Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
I'm getting .5Mbps up and down in Mount Prospect, IL with AT&T. Consistently lousy.
AT&T is absolute trash in the burbs IMO. I tested one of their phones for a short while and it dropped tones of calls and had useless data speeds all the way from Elgin to ORD...

Are the speeds that embarrassing? C'mon yall upload those Sprint speeds!

Sprint doesn't really have a sizable LTE network yet, so people can't post. Want some WiMax speeds though from Virgin Mobile/Sprint/Clearwire??? I pay $35 a month off contract for unlimited data, which even at these lower speeds is excellent for the price.

Attachments

• 2012-09-19_11-45-59.png
    2012-09-19_11-45-59.png
    206.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

onepremiere

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
South Orange County, CA.

AT&T LTE and AT&T Max Turbo Internet.

Garbage....

Attachments

• SPDTST.PNG
    SPDTST.PNG
    237 KB · Views: 77

aliciadear

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2012
I'm in a suburb of Dallas/Fort Worth (almost directly between the two) and am on Sprint. Speedtest says Dallas TX at the top of the screen though, if that means anything.

Download: 30.33 Mbps
Upload: 7.68 Mbps

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
South Orange County, CA.

AT&T LTE and AT&T Max Turbo Internet.

Garbage....
has ATT updated your data plan to be the iphone 5 data plan and not a leftover iPhone 4s or some other device, because without doing so, your device wont be provisioned for the LTE network. I see it shows LTE, just asking to be sure

----------

I usually run a few back to back...and use both the FCC app and the speedtest app. When I'm in an area with a strong signal, I get consistent results with both. The main difference being the latency, speedtest always seems to have a faster ping. I have only seen 50+ one time, but usually in the 40's. An ATT rep showed me a screen grab of 50+ on his Atrix HD as well.

ATT just rolled out LTE in my area, not sure if the new tower has anything to do with it. Now don't get me wrong, depending on where I am, I do see as low as high-teens and I get scores in the 20's and 30's. But that's location based and, like I said, I don't see a degradation when running multiple tests in the same area.

And one huge factor would be users accessing the same tower...and that's a variable that you never know the answer to.
Are you saying you saw a screengrab of ping in the 50+ms or data speed in 50+mbps, ive definately gotten above 50 quite a few times speed wise, and can regularly hit it in new orleans during the day. Suprisingly even inside the hospital when at my Dr.s appointment, i was near a window though so im sure that may have helped a bit.

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
I get ~55 down and ~25 up and ~25 ping :) From Sydney, Australia. On Telstra.

Me too on average. Also on Telstra in Parramatta, Sydney, Australia. This was one of my better speeds (downloads).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 76

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Impressive. My verizon speeds were about a tenth of that.

that sucks. i woulda switched back to att too if mine werent :p

I got lucky,
here in austin we first got LTE a few years back, but since we have a lot of festivals sxsw acl etc (seriously something going on downtown every weekend almost).. (verizon sponsors them) they beefed up our service so when the hundreds of thousands of people come our network still runs at 30-40 mbps.
My brother has had verizon for years, and was getting 60-70 mbps when they first did enhancements to the lte for sxsw last year. ( i joined on the ip5) we get about 40-50 now on day to day basis.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
that sucks. i woulda switched back to att too if mine werent :p

I got lucky,
here in austin we first got LTE a few years back, but since we have a lot of festivals sxsw acl etc (seriously something going on downtown every weekend almost).. (verizon sponsors them) they beefed up our service so when the hundreds of thousands of people come our network still runs at 30-40 mbps.
My brother has had verizon for years, and was getting 60-70 mbps when they first did enhancements to the lte for sxsw last year. ( i joined on the ip5) we get about 40-50 now on day to day basis.

I did switch back. :p AT&T doesn't have LTE here (yet, promised by the end of the year) and it's STILL faster than my verizon speeds were.

apb89

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Pretty sickening how much faster other carriers are over Verizon. So sick of Verizon always being slower compared to others, especially AT&T

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.