Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK
xfiftyfour said:
lol, please.[...]
i understand the need for one in college (well, for some.. i just use my MB), but there's absolutely no convincing me that an 8th grader has any need for a pda. when your 13 your mommy and daddy are keeping track of everything for you, anyway.

Very reasonable point. However, if a young student is able to improve on his/her note-taking skills by keeping everything digital, ie: search-able, forever-readable, then that person has a potential advantage compared to other people.
On the other hand, being able to think for yourself and manage time without help from mommy and daddy, digitally assisted or otherwise, is a Good Thing.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well.

PDA has come around full circle since the old Palm OS days. Palm had to evolve or die. Sony just made too many full blown models that ate out each others sales, and with Palm forcing that technology of non hardware based writing area; they got pissed. Now a days I see NO need for JUST a PDA unless someone refuses to OWN a cellphone. I prefer BB and plan on buying the Tmobile USA model unlocked (8100+8700) - I just like the keypad arrangement better than Rogers' (here in Canada). I really love the styling of the new Palm Treo 750v BUT they screwed up with NO WiFi making the excuse that MS Mobile 5 had it implemented poorly - well isnt that what the deal with Palm & MS is supposed to do IMPROVE on its implementation (Mobile 5 that is)?!

> I really love the Symbian OS based devices like the P990i (poor memory implementation is its achilles heel) & S60 based like the upcoming N75 & N95. However, we need better battery technology OR more power efficient or frugal cpu's in these smartphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.