Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mandis

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
UK
I was just over at my apple store. Not to buy anything, but to check out MacBOOKPRO. The whine. The heat. The result: There was 15 and 17 inch on display to play around with. On the 15 inch the two problems didn't seem to be there. There was no whine on it, and it was cool to touch. I checked both underneath and up by the F keys. Now the hot one was the PowerBook 12 inch. Un-freakin-believable. I regret lifting it and touching it. Ouch fingers. Also, the iBook 12inch was very warm, while the 14 inch on display was cool. So result:

MacBookPro: Cool enough-no whine
17 inch- bit warm, no biggie-no whine
iBook- HOLY CRAP THAt IS HOT...
14 Inch- Cool
PowerBook G4-I regret I even touched it.

That is my opinion of apple laptop temps
You may post your opinions here.

I've heard these arguments before but the truth of the matter is that intel macs run A LOT hotter than their G4 equivalents.

Powerbook G4 15” 1.5Ghz
CPU Top: 42 C
CPU Bottom: 43 C

MacBook Pro 15” C2D 2.33Ghz
CPU Top: 89 C
CPU Bottom: 92 C

The MBP feels alot hotter than the powerbook cause the case is thinner and the outer shell is closer to the CPU die.

Sorry mate it’s just the facts…

cgdude

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2007
got my SR mbp sweating to 82C in Celestia (predicting the universes movement at maximum speed) what worries me is the fact that the fans hardly did anything :S

normally my temp ranges from 40 to 70C though

jczubach

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
northwest
"MacBook Pro 15” C2D 2.33Ghz
CPU Bottom: 92 C"
i'm sorry, but i think you're cookin' your books. and this excessive heat on a regular basis will come to no good with regard to the rest of the innards. if i may reiterate, keep the ass-end of the 'lap'top (even apple prefers to refer to it as a notebook, check their caveats) off the surface, at the very least, for heat dissipation and monitor your open apps. a cooler cpu is a happier cpu. And the other hardware will likely last longer.

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
i'm sorry, but i think you're cookin' your books. and this excessive heat on a regular basis will come to no good with regard to the rest of the innards. if i may reiterate, keep the ass-end of the 'lap'top (even apple prefers to refer to it as a notebook, check their caveats) off the surface, at the very least, for heat dissipation and monitor your open apps. a cooler cpu is a happier cpu. And the other hardware will likely last longer.

Mine only lasts to the next Model ;)

Garissimo

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2004

I'll second this. My 2.2GHz C2D CPU is idling at around 40 C and is hitting 52 C under medium load. This is right in line with the G4 1.5GHz in the 12" Powerbook I just got rid of. Throw in the fact that the newer CPU and GPU don't get loaded as easily, and this thing has a larger case than my 12" (more surface area to dissipate heat) and my hands on impression is that this thing is cooler and quieter than the last of the PowerPC generation.

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I'll second this. My 2.2GHz C2D CPU is idling at around 40 C and is hitting 52 C under medium load. This is right in line with the G4 1.5GHz in the 12" Powerbook I just got rid of. Throw in the fact that the newer CPU and GPU don't get loaded as easily, and this thing has a larger case than my 12" (more surface area to dissipate heat) and my hands on impression is that this thing is cooler and quieter than the last of the PowerPC generation.

Meh, my 2.4ghz is at 49~51c under idle =/

minis2003

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2007
:eek:WHAT IS YOUR TEMP OF YOUR MACBOOK UNDER FULL LOAD????
MINE IS AT 75 - 77C UNDERFULL LOAD
RUNNING POPCORN 3 FOR 1 HOUR
:apple:

minis2003

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2007
Forgot To Say
Cpu= 75-77c
Heatsink A=66c
Heatsink B=66c
Enclosure Bottom=38c
Ram=51c
Hd=40c
Reading Were From Istat

Snorrblitz

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2007
My MBP 15" idles at 45C...light work (MSN/Word/Safari/etc) is 50C...if I push the GPU and both CPU cores hard, then it will reach 80C, but after a few min the fans come on and it drops to 70-75C.

Mine is almost the same but only reaches about 73°C at most. I'm now running Handbrake and MacTheRipperand the processors are running at 96-99% and it's only 66°C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.