs are fantastic and the new pro is incredible. the new MacBook pros and airs are best in class.

what on earth do you want in a handset? flying cheeseburgers coming out the screen?

----------

the antennas might end up working better/no more antenna-gate.

what? what antenna problems? they don't exist for the iPhone any more than other handsets.

----------

This makes your front page, but you push Apple being sued for anti-competitive practices to the iOS Blog?

Get it together guys.

where's your blog?

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
I don't think there will ever be a "low-cast" iPhone.

You can get the 4 for... $0.

Is that not cheap enough............?

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Man, o man, the people that are stewing in their own juices: "Apple would never make a plastic crap iPhone"...

I think it's a smart move by Apple. I'll take an orange one.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
I don't think you understand the issue as you must not have worked in higher workings of the brick and mortar retail before.

When you have multiple colors you then have to plan which colors and how many to keep at the different levels of your supply chain. When it is a new product you don't know which "colors" are going to sell at what rate. You also have different demographics in different areas.

So if you don't get your inventory forecast just right then you have dissatisfied customers asking how come you don't stock the "yellow" ones. Well we did but they sold out, we have lots of orange ones though. They have that problem now with just two colors!

You are not talking about inexpensive items, these are $600+.

It is just another thing that pushes users to online.

To this day I still have friends who worked higher up in some large retail outlets that absolutely HATE Apple for the whole multi-colored iMac inventory fiasco.

Exactly the point.

1) The US is one of the only markets that subsidizes phone. For all comparison purposes, the iPhone 4 is $450 unlocked. So no, not that cheap.
2) You can bet your ass this phone will replace the $0 subsidized slot in the iPhone lineup so that all iPhone sold from September 2013 (or whenever) on will be the same screen size and use the same connector. They are trying to get rid of products with the 30-pin. That's why this new colored iPhone will be in the $349-$449 range unlocked, and both the 4 and 4S will be discontinued upon its launch.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ

...with a 2-year contract. Your view is restricted to the US. These will most likely be popular in international and emerging markets where buying a phone unlocked is more common.

----

I would have to see the phones in person to judge their colors. Apple products have leaked before and have rarely (in my view) looked as good as the promo images or as in person. But honestly, as I've said before, they could literally have a Zune brown iPhone and I wouldn't care. Someone will like it, and I'm not one to deny someone that choice.

jtruong

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2013
For Teenagers and Third World Countries

Now, it all makes sense to release these lower spec colorful iPhones, first for those who can't afford the high end ones, second for kids. If your whole family are using iPhones, you wouldn't want to give your kids expensive ones, but these budget iPhones since most of the stuffs they do are: Facebook, Tweeter, Instagram, Picture, Facetime/Skype, Text and Calls. For family, same ecosystem is great for communication (facetime, imessage and find my phone to track your family...). The market for teenagers and those in India, China, 3rd world countries are huge. I can see a high end (iPhone 5s/6) to be released at the same time to knock current iPhone 5 down to 2nd tier while discontinue iPhone 4/4s completely. So the price could be: $650, $529 and $399 for iPhone 5s/6, iPhone 5 and this cheap iPhone or $199, $99 and free with carrier contract.
For the price, it should be less than $400 or free with contract. So for a family of 4, 2 high end iPhones at $199 each for adults and 2 cheap iPhones for kids at $0 with contract.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
I think people need a giant kick up the bum to make them recall what FUN MEANS... and Apple did it first, you BORING lot...

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
i think most of these look ugly and cheap.

best idea of a plastic iPhone for consumers wouldve been this concept based on the original bondi blue imac, in varied colors;

While that looks great, one of the potential problems is that the plastic may be more susceptible to cracking when dropped compared to the leaked images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.