Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wetcanvas

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
Happy Birthday to me!

Picked up this fully operational G4 cube for a song. I've always wanted one, just because they look so cool, although I'm not sure what I will do with it. I'm tossing up between:
  1. Keeping it as it is, and trying to get a matching monitor. Basically as a collectors item. This option could turn into a marriage threatening hobby...
  2. Modding it with modern hardware, either an Mac Mini, or iTX PC bits
  3. Turning it into and Aquarium. They do look pretty cool, but it seems like a bit of a waste

would be a neat mac mini mod. just mount it inside with a bracket if you ever get bored with it or time to sell just slide it out and your good to go.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Ah, fascinating. Yes, I can imagine Puma trying to work it out.

Does it stay lit up, then, when a glass, cup, or mug have been set on it, or does the light fade with time?

It stays on until the glass, or whatever, is removed. I have a glass sitting on a blue one right now next to me.
2014-12-16 17.11.54.jpg

Big Stevie

Suspended
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Just purchased a Newgate Time Pill wall clock. I reckon if Apple made wall clocks then they'd look quite similar to this...

Well I know its only a clock, but I really like it, and love how it resembles the clocks I looked at every day as a kid at school, longing for home time...

IMG_6544_zpsd158c833.jpg

IMG_6541_zps35ecaef9.jpg

Last edited:

scotttnz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
would be a neat mac mini mod. just mount it inside with a bracket if you ever get bored with it or time to sell just slide it out and your good to go.

That's what i thought, but on further investigation i have found that the current Mini won't fit. You have to go back to the 2009 model and I don't think I want to do that. A standard mini ITX PC motherboard will fit with a bit of hacking though......

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
I finally retired the old Epson after it left too many trails of smeared ink on expensive paper. The new Canon Pro 100 produced two beautiful prints with no wasted paper and no smearing. Merry Christmas to me!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 2,577

daveuk82

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2012
Birmingham
my latest acquisition

Brought yesterday to accompany my 13" Retina MBP also an early xmas present from me to me :D

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Well I know its only a clock, but I really like it, and love how it resembles the clocks I looked at every day as a kid at school, longing for home time...

Very nice. I remember those from my childhood. Except the ones in some of my classes were inside a cage to prevent theft haha

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I well remember the post office (in an old eighteenth century building) which my grandmother ran for decades, and where my father and my aunt were born and grew up. She was succeeded in this position by my aunt, who retired in her eighties - still completely sharp - almost a decade ago.

Anyway, it had one of those wonderful old massive wall clocks, with a cream face, beautiful numerals, and the second hand made a loud 'tock' sound when it moved with a stately and precise jerk from one second position to the next as it strode across the clock face. A beautiful piece of Victorian horological engineering.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Brought yesterday to accompany my 13" Retina MBP also an early xmas present from me to me :D

I have one (if not two) of those for my MBAs.

Actually, to be honest, I find that it is something of a necessity - (if you are ripping and burning CDs - as I do - or watching DVDs, which I do), rather than a luxury.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I bought a couple more Seagate thunderbolt desktop adapters for my 2011 iMac:

31DqGujW-PL.jpg

I accidently ordered a Transcend 256 GB SATA III 6Gb/s MTS400 42 mm M.2 SSD Solid State Drive and instead of sending it back, bought the above to use with it. Below are pics of the Transcend and an adapter to make it work with the Seagate.

617I9a-PrXL._SL1000_.jpg

8161y5EVAYL._SL1500_.jpg

I was surprised that it was a lot faster than their claims. Since the price of the Seagate thunderbolt adapters fell, I bought another one to use with a 3 TB Goflex drive I already had so I can daisy chain 3 of them together ( I was already using an SSD with one as a boot drive). I am going to start using the Goflex for my Lightroom library.

mikethewxguy

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
Turning my 2012 Mac mini into the powerhouse that the 2014 shoulda been :)

Not my pic...but: 1TB Samsung 850 PRO

dsc0057.jpg

daveuk82

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2012
Birmingham
I have one (if not two) of those for my MBAs.

Actually, to be honest, I find that it is something of a necessity - (if you are ripping and burning CDs - as I do - or watching DVDs, which I do), rather than a luxury.

thats so true its good having the slimmer design laptops in one way but not so beneficial if you want to rip or do what i do a lot which is take the boxset I'm currently working on travelling with me

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
thats so true its good having the slimmer design laptops in one way but not so beneficial if you want to rip or do what i do a lot which is take the boxset I'm currently working on travelling with me

I used to rip quite a bit (as I still buy CDs) when I am home, and - initially - inn order to travel light, wouldn't travel with a Superdrive.

However, I am abroad for work a lot, sometimes abroad in strange places for months at a time, and I learned that having a Superdrive with me is really handy for viewing DVDs (colleagues always have some), and yes, I, too have viewed box-sets. Very useful and welcome company some evenings…..

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Got my warm white LED strip today. I'm going to install them under my kitchen cabinets to illuminate my counter tops.

Attachments

• DSC_6407.JPG
    DSC_6407.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 122
  • DSC_6406.JPG
    DSC_6406.JPG
    934.7 KB · Views: 105

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Excellent! I know they'll look great when it's done!

I have a switching power supply in stock, but I have to enclose it in a metal box to be fire resistant just in case it fails. I'll fuse it of course. Then I have to find a place to hide it. I also need to get a remote for on/off, and dimming to work on 12 volts DC. I enjoy doing these little projects

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.