Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
Cool setup. I'd argue the best typing experience is actually a bluetooth mechanical keyboard (like a Keychron K2 Pro or something), but I appreciate these are a bit chunky to regularly carry around.

I much prefer mechanical over membrane as my other two keyboards are mechanical. But from what I’ve read, the Keychron have issues with Bluetooth and not always connecting to the ipad. I was unable to find an Bluetooth board that works with ipad as seamlessly and issue free other than Logitechs. I did consider the Logitech mechanical keyboard, that was my first choice but it has no adjustable backlight and many say it feels cheap compared to a standard mechanical keyboard.

So I settled with MX Keys S because of all the rave reviews on the MX Keys and this one has a fully adjustable backlight. Expensive at $150CAD, I was hesistant at first to spend this much on a membrane board that won’t be used a lot (It’s more than what I spent on my mechanical keyboards). But the more I use it, the more I am liking it.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
I much prefer mechanical over membrane as my other two keyboards are mechanical. But from what I’ve read, the Keychron have issues with Bluetooth and not always connecting to the ipad. I was unable to find an Bluetooth board that works with ipad as seamlessly and issue free other than Logitechs. I did consider the Logitech mechanical keyboard, that was my first choice but it has no adjustable backlight and many say it feels cheap compared to a standard mechanical keyboard.

So I settled with MX Keys S because of all the rave reviews on the MX Keys and this one has a fully adjustable backlight. Expensive at $150CAD, I was hesistant at first to spend this much on a membrane board that won’t be used a lot (It’s more than what I spent on my mechanical keyboards). But the more I use it, the more I am liking it.
The MX Keys S does sound like the best option for your use!

I haven't had any bluetooth problems with my Keychron K2 Pro, but I haven't used it with my iPad much.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Some of you have probably seen something similar before, but I thought I'd post this nonetheless.

At my local Ikea:

IMG_0448.jpeg

IMG_0449.jpeg

IMG_0450.jpeg

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Just got new displays, so time to update.

IMG_7722.jpeg

The boxes - of course I notice now that I had them reversed from where they are on the desk after setup. Oh well.
  • Alienware AW3225QF "32 4K QD-OLED Gaming Monitor" - 3840x2160 240Hz
  • Dell U4025QW "UltraSharp 40 Curved Thunderbolt Hub Monitor" - 5120x2160 120Hz
These are replacing two Samsung 28" 4K displays in landscape plus one 24" 4K display in portrait:

Before:
IMG_7723.jpeg

After:
IMG_7724.jpeg

One benefit is that I don't need to use a USB "DisplayLink" adapter for the third monitor under macOS any more. The ultra wide has a Thunderbolt 4 connection, with 2.5Gb Ethernet, which also saves me from using a USB 5GbE adapter (that is strangely slow. I can just barely reach my 1.2 Gb internet speed with it, and in-house network speeds on it are far short of 5 Gb; while the monitor's 2.5 GbE seems to be able to get the full 2.5Gb.)

At right is my personal Mac Studio. Currently have it connected to my HP Thunderbolt 3 Dock (black box thing with a Grogu sticker on top to the left of the Studio and phone/watch charger.) That is connected to the Dell 40" via HDMI, and the Alienware 32" via DisplayPort-to-USB-C plugged into the dock's Thunderbolt out port.

Under the desk "shelf" is my work 14" MacBook Pro (M1 Pro.) It is connected to the Dell 40" via the monitor's Thunderbolt connection (which can provide up to 140W.) I originally tried to connect it to the Thunderbolt out on the HP dock, but that didn't work; and I have no idea why, connecting a second display via a USB-C-to-DisplayPort to the TB out port is the only way to get macOS to recognize a second display via TB dock.) So it's direct to a TB port, and an HDMI to the Alienware 32" to the MBP's HDMI port.

I also have a personal (2019 16" Intel Core i9+Radeon Pro 5500M) MacBook Pro and am in the market for a compact gaming PC to add to the mix. (The Intel MacBook Pro has been my "gaming PC" booted into Windows, but I don't think it'll sufficiently drive those displays.)

My original plan was that my work and personal MBP would swap using the HP Thunderbolt Dock with the Dell 40 plugged in to the TB out on it, so that the MBPs could use the monitor's 2.5GbE and be "single plug for all." But for some reason that isn't working, and I'll diagnose it after work today. Then the Mac Studio would use a second input on each monitor, and the gaming PC would use a third on each. (Both have one DisplayPort plus one HDMI, the Alienware 32" has a second HDMI, the Dell 40" has the Thunderbolt as its third input.)

The M1 Pro MBP and M1 Max Mac Studio only support the monitors up to 60 Hz, but the Intel MBP will run them each at 120 Hz in Windows. Trying to find a Mac Studio-size PC that can game on them reasonably well.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ

View attachment 2358049
The boxes - of course I notice now that I had them reversed from where they are on the desk after setup. Oh well.
These are replacing two Samsung 28" 4K displays in landscape plus one 24" 4K display in portrait:

Before:
View attachment 2358054

After:
View attachment 2358055

One benefit is that I don't need to use a USB "DisplayLink" adapter for the third monitor under macOS any more. The ultra wide has a Thunderbolt 4 connection, with 2.5Gb Ethernet, which also saves me from using a USB 5GbE adapter (that is strangely slow. I can just barely reach my 1.2 Gb internet speed with it, and in-house network speeds on it are far short of 5 Gb; while the monitor's 2.5 GbE seems to be able to get the full 2.5Gb.)

At right is my personal Mac Studio. Currently have it connected to my HP Thunderbolt 3 Dock (black box thing with a Grogu sticker on top to the left of the Studio and phone/watch charger.) That is connected to the Dell 40" via HDMI, and the Alienware 32" via DisplayPort-to-USB-C plugged into the dock's Thunderbolt out port.

Under the desk "shelf" is my work 14" MacBook Pro (M1 Pro.) It is connected to the Dell 40" via the monitor's Thunderbolt connection (which can provide up to 140W.) I originally tried to connect it to the Thunderbolt out on the HP dock, but that didn't work; and I have no idea why, connecting a second display via a USB-C-to-DisplayPort to the TB out port is the only way to get macOS to recognize a second display via TB dock.) So it's direct to a TB port, and an HDMI to the Alienware 32" to the MBP's HDMI port.

I also have a personal (2019 16" Intel Core i9+Radeon Pro 5500M) MacBook Pro and am in the market for a compact gaming PC to add to the mix. (The Intel MacBook Pro has been my "gaming PC" booted into Windows, but I don't think it'll sufficiently drive those displays.)

My original plan was that my work and personal MBP would swap using the HP Thunderbolt Dock with the Dell 40 plugged in to the TB out on it, so that the MBPs could use the monitor's 2.5GbE and be "single plug for all." But for some reason that isn't working, and I'll diagnose it after work today. Then the Mac Studio would use a second input on each monitor, and the gaming PC would use a third on each. (Both have one DisplayPort plus one HDMI, the Alienware 32" has a second HDMI, the Dell 40" has the Thunderbolt as its third input.)

The M1 Pro MBP and M1 Max Mac Studio only support the monitors up to 60 Hz, but the Intel MBP will run them each at 120 Hz in Windows. Trying to find a Mac Studio-size PC that can game on them reasonably well.
Hows do the screens compare to each other (QD-OLED vs. IPS)?

kikote

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2009
Hürth, Germany
I made an update to my working space. Now my MacBook M3 Max is driving two Apple XDR Pro displays. Sound is coming from two KEF LSX speakers. In my opinion the best you can get in the middle/high price range.
The lights are from Philips hue and the home automation is controlled from the desk through a streamdeck XL.

And some lego modular buildings as decoration... I am quite happy with the setup :)

Attachments

• Workingplace - 4.jpeg
    Workingplace - 4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 153
  • Workingplace - 6.jpeg
    Workingplace - 6.jpeg
    1,012 KB · Views: 149
  • Workingplace - 5.jpeg
    Workingplace - 5.jpeg
    912.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Workingplace - 3.jpeg
    Workingplace - 3.jpeg
    936.5 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
I made an update to my working place. Now my MacBook M3 Max is driving two Apple XDR Pro displays. Sound is coming from two KEF LSX speakers. In my opinion the best you can get in the middle/high price range.
The lights are from Philips hue and the home automation is controlled from the desk through a stream deck XL.

And some lego modular buildings as decoration...
nice lego collection

Reactions: kikote

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Hows do the screens compare to each other (QD-OLED vs. IPS)?
They are remarkably close. If I don't have "pitch black" on the OLED, it's damned hard to tell them apart.

Here's a YouTube video of panning across both of them: Dell IPS vs. Alienware OLED

Photos of the lagom.nl LCD test contrast page in HDR that shows the "not quite ink black" of the LCD compared to the true-DCEU-darkness of the OLED (close-up of the two browser windows next to each other, less than 1/3 the width of the OLED, 1/4 the IPS;) plus a wider photo of them with a "Prism" wallpaper that shows the purple gradient in the "dim" section very even between them. (This is brighter than it looks to the naked eye, thanks good iPhone camera!)

tempImageV0q0i0.png

tempImageXOsxIE.jpg

(Photos uploaded as HEIC HDR, I don't know if MacRumors will de-HDR them properly until I submit. Edit: Looks like MR did turn them into .jpgs, although it appers to have done a decent job.)

Edit: This is quite the difference from a decade ago of all-bought-used hardware.

Last edited:

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Edit: This is quite the difference from a decade ago of all-bought-used hardware.
Do you still have the iMac G4 and Cube from that old post? I have a G4 iMac (upgraded to max RAM and SSD) and a Cube case (repurposed as a tissue holder). Can't figure out what to do with the iMac which still boots fine. I have it in my basement workshop (where it's dark most of the time so the plastic doesn't get yellow). I wish I could think of a more "visible" spot to display it.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006

View attachment 2358049

Before:
View attachment 2358054

After:
View attachment 2358055

I really hope you can get the 120hz to work on both of your Macs. I've seen others achieve 4k@120hz but there doesn't seem to be 1 fix all solution unfortunately. Keep us posted and your setup is pretty stellar :)

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Do you still have the iMac G4 and Cube from that old post? I have a G4 iMac (upgraded to max RAM and SSD) and a Cube case (repurposed as a tissue holder). Can't figure out what to do with the iMac which still boots fine. I have it in my basement workshop (where it's dark most of the time so the plastic doesn't get yellow). I wish I could think of a more "visible" spot to display it.
I do, but the Cube's power brick has failed, and I need to get a new one.

Actually, now that I think about it, there's a 50/50 chance I still have that iMac G4. I had two of them. I gave one to a friend (the person who runs the electric vehicle news YouTube channel "Transport Evolved", who has used it as a "prop" (but on and actively displaying something) in her videos occasionally. So while I definitely still have an iMac G4, it may not be the one in that old photo.

Reactions: fhall1 and mvdrl

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I really hope you can get the 120hz to work on both of your Macs. I've seen others achieve 4k@120hz but there doesn't seem to be 1 fix all solution unfortunately. Keep us posted and your setup is pretty stellar :)
I have gotten 60 Hz on one plus 120 Hz on the other at least once so far.

I'm waiting on a better USB-C-to-HDMI adapter, but right now I have:

AW 32 -> DisplayPort-to-USB-C-cable -> Dell U40 -> TB4 to computer. This lets one cord (Thunderbolt 4) connect both monitors through the Dell U40 as the hub.

AW 32 -> HDMI-to-USB-C -> HP Dock's "Thunderbolt out" port; Dell U40 -> DisplayPort -> HP Dock's DisplayPort port. This lets one cord (Thunderbolt 3) connect both monitors through the HP dock as the hub. (It can be flaky, so sometimes video goes glitchy. Ironically, this HDMI-to-USB-C is old and only supports 4K @ 30 Hz max, which is negating the glitchyness until I get a better adapter.)

AW 32 -> HDMI to Mac Studio; Dell U40 ….. waiting on HDMI-to-USB-C to connect it to the Mac Studio via USB-C port.

Thunderbolt direct from Dell to a computer allows either 120 Hz on the Dell or 120 Hz on the Alienware. The other is stuck at 60 Hz. But this mode *DOES* allow both to be variable refresh rate and HDR.
Edit: Forgot to include, here's flipping between them in System Settings: YouTube Short

The HP Dock allows only 60 Hz on either (I tested both individually via DisplayPort) but does allow HDR. No variable refresh rate.

HDMI direct from the Alienware to the Mac Studio or my work 14" M1 Pro MacBook Pro allows 60 Hz HDR, but the Dell only allows 30 Hz for some reason. (Which is odd, its HDMI is supposed to support full capability. I guess the M1-series Macs only support 30 Hz > 4K. If I force the Dell to drop to 4096x2160 (picture-by-picture mode with most of the display on one input, and a little portrait-mode sliver to a second., the Mac allows 60 Hz.

(Also, side-by-side mode is fun.)
IMG_7790.jpg

(Gray "Pro curves" wallpaper is my personal Mac Book Pro connected over Thunderbolt to the Dell, which then has the Alienware through it, the prism wallpaper is my Mac Studio over HDMI to just the Dell.)
IMG_7789.jpg

macOS "Continuity" mode really makes this work well. Unfortunately, I can't log in to my work laptop with my personal iCloud, so I can't have my work laptop taking up "most of it" with my personal machine taking up the sliver. But I do have my Logitech "Flow" equipped mouse+keyboard, which can do similar, just not as seamlessly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I have gotten 60 Hz on one plus 120 Hz on the other at least once so far.

I'm waiting on a better USB-C-to-HDMI adapter, but right now I have:

AW 32 -> DisplayPort-to-USB-C-cable -> Dell U40 -> TB4 to computer. This lets one cord (Thunderbolt 4) connect both monitors through the Dell U40 as the hub.

AW 32 -> HDMI-to-USB-C -> HP Dock's "Thunderbolt out" port; Dell U40 -> DisplayPort -> HP Dock's DisplayPort port. This lets one cord (Thunderbolt 3) connect both monitors through the HP dock as the hub. (It can be flaky, so sometimes video goes glitchy. Ironically, this HDMI-to-USB-C is old and only supports 4K @ 30 Hz max, which is negating the glitchyness until I get a better adapter.)

AW 32 -> HDMI to Mac Studio; Dell U40 ….. waiting on HDMI-to-USB-C to connect it to the Mac Studio via USB-C port.

Thunderbolt direct from Dell to a computer allows either 120 Hz on the Dell or 120 Hz on the Alienware. The other is stuck at 60 Hz. But this mode *DOES* allow both to be variable refresh rate and HDR.
Edit: Forgot to include, here's flipping between them in System Settings: YouTube Short

The HP Dock allows only 60 Hz on either (I tested both individually via DisplayPort) but does allow HDR. No variable refresh rate.

HDMI direct from the Alienware to the Mac Studio or my work 14" M1 Pro MacBook Pro allows 60 Hz HDR, but the Dell only allows 30 Hz for some reason. (Which is odd, its HDMI is supposed to support full capability. I guess the M1-series Macs only support 30 Hz > 4K. If I force the Dell to drop to 4096x2160 (picture-by-picture mode with most of the display on one input, and a little portrait-mode sliver to a second., the Mac allows 60 Hz.

(Also, side-by-side mode is fun.)
View attachment 2358881
(Gray "Pro curves" wallpaper is my personal Mac Book Pro connected over Thunderbolt to the Dell, which then has the Alienware through it, the prism wallpaper is my Mac Studio over HDMI to just the Dell.)
View attachment 2358882
macOS "Continuity" mode really makes this work well. Unfortunately, I can't log in to my work laptop with my personal iCloud, so I can't have my work laptop taking up "most of it" with my personal machine taking up the sliver. But I do have my Logitech "Flow" equipped mouse+keyboard, which can do similar, just not as seamlessly.

My understanding, and I may be incorrect, but you either need to connect using a "USB C to DisplayPort" cable or "USB C to USB C" cable from the Mac to the display to achieve anything higher than 4k@60hz. The M1 Max HDMI port is only HDMI 2.0. If you want to use USB C to HDMI you need to make sure the HDMI cable spec is 2.1 to achieve 120hz. Also, HDMI out on a thunderbolt dock has to 2.1 spec to send a 120hz signal from it. Forgive me if you already know this. What I'm not sure is if a USB C to HDMI 2.1 cable/adapter will work versus USB C to DisplayPort or USB C to USB C.

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 10.00.49 AM.png

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
My understanding, and I may be incorrect, but you either need to connect using a "USB C to DisplayPort" cable or "USB C to USB C" cable from the Mac to the display to achieve anything higher than 4k@60hz. The M1 Max HDMI port is only HDMI 2.0. If you want to use USB C to HDMI you need to make sure the HDMI cable spec is 2.1 to achieve 120hz. Also, HDMI out on a thunderbolt dock has to 2.1 spec to send a 120hz signal from it. Forgive me if you already know this. What I'm not sure is if a USB C to HDMI 2.1 cable/adapter will work versus USB C to DisplayPort or USB C to USB C.

View attachment 2359053
Can confirm - over M1 Max HDMI-direct, only 60 Hz. I have now connected an 8K-or-4K-high-frame-rate-capable USB-C to HDMI 2.1 adapter (by Dell, so I figured it should work well with the Dell brand monitors!) and it allows the 5K at 60 Hz now, but no higher than 60 Hz. Strangely, it also says it supports 4K @ up to 144Hz, but the 4K display only allows 60 Hz with it plugged directly into a Thunderbolt port on the Mac Studio. (Or through my HP Thunderbolt dock.)

Edit: Booted my Intel MacBook Pro (2019 16" with Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB VRAM) into Windows, connected to each monitor separately over DisplayPort-to-USB-C cable direct to opposite ports on the MBP, and both will run at full resolution, HDR, maximum refresh rate, with variable refresh rate. (5120x2160 @ 120Hz variable + 3840x2160 @ 240Hz variable.) And using the Dell-official 8K HDMI 2.1 adapter, the Alienware will run at 240 Hz, but not variable. So it appears 120 Hz is a macOS limit, as the same cable to the same port only allows 120Hz in macOS, even if it's the only display connected.

Last edited:

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I am still using that 2015 MBP for some things... It is still going strong and it is surprisingly fast for everyday tasks...

My 2015 still works pretty well. But even simple things like a YouTube video or the screensaver will make the fans go high speed. Plus it doesn’t get any more macOS updates.

borostef

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
My 2015 still works pretty well. But even simple things like a YouTube video or the screensaver will make the fans go high speed. Plus it doesn’t get any more macOS updates.
I have no problems with the fans, maybe because I clean them every year or so... and it does get updates but only for MacOS Monterey :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.