Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Here is mine.
32" LCD Insignia HDTV
Philips DVD/HDD 160GB Recorder
Harman/Kardon AVR 247 Receiver
Bose Acoustimass 16 speaker system

Attachments

• 100_0839.jpg
    100_0839.jpg
    1,018.5 KB · Views: 588

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
Best I can do as a poor university student with a small room & thin walls :(

view_from_bed.jpg

Monitor: 20" Silicon Graphics CRT (rebadged Sony Triniton), which rotates to the right for when I'm sat at the desk

Source: Shuttle XPC running openSuSE with region-free DVD, Dreamcast, PS2

Amplifier: Aurex SB-A10

Speakers: Mission 732

(Speaker wire: Gale Symphony 400)
(Banaana plugs: 24k gold-plated solid brass MT Audio)

Picture taken from my bed :)

AaronE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2006
North Carolina
More like a room theater lol
For bass I have a 12" Insignia car sub. lol it does ok.

img0442az0.jpg

Samsung 19" LCD HDTV
KLH 2-way speakers
img0444jw2.jpg

JVC 5.1 Receiver
XBOX 360 w/ HD-DVD drive
250gb WD External Hard drive
30gb iPod
img0445jk3.jpg

Random Compaq desktop that I use to test Linux and other operating systems with.
img0446zx1.jpg

toxicbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Ahhh.... I love Nintendo. I own the NES, SNES, N64, Game Cube, Wii, DS, Game Boy Color translucent, Gamboy Color Green, and a blue DS (the original one broke).
picture3ob9.png

picture6hq1.png

picture7ey5.png

:D

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
I just got around to snapping a couple of pics. I pride my rig on being the absolute cheapest I could assemble it. I work at Circuit City, so my whole rig is comprised of customer return/open box stuff...all for awesome deals. My 50" Sammy DLP was $1999 new, I got it for $1199. Matching stand was $100. Harmon Kardon 7.1 Speaker system and stand? $50, because we somehow lost it during inventory, so I took it off their hands. Denon AVR-587 receiver was $80 for me. My most proud deal is my Sony BDPS1 BD-player. This thing was $1000 when it first came out, and was recently $499. My cost? $50!! A little smooth talking my managers always has worked out. Anyways, for being a little rig in my apartment, it's not too bad.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Here's my setup, I got it a couple months ago and finally decided to take some pictures of it with my brand new Nikon D40 camera. I still don't know what I'm doing with it though :p

Equipment:
  • Samsung 42" plasma TV
  • TiVo HD upgraded to 500GB
  • Apple TV (hacked)
  • Xbox 360 Elite
  • Panasonic class D digital receiver
  • Some great little Yamaha satellite speakers -- they sound fantastic for such little things, and have real wood cabinets
  • 12" Velodyne sub that the neighbors hate
The TV stand is two Ikea LACK units that I basically bolted together so I got twice the height and twice the shelf space. Works quite well. I then added some LED lights under the shelves, and all the lights in the room are tied in via X10 controllers so when I click "Watch a movie" on my Logitech Harmony 550 remote the lights dim :)

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
The TV stand is two Ikea LACK units that I basically bolted together so I got twice the height and twice the shelf space. Works quite well. I then added some LED lights under the shelves, and all the lights in the room are tied in via X10 controllers so when I click "Watch a movie" on my Logitech Harmony 550 remote the lights dim :)

I love the harmony remotes. I got one for my room, and my parents decided that they were so amazing they went out on black friday and bought two of the 880s.

Jonnyfive

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
British Columbia
Does anyone have any good suggestions for a cheaper home theatre projector? I have been looking into a projector but the cost of an expensive bulb has kept me from buying. I want something that is relatively inexpensive with a cheap bulb (lamp).

I am sure everybody does.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Does anyone have any good suggestions for a cheaper home theatre projector? I have been looking into a projector but the cost of an expensive bulb has kept me from buying. I want something that is relatively inexpensive with a cheap bulb (lamp).

I am sure everybody does.

Get an Optoma hd70. I had one and I loved it. 2000+ lamp hours and it looks great. If you really try you can get it under $600.

rema

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
mrogers, that set up is so nice and i love the dual lack and light set up, i should be getting a lack this weekend but will be a while till i get a tv as nice as that need to start saving :D

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Like this?

Yup! I'm surprised though...based on your first series of photos I would have thought the intensity of the lights on the stand would have been even more with the lights off. They looked rather bright to begin with when the light were on!

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I had my camera ISO sensitivity pretty high I think. They're just the right brightness; it's perfect to have those on during a movie with all the other lights off. They provide just enough ambient light across the floor so you can see where you're walking if you have to get up.

vicious7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2007
Jacked into the net...
I had my camera ISO sensitivity pretty high I think. They're just the right brightness; it's perfect to have those on during a movie with all the other lights off. They provide just enough ambient light across the floor so you can see where you're walking if you have to get up.

Your idea is great -- I'm stealing it ;). I'm gonna pick up a pair of Lacks this weekend. Out of curiosity, how did you bolt the two pieces together -- or are they glued?

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Your idea is great -- I'm stealing it ;). I'm gonna pick up a pair of Lacks this weekend. Out of curiosity, how did you bolt the two pieces together -- or are they glued?

Basically, I drilled a few extra holes on each side of the bottom of the middle shelf (which is really the bottom shelf of the second unit). The goal is to attach the middle shelf to the first set of side supports in the same way as the top shelf attaches to its side supports. You want to drill your holes on the underside of the middle shelf to mirror the holes on the underside of the top shelf, since it is attaching to the side supports in the same way. These holes aren't present in the middle shelf to begin with because, since it's really the bottom of the second unit, the only thing normally attaching to its underside is the four legs.

This makes the whole thing fit together beautifully, because you're able to use the standard screw-locks it comes with to put it all together as if it was designed that way in the first place. I used no glue -- only what came in the two boxes -- and the thing is as solid as a rock.

Once you start assembling them it will become quite obvious. The only place you need to drill is on each end of the underside of the middle shelf. At the end of the project you'll wind up with an extra top shelf and four extra legs. Since the Lack units are only $70, this looked a lot better to me than any other $140 TV stand I was considering. It's very solid and substantial looking yet sleek at the same time.

Here's my only caution to people considering this setup: the space between the shelves is not high enough to accommodate most receivers. I had a fairly standard-sized old Panasonic receiver, and after I had built this TV stand and wired everything up I went to slide the receiver in and it was 0.25" too tall! Fortunately, I was going to buy a new receiver anyway so I purchased this more compact class D receiver and it fits fine, as you can see in the pictures. Sounds great too. But most receivers are a little too tall to fit.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.