Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chiltonwebb3

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
At one of my old jobs, I was the only Mac developer. The Mac version of their product had been the whipping boy for years, because it had a lot of bugs.

I had been hired to fix them, and was about two weeks in at the company, when someone in their company forums asked what kinds of systems the programmers used. The rest of the team posted photos of their badass PCs with ergonomic chairs and futuristic offices.

So I posted this.

(and hell yeah I turned that Mac ship around!)

36733987_10155719312635794_3343294189218562048_n.jpg

Last edited:

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
At one of my old jobs, I was the only Mac developer. The Mac version of their product had been the whipping boy for years, because it had a lot of bugs.

I had been hired to fix them, and was about two weeks in at the company, when someone in their company forums asked what kinds of systems the programmers used. The rest of the team posted photos of their badass PCs with ergonomic chairs and futuristic offices.

So I posted this.

You quickly forget how thick those first iPods were.

• Haha
Reactions: wur10 and Micky Do

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK

So I posted this.

View attachment 2366154
Just realised your name (did a double take)....LW forever....;)

• Love
Reactions: chiltonwebb3

chiltonwebb3

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
I'll also say that Dave Vrba did a lot more for the Mac version than I ever did, especially after I left.
But I am very glad I was able to do what I could in the time I was there. I think Dave even used an overhead for his computer screen for awhile. That was a badass setup.

Reactions: MarkC426

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
My current. Also invested in some ShadowFoam to keep the drawer organised. Had the desk a few years now, but made it from an old school science table that was destined for the tip!
That blue is gorgeous! I love how the wall/shelf match up with the wallpaper. I think the table would look cooler without a drawer, but eh practicality sometimes XD

You need a blue iMac! Or maybe a yellow one... but a blue one would work SO WELL with those walls! Lovely setup!

Reactions: Danorak81

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2013
UK
That blue is gorgeous! I love how the wall/shelf match up with the wallpaper. I think the table would look cooler without a drawer, but eh practicality sometimes XD

You need a blue iMac! Or maybe a yellow one... but a blue one would work SO WELL with those walls! Lovely setup!

Thanks! I’ve got a bit of a thing for Blue and Orange-I did consider a blue iMac, but couldn’t justify the cost-Mac Mini was the way forward. I hear you on the drawer-but needed space for cables and keyboard: reduce desktop clutter! Plus it hides the board at the back where the cable management is dealt with.

Shelf is a little storage area too…

IMG_1900.jpeg
IMG_1895.jpeg IMG_7527.jpeg

Got to minimise the clutter! 😂

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
My MBA M3 Desk setup with my Windows Gaming Desktop on the Right. I also Have MBP M3 Pro setup to my home theatre.
View attachment 2367762 View attachment 2367767
Lovely setup. And looking behind the setup, I'm intrigued by the colour of your walls. Would you mind if ii asked for some pictures of the room showing ogg the walls? I'm currently decorating my house and sitting room and kitchen will be yellow.
Thanks! I’ve got a bit of a thing for Blue and Orange-I did consider a blue iMac, but couldn’t justify the cost-Mac Mini was the way forward. I hear you on the drawer-but needed space for cables and keyboard: reduce desktop clutter! Plus it hides the board at the back where the cable management is dealt with.

Shelf is a little storage area too…

View attachment 2368037
View attachment 2368038 View attachment 2368039

Got to minimise the clutter! 😂
Same here with the blues and oranges. And also yellow here.

Almost everything in my house is blue - some walls, sofas, kitchen, clothes, cutlery, films, dining table. The stairs will be blue. The list can go on.

Reactions: Danorak81

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Lovely setup. And looking behind the setup, I'm intrigued by the colour of your walls. Would you mind if ii asked for some pictures of the room showing ogg the walls? I'm currently decorating my house and sitting room and kitchen will be yellow.

Same here with the blues and oranges. And also yellow here.

Almost everything in my house is blue - some walls, sofas, kitchen, clothes, cutlery, films, dining table. The stairs will be blue. The list can go on.
There's nothing going on with the other walls. I got this color long time ago. Back in 2012 when we moved into this place. In 2020 I bought some touch up. It was called Valspar Into the Green SW2243. After looking online seems Valspar was bought out by Sherwin Williams. So not sure if this color was discontinued because I can't find it anymore. So you'd have to get a custom batch made likely. Or they could have just changed the name.

Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
There's nothing going on with the other walls. I got this color long time ago. Back in 2012 when we moved into this place. In 2020 I bought some touch up. It was called Valspar Into the Green SW2243. After looking online seems Valspar was bought out by Sherwin Williams. So not sure if this color was discontinued because I can't find it anymore. So you'd have to get a custom batch made likely. Or they could have just changed the name.
Thank you. Going to be decorating very soon so will look out for something similar.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Just got new displays, so time to update.

View attachment 2358049
The boxes - of course I notice now that I had them reversed from where they are on the desk after setup. Oh well.
  • Alienware AW3225QF "32 4K QD-OLED Gaming Monitor" - 3840x2160 240Hz
  • Dell U4025QW "UltraSharp 40 Curved Thunderbolt Hub Monitor" - 5120x2160 120Hz
These are replacing two Samsung 28" 4K displays in landscape plus one 24" 4K display in portrait:

Before:
View attachment 2358054

After:
View attachment 2358055

One benefit is that I don't need to use a USB "DisplayLink" adapter for the third monitor under macOS any more. The ultra wide has a Thunderbolt 4 connection, with 2.5Gb Ethernet, which also saves me from using a USB 5GbE adapter (that is strangely slow. I can just barely reach my 1.2 Gb internet speed with it, and in-house network speeds on it are far short of 5 Gb; while the monitor's 2.5 GbE seems to be able to get the full 2.5Gb.)

At right is my personal Mac Studio. Currently have it connected to my HP Thunderbolt 3 Dock (black box thing with a Grogu sticker on top to the left of the Studio and phone/watch charger.) That is connected to the Dell 40" via HDMI, and the Alienware 32" via DisplayPort-to-USB-C plugged into the dock's Thunderbolt out port.

Under the desk "shelf" is my work 14" MacBook Pro (M1 Pro.) It is connected to the Dell 40" via the monitor's Thunderbolt connection (which can provide up to 140W.) I originally tried to connect it to the Thunderbolt out on the HP dock, but that didn't work; and I have no idea why, connecting a second display via a USB-C-to-DisplayPort to the TB out port is the only way to get macOS to recognize a second display via TB dock.) So it's direct to a TB port, and an HDMI to the Alienware 32" to the MBP's HDMI port.

I also have a personal (2019 16" Intel Core i9+Radeon Pro 5500M) MacBook Pro and am in the market for a compact gaming PC to add to the mix. (The Intel MacBook Pro has been my "gaming PC" booted into Windows, but I don't think it'll sufficiently drive those displays.)

My original plan was that my work and personal MBP would swap using the HP Thunderbolt Dock with the Dell 40 plugged in to the TB out on it, so that the MBPs could use the monitor's 2.5GbE and be "single plug for all." But for some reason that isn't working, and I'll diagnose it after work today. Then the Mac Studio would use a second input on each monitor, and the gaming PC would use a third on each. (Both have one DisplayPort plus one HDMI, the Alienware 32" has a second HDMI, the Dell 40" has the Thunderbolt as its third input.)

The M1 Pro MBP and M1 Max Mac Studio only support the monitors up to 60 Hz, but the Intel MBP will run them each at 120 Hz in Windows. Trying to find a Mac Studio-size PC that can game on them reasonably well.
What resolutions are you using on the two displays (in macOS)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.