Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
^ That's sorta the way I would like my hair. How long did it take to get that length?

Can anyone offer me some advice on growing my hair to this length? Should I just keep going to the hairdressers and getting it thinned out but not cut or should I just leave it until it's that length? I have been thinking of getting it thinned because it's pretty thick but don't want to add loads of time onto my hair getting longer. Also, do I want it layered? What does this do/mean?

Shaun.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If your hair is not extremely straight, you definitely want to keep getting it trimmed so that the lengths stay even. I think if your hair is very straight this isn't a big issue. But if you let it grow say 1.5 inches and then chop off a quarter inch and repeat (get your hair cut every six weeks or so) it will definitely look better over time than if you just let it grow without cuts. I have mixed feelings about thinning shears...I've had that done before, and sometimes I like it, and sometimes I don't.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I straighten my hair using straightening irons :D. I haven't had it cut in ages however I got it thinned out a bit, only a bit quite a while ago. My hair is very bushy and out of place if I do not straighten it. Also, my fringe is very thick. My hair seems to be growing very slowly :(.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I straighten my hair using straightening irons :D. I haven't had it cut in ages however I got it thinned out a bit, only a bit quite a while ago.

I think it'll actually look better both straight and curled if you get slight trims to even it out. Also it'll catch on the straightening iron less too. :D I use one sometimes, but the problem I have is that unless it is a dry day here in the Sunshine State, my hair will poof out. :(

nitynate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2006
Clearwater, FL
I straighten my hair using straightening irons :D. I haven't had it cut in ages however I got it thinned out a bit, only a bit quite a while ago. My hair is very bushy and out of place if I do not straighten it.
Also, before using your iron on it and before applying the Dirt, use Redken Align.
Also if you have the money, invest in a Ceramic Chi and Redken Smooth Down shampoo and conditioner.

You will have your look in no time. :)

but the problem I have is that unless it is a dry day here in the Sunshine State, my hair will poof out. :(
I know EXACTLY how you feel.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Also, when I straighten my hair is goes very fine - all the hairs are individual. I would like to have the effect of 'clumps' of hair without it looking greasy or as if there is something in my hair!

Oh - I am getting GHD Straighteners for my Christmas. In the UK they are considered the best!

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
< See Avatar

Used to be like that all the time, but now it's more like this:

Attachments

• l_b9bf5c1a0bdcf5acef56f761bfdc285f.jpg
    l_b9bf5c1a0bdcf5acef56f761bfdc285f.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 299

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
nitynate - I have just went on eBay and bought all of the products you mentioned. I hope I like them!

Killyp love your hair - how did you get it like that? Did you get it frequently thinned?

Shaun

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Grow your hair slightly longer than you would want it to.

Then go to a stylist and have them work on it.

Makes sense, no?

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
The look in my picture required a straightening iron, which I hate to have to do.

So I've just recently (Friday) cut my hair. If it isnt to long then you dont get curls (I have a very mixed head of hair, curly, straight, and wavy) as aggressively.

Most importantly, GO TO A STYLIST. Not a barbershop. If you are paying 9 dollars for your haircut you are in the wrong.

I thin my hair out everytime I get a hair cut (1.5 - 3 months). Its also called feathering your hair.

And, I have layers upon layers. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT get layers if you do not have STRAIGHT hair. Layers makes your hair VERY puffy and a complete mess. My layers work because I either straighten my hair or I put pomade in it. But even then you dont get the exact look. For example, heres my hair with Pomade in it

n1360170084_30015204_7119.jpg

It's still nice but its a different style. That is a mix of curls and straightness.

And if your trying to get your hair straight with minimal work, when you get out of the shower put it in a pony tail and then put on a baseball hat till its dry.

Or you could just blow dry it down.

Holy crap I must be gay.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
I've done absolutely nothing with my hair today, as usual. My hair is thick and sometimes unwieldy (and like mrzeve, there are curly, wavy, and straight areas) , but blow-drying it usually makes it manageable.

Attachments

• Photo 14.jpg
    Photo 14.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 234
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.