Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

josgraha

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
Are cross-posts okay? Sorry if they are not but I posted some info about an app called Ahoy and Ahoy! Lite which was just released. Pretty simple app so not much to review but it solves the missing feature of being able to quickly exchange address book entries between iPhones without typing. Here is the link to the original post.

Lunchbox700

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
MN
I heart Radio

Iheart Radio was added to the appstore last night. http://appshopper.com/music/iheartradio

It is another streaming radio application. I have to admit the only reason why I downloaded it was for Kfan radio from here in MN (my am reception sucks). All the stations are clear channel stations, and there is only 12 stations right now (which is odd considering the amount of stations they own) of the 12 there is variety so that is good, and since a lot of stations sound the same I guess it doesn't matter much. The sound quality is very good to be honest even if we did have good reception I would probably use this application anyways. Not a bad app for free it will get use from me

TheZimm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Theres a bunch of reviews on my site, but not this one =] but anyway, LuX Touch http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=292538570&mt=8

is really great. It's a game where you conquer the world it's alike the desktop version. They're going to come out with an update:
Picture2-7.png

Also, it's modeled after an old favorite board game of mine, risk, very fun

It's free, and worth it

Zym

Kenya

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
White Noise

I throw my vote in for White Noise and Shazam. White Noise is an app that plays a full range of sounds to help you sleep, study, meditate, whatever. I've had the app since it was free but I think the current $0.99 price is reasonable and worth it. A recent update added new sounds including Tibetan bows, cat purrs, and clothes dryer sounds. My favorite are all the rain sounds except the one with the birds. Birds freak me out :eek:

Shazam is an app that you launch to identify a song on the radio, tv, or the car next to you. I've used this app more than I thought I would initially. It works flawlessly except when the artist is local or underground. I recommend both apps highly. Enjoy!

ficbot

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
First of all, I want to say thank you, this is a really excellent thread with lots of great reviews. By far the best review thread I have seen. Now, some comments about the apps I have:

Dicee/Tripzee/iDice: I was looking for a good Yahtzee clone. Dicee is awful, poor controls, no sound, hard to tell what you are doing. Tripzee is okay, but you can't see all the scoring options without scrolling, so that's annoying. iDice is the best of the lot, but the 'roll' button is too small, and often I need more than one try to hit it. Could use some refinement.

Firewords: Great, inexpensive game similar to the Yahoo Games title 'Bookworm.' I play this one a lot and am very pleased with the purchase.

Word Whirl: A 'Text Twist' clone. I bought this one for under $3 and enjoy it, but have since discovered free versions of the same game. I am not disppointed with this title and I do play it a lot, but if I had known about the free versions, I would have tried those first. It was my first day with the iPod and I was not very experienced with it.

ReMovem: I sprung for the paid version for 0.99 and am happy I did. It has some cool variants such as blocks that slide and move. I wish it would keep a high score list or something though.

Moonlight Mahjong Lite: A free game, I really like it. You can choose different layouts, zoom and tilt the board. A great free puzzle game.

And some non-game ones...

Instapaper: This is a free app. You install a button on your browser and when you click it, it saves the page to view off-line. Just sync instapaper by tapping the button for this on your iTouch, and it will download the pages for off-line reading.

eReader: This is also free. I love it. You can download free books from manybooks.net or other sites, and if you are a Fictionwise customer (I am) you can download your books from them too. The app is fast (I found its competitor, the Stanza app, very slow) and quite easy to use. I am so thrilled because one of the reasons I upgraded to the touch from my Nano was the express purpose of being able to read on it. So instead of carrying around Nano, pda and ebook reader devices, I can have it all on one device. I am so pleased with te eReader app and my wish has been fulfilled.

Interval Timer: I think this ws 0.99 too. It is a great app for the gym or for working out at home. You set the time for each interval, and it will beep (over your music!) at the appointed times. I enjoy this style of training for both cardio and strength work, I set them for one minute intervals and just pick an exercise, do it, and when the timer goes, switch to a new exercise. I am very pleased with this buy, a simple app that does just what it says it will.

iSpreadsheet: DO NOT buy this app! I was looking for a basic spreadsheet app, and the app 'Spreadsheet; cost $3 more than this, so I cheaped out and got this one. Boy, am I sorry! It has no shortcut buttons at all, you have to enter every formula manually and if you do it wrong the app crashes! It also has no cut and paste option, no way to get the docs off the ipod via email or synccing or anything, it is just a very limited and not ready for release app. I emailed the author, he says there are plans for upgrades and improvements, but I am still unhappy. This should not be out there. It is not a good app. I wish I had spent the $3 more and bought the other one.

Activities: This app lets you set up activities or tasks you want to complete, and tick them off each day you do them (for example you could say 'go to the gym three times a week' and tick them off each time you go. I like the concept of this app, but have not quite figured out the options. It is not very straightforward how you set up a daily event, and the squares don't turn green even when you tick them off. A help menu would not be amiss. Still, I think this is a free app and it does the job, I suppose...

jparris1

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
The only app I feel strongly enough about to really evangelize is Saisuke ( http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=289228987&mt=8 ). This app is so much better than the built in calendar app it's not even funny. And the sync with Google Calendar is a real winner. If you use google calendar, particularly to share calendars with family or coworkers, it's really a no brainer. Even if you don't share calendars, I like Google Calendar a lot. I love syncing anytime without a cable, and being able to access my calendars anywhere. The week view and Month view with text on the iPhone are super handy. And the recent updated added more view settinga and more style choices. I hope the improvements keep coming, but even as it is now it's a great app and worth every penny.

I hope some other developers jump into this space too. Palm OS and Windows mobile have numerous choices for PIM/Calendar replacements.

GhostBusterZ

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
App-aholics Anonymous

I am a newbie here, but i thought it was time i joined.
Also , there should be a forum for people addicted to buying apps. Because i think there are alot of us out there. Appaholics Anonymous anyone?

Ones I bought recently.

TOPPLE:
Low price
Jenga meets Tetris in a dark alley. Great graphics! Even love the music in the background
Hugely addictive
Feel professional

MCFINDER:
Free
Finds the closest McDonalds to me. I guess like all the other GPS ones out there but this one is focused solely for the golden Arches.
I have a feeling I will love this one, especially when i am touring (i am a musician)

KNOTS
Like twister but you aren't drunk and it only involves your fingers.
Cool idea, but i get bored quickly.

thatninjaguy

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Lightsaber unleashed
8 of 10
free

you basiclly choose a red,blue or green saber. Then you swing you phone round like wii remote listen to it mke cool sounds.

jakemann23

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Pathways- Puzzle game- 9 out of 10

Great puzzles and lots of them. Also, after you beat a level you can go back and play it again anytime you like which adds a lot of replay value. I have played a total of about 3 hours and am only half way done with the game!!!(so says the website:eek:)http://www.pathwaysthegame.com. I have been burned on these $5 apps before that have absolutely no longevity whatsoever but this is not one of them. The music is good and doesn't seem to distract from the game play. There is also a little story element that progresses as you play to add that extra bit of entertainment.

I highly recommend this game. Pick it up, you wont be disappointed.

humormuch

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
Makeup for Contacts App Shortcomings

App Name: New Digits
Itunes Price: $0.99
Rate app: 10
Creator: Foundero

Orders your contacts by create or modified date and shows you the date. It's really simple but helps me all the time when I can't remember the name of someone I put in my phone.

New Digits in AppStore

Not sure why Apple didn't include this functionality in their built-in contacts app.

ficbot

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
Some games I tried out recently:

Dizzy Bee: Loved it. Upgraded to the paid version. This is the maze game for the ipod that I have been searching for. Unlike Biiball Lite, it saves your progress, and unlike Rock N Roll the controls are not all over the place.

Rock N Roll: This was a disappointment. You need to click in a separate area to access each level map. I got lost all the time. I prefer games where you can access the whole level on one screen. I still am playing it because I paid for it, but only in five minute chunks.

Crazy Pipes: Loved it. Its description says it is based on Pipe Dream, so I was expecting to touch the pipes to rotate them into place, but it turns out this is a variation where you slide them around like puzzle pieces. At first, this disappointed me because I was expecting the other thing, but once I got used to it, I really came to enjoy this game and I play it often.

Fire Tail: Hated it. It's like Jezzball, but the play area is too big to fit on the screen. So, while you are at one end being good and avoiding the bad guys, they are zapping you from the end of your tail that you can't see on the screen, and you lose. It would be better to have a less expansive play area and be able to see everything in this type of game.

Hexterity: Mixed feelings. You have to connect lines in a path to clear jewels. It *looks* like a really cool game, and it was cheap enough (I am a sucker for puzzle games and can be gotten on an impulse buy at the right price) that I tried it. But the controls are fiddly (I want to be able to touch to rotate, not have to spin each piece individually) and many times, it looked like something should connect but then it wouldn't. It was frustrating to play and I got impatient. Plus, it has a non-square icon, and that bugs the OCD side of me :)

Masterpiece: This is such a simple game, but it is my new love. This is exactly the type of game I enjoy where it is not dependent on flashy graphics to be fun. it is like a combination of Tetris and Pentomino: you put the shapes on the grid to try and make lines or columns, which clears them away. But you can't rotate the pieces, so you have to plan ahead a little (you can see two shapes ahead) and leave space for the bigger ones. Most of the games I have played have not lasted long, but this is a great, fun, quick game. Glad I got it.

Loops of Zen: Just downloaded this now. So far, so good. But it does not come with many levels. I hope they add more levels in the next update.

Numba: Tried the free version, loved it, upgraded. But I find that I get bored after ten minutes or so. I do enjoy it, but in quick bursts only. It is something I like to come back to throughout the day.

Moto Chaser: Hated it. Got it because I really wanted to try a racing game and it was very cheap, but I hated it. I hated having to keep your finger on the screen the whole time. They should have it so this is assumed that you are and you don't actually have to!

Spin Dice: You spin the dice to make combos and clear them. The 'casual' mode is terrible. You hardly get any spins, and since the game is pretty much dependent on luck of the spin, it is boring and ends quickly. But then I tried timed mode where you get unlimited spins and try to score as much as you can in the allotted time. it was like a whole different game and was very fun. The only quirk is that even if the game ends, it will prompt you next time to continue---at which point it will promptly flash 'game ever' and ask you to put in your high score (again). It should either default to start a new game, or not give you the continue choice if you left it with a game finished. And the casual mode really needs some tweaking!

Stone of Destiny: Waste of a dollar. Pretty, pretty game. But there is only one level of zoom, and it isn't enough. I could not see enough detail to play the game properly at all.

Vektrax: A sort of racing game. Fun gameplay, but it seems there are no levels and it just goes on forever and ever until you lose. I would rather have it be tracks like a racing game, where you can finish in a certain time and then try to better it later. I need the satisfaction of completing something :)

Wurdle: Loved it! Like Boggle, but you can loop around and around, and shake the board mid-game. Also it is timed, so it is great for just a quick game break. I wish the w in the title was uppercase though, it looks weird on my screen.

Zone Ball: Another sort of Jezz Ball clone. Much more fun than the other one. Sometimes, the controls are a little quirky and a line gets sent the wrong way, but overall, it is fun. The opening levels are quite easy though, and it gets a little tedious having to repeat them every time you play.

Anyway, hope these reviews help someone!

TheZimm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Same! theres a review on my site but also it is so cool and worth the money that theres a cheat code =]

Zym

Pathways- Puzzle game- 9 out of 10

Great puzzles and lots of them. Also, after you beat a level you can go back and play it again anytime you like which adds a lot of replay value. I have played a total of about 3 hours and am only half way done with the game!!!(so says the website:eek:)http://www.pathwaysthegame.com. I have been burned on these $5 apps before that have absolutely no longevity whatsoever but this is not one of them. The music is good and doesn't seem to distract from the game play. There is also a little story element that progresses as you play to add that extra bit of entertainment.

I highly recommend this game. Pick it up, you wont be disappointed.

applover101

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
I tried the new Beatbox Live app

This has to be one of my newest favorite apps. The sounds are clean and they music is amazing... I think a couple songs had a few looping problems but not enough to make me give this a bad review... Its in the music section and its $2.99 :)

Its for my 2 thumbs up.

autobotjones

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2008
Melbourne Metro
$2.00 I think

Really good if your using public transport in Melbourne.
It tells you the departure times of trains, busses and trams from every station/stop in Melbourne.
9/10

Burchie

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
A.I.Disk was last that i reviewed!
Price: 7.99$
9/10
Review: It's good application. Does connection to iDisk, while i love AirShairing app I wanted something that I can use to sent files for my iPhone from any computer without having to be on the same network and so far this is the best solution. I really enjoyed that back-up system for all my documents and files.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
App: Folders
Price: $1.99
9/10

I love this app. It was what I was looking for! It is really no different than Briefcase or Airsharing, but it has one HUGE advantage, you can download files off of the internet! There is a feature on the app that opens up a web browser. From that browser, you just find the file you want (from an ebook website, megaupload, Mediafire, etc..) and then download it. The file will download right into your Folders app. And when you get home, you can transfer the file onto your desktop via wi-fi. Drawbacks are that it cannot unzip very large files (but you can unzip small files). You cannot download files off of some sites. I found it couldn't work on Rapidshare or Sendspace. Additionally, you can dl an mp3 file and play it, but you cannot add it into your ipod library (you can do so after you export it onto your desktop though). Same thing for e-books; you can't download it and then add it to Stanza (or maybe I haven't figured it out yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.