Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
I still hate the idea of "post PC". None of these portable devices replaces a laptop or a desktop computer. Its simply Post PC because Apple said so, and people like to do what they are told.

Actually, for quite a lot of people they do replace a laptop. Maybe not for you, bit you are not the same as everyone else. This goes for the rest of the folks that agreed with you or said the same thing.

Why is it so hard to believe that someone could have all their needs met by a tablet, or even a phone.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Apple has 18% of a market with 1.2 BILLION devices sold in 2012.

That's acutally quite amazing considering this chart includes smartphones and tablets... AND laptops and desktops.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I still hate the idea of "post PC". None of these portable devices replaces a laptop or a desktop computer. Its simply Post PC because Apple said so, and people like to do what they are told.

I think it is a fantastic notion. Not everyone needs a full on PC. They are just doing email, very light browsing etc. if an iPad or similar fits their needs then why not have it in the market.

And no one, not even Jobs or Cook, are saying that the personal computer is dead and gone. Just that it isn't the end all and be all of folks computer use. It is moving from THE thing to just another piece in the puzzle.

That said I disagree that this statistic proves or disproves this notion. I would say that Sony's recent announcement of Airplay like functionality is closer to showing that the tech world is indeed embracing this notion of the post PC interconnected world than market share on phones.

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
"Shipments" does not mean "sales"... and while Apple has been having trouble making iPhones/iPads/iMacs fast enough to meet demand, I doubt that the same is true of Samsung. When you subtract the unsold units, I wonder if that puts Apple back on top.

Marketshare should only refer to sales, but it seems it never does.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Well, they are selling tons of cheap phones mainly to be used to Twit, post to Facebook or send Text Messages. That's what most kids do anyway; no need for a higher end device.
Uh... what do you think the main use for Apple's iToys is? :confused:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
He also predicted that iPad mini would never be a success...

And another: (link)

There are no plans to make a tablet. It turns out people want keyboards. When Apple first started out, "People couldn't type. We realized: Death would eventually take care of this." "We look at the tablet and we think it's going to fail." Tablets appeal to rich guys with plenty of other PCs and devices already.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Well, they are selling tons of cheap phones mainly to be used to Twit, post to Facebook or send Text Messages. That's what most kids do anyway; no need for a higher end device.

And they have multiple carrier options, not like iPhone stuck primarily to AT&T with a bleeding plan.

The iPhone is available on over 120 carrier around the globe.

The difference is... Samsung makes phones that retail for $80 unlocked in developing nations. No wonder they have a huge amount of shipments/sales.

Not that it's a contest or anything ;)

Booch21

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Actually, for quite a lot of people they do replace a laptop.

I fall into this category. I haven't fired up a laptop in years since getting my first iPad. I can do quite a bit from the living room on a tablet. When I need to go fire up the Mac, its usually for a darn good reason.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
It's not much of a comparison between Apple and Samsung. it's a lot like Comparing a Mercedes S Class with an entry level Hyundai. The numbers do not tell the real story. Samsung gives away close-top, cheap plastic boxes which are probably just the thing to get your ten year old who will drop it or lose it. Brand S is picking up the bottom of the market at a lower price point and lower profit and they treat their customers accordingly. Not everyone can afford or appreciate the Mercedes S Class which is why there are beaters.

I always laugh at these car analogies. BTW bro Apple gives away an iPhone for free too. Your Samsung hate is clearly showing. Why are you so butt hurt over the Koreans?

I also like how whenever these analyst or market groups put out their "estimates" (Keyword here!) and it favours Apple it is treated as gospel and the absolute truth here. However when it favours someone else other than Apple everyone has to pick it apart, bringing up counter articles about web traffic and begin rambling about shipped vs sold ad nauseam.

Stay Classy.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Why is it so hard to believe that someone could have all their needs met by a tablet, or even a phone.
It's not hard to believe. But the Enterprise market pays the bills and the iPad will never fill that niche because it's a "leisure" appliances - nothing more.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
the shrinking blue segments really make me wonder what Google was thinking with the Pixel.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I always laugh at these car analogies. BTW bro Apple gives away an iPhone for free too. Your Samsung hate is clearly showing. Why are you so butt hurt over the Koreans?

Stay Classy.

Because samsung makes the 2 beat phones available now and unlike apple, they are pushing the limits, bringing new technology to the game and new features while apple well.... Isnt

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

Remember, before tablet or a smartphone people used to buy desktop PC or a laptop just to get on the internet. I would say must people. Now why would they buy desktop or a laptop to check/send emails or brows the internet when they can do that on tablet/smart phone? You may not like it but that's the true. I only have my iMac because i do video editing (final cut pro x, Aftereffects CS6 and some photo editing programs. Otherwise, i would just stick with tablets.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Remember, before tablet or a smartphone people used to buy desktop PC or a laptop just to get on the internet. I would say must people. Now why would they buy desktop or a laptop to check/send emails or brows the internet when they can do that on tablet/smart phone? You may not like it but that's the true. I only have my iMac because i do video editing (final cut pro x, Aftereffects CS6 and some photo editing programs. Otherwise, i would just stick with tablets.

One thing I always wondered about... what do people do with digital photos if they don't have a computer to save them to?

Do people only use their phone and upload them to Facebook for safekeeping?

philip456

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2008
East Anglia, England
Another interpretation - just as many PCs/laptops.

This doesn't necessarily mean that people are using less PCs and laptops.

It could be that just as many people are using PCs/laptops but they are also buying smartphones/tablets as well. So, there are the same number of PCs/laptops but more smartphones/tablets.

That would explain the percentage changes, just as well.

Without more information, don't jump to conclusions too quickly.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
"The figures do not, of course, necessarily indicate device preference, as some may choose a cheaper device for financial reasons, especially in developing markets."

Amazing editorialized comment as if to discredit the report.

Newsflash - people don't just pay less for financial reasons as if they can only afford cheaper options. It all comes down to use case and VALUE.

If someone wants to watch some movies, read, etc and not concern themselves with Apple's ecosystem, they might choose a Kindle Fire or Nexus 7. Not because they can't AFFORD an Apple device. But because there's no reason to pay more for what they need.

So yes - you can say it's a financial reason. But that seems to be a go-to bullet point meaning "because they can't afford the iPad" or [fill in the blank apple device]

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
One thing I always wondered about... what do people do with digital photos if they don't have a computer to save them to?

Do people only use their phone and upload them to Facebook for safekeeping?

Upload them in cloud services (plenty around) I personally don't, but ppl can easy do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.