Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpmcdonald

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Because minutes don't tax the network nearly as much and minutes are used more(by normal people but not by me). IF everyone could use all that data it would be pointless for them to impose the cap on the first place.

I don't know much about wireless networks, but even if data does bottleneck the system more than minutes do, by not allowing roll-over MB kinda flies in the face of AT&T's current "you get what you pay for" policy.

Also, I don't understand how you come to the conclusion that by allowing consumers to use the 2GB of data they would be paying for, would somehow make the 2GB cap pointless. The cap is for those customers, who are most likely jailbroken and currently tethering, and who use WAY more than 2GB every month. That is the point of the cap. For the rest of us that are playing fair with AT&T, we should be allowed to "get what we pay for."

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
Looks like i can easily get by with 200mb If I'm out the only thing i usually check are facebook/twitter when I'm home I have wifi now my question is too does text messages go against data as well if you get a plan?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Your graphs are very low compared to what I was doing with my 2G, it was normally 20-40GB on a daily basis because I did YouTube, iTunes (I spend an average of $1,000 every year :eek:), and streaming.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I don't believe that you use 40gb a month, let alone a day. Graphs or you're lying.

Believe me, I'm not lying. :D. I was on a GoPhone plan, so don't have graphs, had unlimited though. Used to use it before school for a hour, then after school for another six hours. Checked my e-mail, looked at the news, got on messenger, tagged music from the radio, downloaded apps/music, etc. Our network isn't congested, so it's like almost having normal internet at home. My internet went down a lot at home too, so was forced to use Edge all the time.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Believe me, I'm not lying. :D. I was on a GoPhone plan, so don't have graphs, had unlimited though. Used to use it before school for a hour, then after school for another six hours. Checked my e-mail, looked at the news, got on messenger, tagged music from the radio, downloaded apps/music, etc. Our network isn't congested, so it's like almost having normal internet at home. My internet went down a lot at home too, so was forced to use Edge all the time.

Post the response you get when dialing *data#. There's no way that you're using that much data. Thats almost 40 of HD footage a day(at 720p mkv). It's physically impossible. There isn't enough time.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'm too lazy to post my graph, lol. But here's my totals:

Dec '09 - 0.1GB
Jan '10 - 0.5GB
Feb '10 - 0.1GB
March '10 - 0.2GB
April '10 - 1.3 GB
May '10 - 1.2 GB
June '10 - 1.3 GB

I got my Nexus One is April. Lol. I had an iPhone before then but I guess I was always on Wifi on my iPhone. My 3G is always active on my Nexus One. I hardly switch to Wifi.

trekkie604

macrumors 68000
Feb 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
in Canada, our graphs are green ;)

datausage.jpg

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
I check my e-mail and surf constantly. Very little Youtube and no streaming anything.

Attachments

• usage.png
    usage.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 72

iphonematt

Jul 10, 2007
I don't use a whole lot of data. My iPhone is primarily used as an email and twitter machine. Very little web browsing or video streaming is done on it.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-20 at 12.51.54 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-20 at 12.51.54 PM.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 60

scootaru

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2008
Columbus, OH
Your graphs are very low compared to what I was doing with my 2G, it was normally 20-40GB on a daily basis because I did YouTube, iTunes (I spend an average of $1,000 every year :eek:), and streaming.

LOL...you remind me of someone I work with who said his cousin's Mercedes SLK registers 250mph. He obviously meant kph just as I believe you mean MB.

CJayC

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010

I really was expecting more users like me on this forum. I've only had my service for 1 month.

makefunnyfaces

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2010
West Virginia
This is why I made this thread. I think many people will be surprised by how low their numbers are. Of course, some will be surprised by how high they are...

I was definitely shocked by how little I use. I'm constantly using Beejive/IM+, email, & Facebook. I'm still keeping my unlimited plan, though; I'd rather be safe than sorry. :cool:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-22 at 11.53.53 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-22 at 11.53.53 PM.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 81

StickyC

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
What the hell happened in March?

Here's mine up through May. The real question is, what the hell did I install in mid-March that spiked my usage (billing cycle is 15th-15th)? My usage habits didn't change, if anything, they dropped after I got the iPad.

4665047202_d3bf34671b_b.jpg

Not shown: May: 402mb, June: 410mb, July: 182mb.

Interestingly, right around mid-June, I did a huge app purge and whittled it down to a dozen or so apps (from the 50ish I had before and rarely used). Clearly, some rogue app was chewing up bandwidth like nobody's business - The two likely contenders; MapQuest (which I actually never got around to launching) and Reeder. I also installed IOS4, so that might have solved things as well.

I'd actually written up a blog post about it here.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
AT&T's gotta think I'm an amazing customer paying $30 for this. I guess maybe I shouldn't feel guilty about Jailbreaking my phone?

Attachments

• Usage2.JPG
    Usage2.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 68

xLucky7

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Just read this:

The change, which takes effect next week for new AT&T customers, could mean lower rates for typical customers but higher costs for heavy data consumers. Current AT&T smartphone customers, however, can opt to keep their existing plans indefinitely, even if they switch phones, AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel said.

If im already an AT&T Customer, but havent had an iPhone before, could i ask for unlimited Data when i do early upgrade or w/e?

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
Just read this:

If im already an AT&T Customer, but havent had an iPhone before, could i ask for unlimited Data when i do early upgrade or w/e?

Nope. If you currently have an unlimited data plan you can keep it though. So say you have a Blackberry and you want an iPhone instead, you can keep your same $30 unlimited data plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.