Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zpmqxonw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Hi!

After some great advice from the guys on these forums, I decided to buy a refurbished iBook. I got a great deal on a 1.2 Ghz 12 inch iBook through the Apple Refurbished store but I have been waiting since February 22! I've been without a computer for almost a month now, which is not good for a college student, especially because I need to type up my notes and study for finals!

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody knows if it is possible to pick up a refurbished iBook at the Apple Store? I am very lucky to live close by to 3 Apple Stores and it would be worth it to me to drive down if I can get it quicker.

Thanks!

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I've been around retail Apple stores, when I travel, and I've never seen refurbs. I'm fairly certain they are only available at the on-line Apple store, which only makes sense.

amartins02

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2005
Actually the apple store near me (Boston) does have them. They said "There not refurbished! We prefer to call them refreshed!!" Hey whatever floats your boat.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yeah, but...

amartins02 said:
Actually the apple store near me (Boston) does have them. They said "There not refurbished! We prefer to call them refreshed!!" Hey whatever floats your boat.

Refreshed are models that are returned without any defects.
Refurbished models are only sold online, and are computers that were returned defective (one way or another, I don't think they will ever say why), fixed and then resold.
Refreshed models will almost always be more expensive and are more rare.

Isn't your edu discount for a new model about the same as a refurbished? Why wouldn't you use that?

zpmqxonw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
The educational discount is not quite as cheap as the refurbished one I ordered. I ordered a 12 inch iBook 1.2 ghz, Airport Extreme, Combo drive for 849.99. That makes the difference, about $100 (the 1.2 ghz 12 inch combo sells for 949.99 with educational discount). I might try the apple developers thing though, do you know if I would be able to use my discount right away?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
amartins02 said:

My wife was at the Chestnut Hill Mall yesterday. She was told that they had refurbished iBooks in the back room available. Didn't really investigate it further.

zpmqxonw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
I've just called all four apple stores in the Seattle area and one of them told me they have a floor model for sale. Are the floor models in as good of shape as the refurbished ones? Is there any differences between the floor models and the refurbished/refreshed ones?

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
The way it works ( at least at my local Apple store in Chandler, AZ) is that, on the last weekend of every month, they have what they call a "Fire Sale" and they sell all of their refreshed Macs and other gear. These are either units that had previously been floor models, or computers that people purchased and then returned. In either case, they have been cleaned and the OS restored to out-of-the-box condition. Because of this, they still have the Apple one-year warranty. You can get some great deals if you get their early enough. I bought my 15" Powerbook 1.25 there for $1699.00. It had been a floor model, but had one little dead pixel in the middle of the screen. For that price I don't even notice it!

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
I've seen some when I visited an Apple store in Glendale, CA. Yeah, they were ones that people returned. One thing though, they were "stock" models.

I recently purchase a refurb pB, and couldn't be happier!

Good Luck! :D

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Our Apple Store has a back table of "small" refurb stuff like Airport Expresses, iPods, LaCie disks, etc. Things about the size of a Mac Mini.

They also have a STACK on boxes that are a mix of eMacs, iMac G5s, and Cinema Displays. All look opened.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had more boxes in the back of things that were harder to open or just don't want out front.

glennsan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Midwest USA
Referbished at AS?

At the AS I work at every now and then we get items from the company to sell. Some have been referbished. Others are returns. If you are willing to by on the spot you can get some good prices.

ellisongs

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2005
I've purchased both an iBook and an emac from the refreshed table here in Michigan. They were both cheaper than the refurbished ones on the Apple sight. Today I added a refreshed iPod Mini to the list today. It appears to be new and was only $129.00

I only paid $749.00 for the iBook G3 900mhz a year ago last Feb and just sold it for $700.00 with plans to buy a Powerbook when I see a refreshed deal.

zpmqxonw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Well, I went to the Apple Store in Alderwood Mall and bought an iBook g4, Combo, 1.2 ghz. I love it so far, but is there anything else I should install on it?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I talked to a salesperson at the Orlando Apple Store about wanting a refurb PowerBook and he said that they never had any--only refreshed products and they were somewhat more than the refurbished. He was also surprised and said that I was the only person who wanted a refurb instead of new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.