Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borostef

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
Would you use compressed air?
I use the dust blower included in this set...

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I use the dust blower included in this set...

You can use compressed air, but make sure you hold something like a wooden chopstick or similar plastic item between a couple blades to make sure the fan doesn't "overspin" (or spin at all) from the force of the air.

Reactions: borostef

ascarda

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2010
My Mac mini M1 Setup

Mac mini M1 8/512
Philips 279C9 - 4K @ full HD 60 Hz
Logitech MX Keys for Mac
Logitech M720
Sound Blaster X4 - Edifier R1280DBs

tempImagebP6mP7.jpg

TechieTaco

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2023
I'm interested in getting a Mac mini. Can I ask you why you don't just hook up your MacBook? What are the advantages of having both a MacBook and a Mac mini?
The MBP is a refurbished 2019 Intel based and a bit slow/minimal storage. I mainly got it for light work while traveling. It struggles to push a YouTube video on the 5k Studio Display, let alone any gaming. I'm hoping to upgrade the Mac mini to either the M3 Pro or Mac Studio M3 Max when they come out later this year.

For me, the advantage of the mini is not having to worry about battery usage, then having a laptop/tablet to take with me on the go for less demanding tasks.

Reactions: rm5 and AVBeatMan

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
The MBP is a refurbished 2019 Intel based and a bit slow/minimal storage. I mainly got it for light work while traveling. It struggles to push a YouTube video on the 5k Studio Display, let alone any gaming. I'm hoping to upgrade the Mac mini to either the M3 Pro or Mac Studio M3 Max when they come out later this year.

For me, the advantage of the mini is not having to worry about battery usage, then having a laptop/tablet to take with me on the go for less demanding tasks.

Ok. Thanks. Lovely set up by the way

borostef

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
What’s your thoughts on the m8? Also, do you think 2 of them side by side is overkill?
I am very happy with the M8 so far... The picture is great, colours accurate with just a bit of adjustment done, smart functions do come in handy if you need them... Maybe two of them side by side would be a bit of an overkill, at least for my use case scenario :)

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I suffer from PWM from certain iPhones..... Kinda scared with going with OLED TV as a monitor....but I def want to dive in and try.. lol

SteveManila1960

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2019
London
I have no problems with the fans, maybe because I clean them every year or so... and it does get updates but only for MacOS Monterey :)
I have really not found this to be an issue surprisingly. 2014 MBA which I have only ever opened up twice. Once to replace the SSD and then a year or so later the battery. No appreciable dust inside at all. Weird.

SteveManila1960

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2019
London
This is how the poor people live haha I am too embarrassed to even post a photograph.

2014 MBA i7 8GB Ram purchased new and has been through my wife and two daughters ending up with me. Its a bit battered physically having been dropped numerous times but with a new SSD and battery it soldiers on. To be honest its all I need.

iPhone 13 Mini bought new a year ago. I still like a small phone goodness knows what I will do after this guess I will have to go larger.

No iPad, can't find a good use for one. Bought an iPad Pro back in 2015 and sold it after six months.

Multiple back up drives. An Orico Raid 1 housing with two 4GB Western Digital Red NAS drives, a stand alone 4GB Western Digital Red NAS drive and a Toshiba 2GB SSD. Can't have enough backups!

Reactions: borostef

enemy14123

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
Vienna
I just finished my taxes so had cleaned up all the paperwork lol.

Underneath the Studio is a desk riser I got on Etsy. I like that my backup drive slides underneath it in back.
The riser looks awesome!
Does the Mac Studio with the riser still fit under the Studio Display?

Greetings

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.