Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swadd1er

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
I'm intrigued by his monitor, I love the widescreen, how is the quality compared to the retina MacBook?
It's not a retina MBP, it's an early 2011. But the image quality on the external far exceeded my expectations. Absolute bargain in my eyes.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
How does your OCD like the keyboard and trackpad sitting at different angles when the trackpad would sit flush with the wireless one!

It bothered me and I try not to notice it. Thanks for the reminder!
I have the wireless one but use it for the Apple TV.

blackreplica

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
15846535998_51f746968b_b.jpg

I like things clean and simple. Its a late 2013 rMBP13 hooked up to my 27 ACD. Sound comes from the Swan M200 MkIII speakers (best computer speakers I've heard to date and have built in amplification, so they're fully powered) and hidden behind the screen is a probox 4 bay USB 3 enclosure which I use for storing larger files and backups.

The only issue I'm having is a slight shortage of USB ports. I've had to stop using my Logitech with the USB dongle and went to the apple magic mouse via bluetooth. Generally I like the mouse except it gets annoying when the connection falters and the mouse becomes jerky and unresponsive. Bringing the mouse closer to the laptop for a few seconds brings the responsiveness back, but still, i expected better performance out of an apple product. I'm not exactly using the mouse from across the room

Reactions: Mezelluf

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Post Your Mac Setup: Past & Present (Part 20)

588cc6a201ba54fbb4d70e0fc719a48b.jpg

7badb3761f64513fc17e09f865955bae.jpg

aa3c5e204345cf37b039732301362979.jpg

We live in a tiny house in the city. Everything has to serve multiple purposes. My Imac is my editing station/desk/office nook/guitar studio/ kitchen TV. So I put it onto a ergotron arm that swings out.

Have it hooked up to some discontinued logitec thx speakers with a 12 inch sub that sound top shelf.

This year I will swap it out for a 32-36 inch 4k and a mac mini/pro but it works great for now.

krizko

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
The only issue I'm having is a slight shortage of USB ports. I've had to stop using my Logitech with the USB dongle and went to the apple magic mouse via bluetooth. Generally I like the mouse except it gets annoying when the connection falters and the mouse becomes jerky and unresponsive. Bringing the mouse closer to the laptop for a few seconds brings the responsiveness back, but still, i expected better performance out of an apple product. I'm not exactly using the mouse from across the room

This has been an issue for years for me and others. It's something to do with an interference that is generated only when the MacBook is closed. I'd wager the Magic Mouse works great with an open lid, however once it is closed it begins the herky-jerky responsiveness again.

blackreplica

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
This has been an issue for years for me and others. It's something to do with an interference that is generated only when the MacBook is closed. I'd wager the Magic Mouse works great with an open lid, however once it is closed it begins the herky-jerky responsiveness again.

Hey thanks, it never occurred to me to check if it happened when the macbook was open. Either way I always leave it closed so I guess I'll just have to live with it

gfish31

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
still rocking the pre-unibody. everything else is newer though!

Attachments

• IMG_20141216_125837.jpg
    IMG_20141216_125837.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 569

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Finally replaced my ageing 1,1 Mac Pro with something a little more modern. My first hackintosh. Running rock solid stable under Yosemite. Everything aside from audio worked out of the box - I was so surprised at how easy it's got to get OS X on pretty much any half-modern system these days. Specs below, all for a lower price than a baseline Mac mini. Crazy.

Chuffed with the cable management, too.

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

- Bitfenix Phenom Case in Arctic White
- Gigabyte GA-H81N Mini-ITX Motherboard with mPCIe, mSATA and USB 3.0
- Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Hyper-Threaded Dual-Core Processor
- Zalman CNPS5X 92mm Tower-Cooler
- 8GB Patriot Signature DDR3 1333MHz Memory (2x4GB)
- Gigabyte GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 OC
- 2x 500GB Seagate Pipeline HD2 Hard Drives
- Corsair CX500M 500W Modular Power Supply

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Canada

I like things clean and simple. Its a late 2013 rMBP13 hooked up to my 27 ACD. Sound comes from the Swan M200 MkIII speakers (best computer speakers I've heard to date and have built in amplification, so they're fully powered) and hidden behind the screen is a probox 4 bay USB 3 enclosure which I use for storing larger files and backups.

those swans are lovely, hows the sound on those I'm thinking of getting a pair. The design reminds me of sonus faber speakers. Also nice set up!

----------

Finally replaced my ageing 1,1 Mac Pro with something a little more modern. My first hackintosh. Running rock solid stable under Yosemite. Everything aside from audio worked out of the box - I was so surprised at how easy it's got to get OS X on pretty much any half-modern system these days. Specs below, all for a lower price than a baseline Mac mini. Crazy.

very clean my friend love it!

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD

*tear* She's beautiful.

ISFPOWER

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2014

beautiful, jealous over here

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
@Goftrey

You finally replaced Mac Pro 1.1 ?

You drooled over Mac Pro few months ago on your YT channel, installed Yosemite on it....you even said you don't need POWER, so Quad 3 GHz CPU upgrade will be plenty.....and now FINALLY, you upgraded....:eek:

Last edited:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007

Beautiful. You should stick in an SSD for the OS and applications though given how cheap they are these days. Or even create your own Fusion Drive.

swadd1er

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
Logitech Anywhere MX mouse and Logitech Easy-Switch K811 keyboard bought to go alongside the new external monitor. Will post my setup Boxing Day.:D Hope all the MacRumors guys and girls have a good Christmas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.