Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhornbeck5964

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
To transfer a CD to my shuffle, I first convert and transfer the audio files to computer then drag and drop them to my shuffle. Having no need for the files on my computer I delete them. When i delete them out of my library, they are also automatically removed from my shuffle... IS THERE ANY WAY TO AVOID THIS?!?! settings, 3rd party software, anything!

second,
its a hassle and takes longer transferring music from a CD->computer->shuffle. is there any way to transfer music on a CD directly to the shuffle??? any way to do it at all?? i have a zen micro also and the software it comes with has this somewhat basic feature- ripping a CD straight to the device. no way to do it with itunes!?!? im really beginning to hate apple and wish i never purchased their product.
someone help! thanks- ross

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
rhornbeck5964 said:
To transfer a CD to my shuffle, I first convert and transfer the audio files to computer then drag and drop them to my shuffle. Having no need for the files on my computer I delete them. When i delete them out of my library, they are also automatically removed from my shuffle... IS THERE ANY WAY TO AVOID THIS?!?! settings, 3rd party software, anything!

second,
its a hassle and takes longer transferring music from a CD->computer->shuffle. is there any way to transfer music on a CD directly to the shuffle??? any way to do it at all?? i have a zen micro also and the software it comes with has this somewhat basic feature- ripping a CD straight to the device. no way to do it with itunes!?!? im really beginning to hate apple and wish i never purchased their product.
someone help! thanks- ross
Go into iTunes Preferences and change the setting to manually update songs.

rhornbeck5964

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
skubish said:
Go into iTunes Preferences and change the setting to manually update songs.

where?? i click edit->preferrences-> .... no option for "maunually" updating songs

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
rhornbeck5964 said:
where?? i click edit->preferrences-> .... no option for "maunually" updating songs
Under the iPod tab of the preferences.
Also if you have your shuffle plugged in, you can right click on its icon in itunes and choose options.

rhornbeck5964

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
skubish said:
Under the iPod tab of the preferences.
Also if you have your shuffle plugged in, you can right click on its icon in itunes and choose options.

under the iPod tab of preferrences i see:

Open iTunes when this iPod is attached
Keep this iPod in the source list
Only update checked songs
Convert higher bitrate songs to 128kbps AAC for this iPod
Use Sound Check
Enable disk use...choose how much space will be reserved for songs versus data.

the word 'manually' does not appear.. those are the only 6 options above

rhornbeck5964

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Lacero said:
Don't delete the MP3 files. Problem solved.

this was a gift for my sister, i dont want to be forced to store her crappy music on my computer...
im forced to use a half gig of memory- storing my sisters crappy @$$ music, otherwise itunes goes anal cause its not on my computer and deletes the sh*t off the shuffle too... wtf?!?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
LoL. I guess you have 2 choices then.

Burn it on CD-R or never update her shuffle again.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Picture.png

Its right here on mine.
It might be in a different spot if you are using Windoze.

rhornbeck5964

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
skubish said:
Picture.png

Its right here on mine.
It might be in a different spot if you are using Windoze.

hmmmm well does anyone with windows know how to delete songs off the library only (not shuffle simultaneously!!!)... if apples can do it im sure windows can...

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
You could have the "Open iTunes when this iPod is attached" option unchecked, then never run iTunes when you have your shuffle connected.

Not tried this myself, but does it still do this if you have "Keep this iPod in the source list" unchecked?

The "Manually manage songs" is only for "larger" iPods, not the shuffle.

rhornbeck5964

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
i have tried searching help and all i find in the wretched help is this:

By default, when you connect an iPod, iPod nano, or iPod mini to your computer iTunes automatically transfers the songs and playlists in your iTunes library to your iPod, and deletes songs from your iPod that aren't in your library.

.... no solution

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Once the songs are loaded onto the Shuffle, disconnect it. Then delete the songs from your iTunes library. (Give Shuffle to sister as gift). Then never plug that Shuffle back into your computer. How is that NOT a solution?

rhornbeck5964

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Whyren said:
You could have the "Open iTunes when this iPod is attached" option unchecked, then never run iTunes when you have your shuffle connected.

Not tried this myself, but does it still do this if you have "Keep this iPod in the source list" unchecked?

The "Manually manage songs" is only for "larger" iPods, not the shuffle.

thanks for the reply whiren.. glad to see im not the only one frusturated with apples not-so-user-friendly software. or maybe its toooooo easy to use. are there any other sorts of programs that allow you to transfer OR delete songs onto or off the shuffle?? iTunes is clearly too flippen retarded to manage this simple task... #$%@$#% thanks...

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
Another idea: Keep the unwanted files in your library, but simply uncheck them when you're not copying songs...if they're unchecked, iTunes won't play them. Then, when you do update the iPod, check those songs again.
(An easy way to check/uncheck would be to keep the "unwanted songs" in a single playlist).

More bizarre idea: Store the mp3s as actual files on the shuffle, then drag them into the iTunes library (as long as you have "Copy files to iTunes Music folder" unchecked). When the shuffle is disconnected, the files won't be found and should then be skipped and since they won't be on your drive, should take no space (just an unused listing in iTunes). When the shuffle is connected, the music would then be available, so it shouldn't delete the files. You'd have 2 copies of each file on the shuffle then, but I think it's another possible way.

rhornbeck5964

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
dejo said:
Once the songs are loaded onto the Shuffle, disconnect it. Then delete the songs from your iTunes library. (Give Shuffle to sister as gift). Then never plug that Shuffle back into your computer. How is that NOT a solution?

in the future, if she wants to add or delete only selected songs... wouldnt be possible without completely deleting everything first and retransferring everything again. and whats the use in an mp3 player that forces you to permanently keep songs on the device and the computer, with no flexibility or options in choosing which you want it or dont want... youre trapped into keeping the files on both the computer and the device. no way around it ?!?!?!!

rhornbeck5964

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Whyren said:
Another idea: Keep the unwanted files in your library, but simply uncheck them when you're not copying songs...if they're unchecked, iTunes won't play them. Then, when you do update the iPod, check those songs again.
(An easy way to check/uncheck would be to keep the "unwanted songs" in a single playlist).

the whole purpose though is to completely remove her music from my computer... its quite an easy concept:
i want to be able to put a cd in the computer-transfer the songs to the computer then to the shuffle (only way) then once the songs are on the shuffle i want to be able to delete them off my computer. iTunes allows you to do this, but for some reason deletes the songs off the shuffle too! whats the point?? why would they not add this feature to the program? i dont get it

rhornbeck5964

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
has anyone discovered a solution yet???? or even another application other than POS iTunes?? thanks

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
rhornbeck5964 said:
hmmmm well does anyone with windows know how to delete songs off the library only (not shuffle simultaneously!!!)... if apples can do it im sure windows can...

Nowhere does it say that the Mac can do it there. I recommend you peruse the manual for the device and see what it can and can not do. If you are outside the limitations for the device, which you are not necessarily, then you will know. Also, does your sister not have her own user account? How often would she sync her shuffle anyways.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
rhornbeck5964 said:
has anyone discovered a solution yet???? or even another application other than POS iTunes?? thanks

There are some iTunes alternatives for Windows that don't use the shuffle's autofill feature. Google it. The best solution with the best functionality is to leave the music there. If she doesn't have any other computer to use, then that's just part of being a brother.

xy14

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2004
Minneapolis
God, er, Justin has the answer!

I think what you are wanting is to extract music from cds and putting them right on your ipod without manually extracting and deleting? If so:

It is rather simple using 3rd party apps. (simple google search, 'cd to ipod')

The only one I actually tested is called, quite to the point, Rip to iPod 1.0.
It is pretty much a plugin in iTunes that allows you to put in a CD and it will automatically add the songs to your library, send to iPod, and then delete right away. The downside is this is Mac only if you use Windows.
Link: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20023

Another app is unfortunately Windows only, so I was not able to test it but it is supposed to transfer from CD to iPod without even involving your hard drive. It is called, also to the point, Cd 2 iPod. The really really downside to this is that there is a 30-day trial and if you wish to use it more than 30 days, it's gonna cost you $15. (ps, its the cost of owning a PeeCee.)
Link: http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/products/php/product.php?session_langid=2&idstring=0039

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.