Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigd

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
perth, AU
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444626483.761644.jpg

Karratha Western Australia 6splus

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Beautiful. How did you get these so sharp? Setting? App for post processing.
Thank you : ) These days of my my shots (mobile or dslr) tend to go straight to my desktop or laptop.

First I view and rate the images I like in Adobe Bridge, and then if I want to process them further I toggle back and forth between adjustments in Camera Raw and adjustments in Photoshop CC. I'm not big on heavily sharpening images, but when I do most of the time it's done in the Camera Raw detail section. I usually keep the "amount" very low (between 1-10) and then add a big boost to "radius" and "detail".

Sharpening hasn't been used much for most of these new iPhone shots, but there's a clarity setting in Camera Raw that I've used for a few. It works by adding contrast to the midtones, which makes the image appear sharper without actually sharpening it. Again, a little goes a long way.

I'm also finding a layer of heavy luminance and luminance detail is helpful with this camera for smoothing out blotchy corner areas (mostly on the right side) that I don't like in the sky of some of my lower light shots, and then I'll remove it from the rest of the image to bring back all the detail. Since images aren't often viewed full size on sites like flickr, etc. the downscaled image sharpens things up naturally.

Last edited:
Reactions: doxielover

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I just want to remind everyone that the iPhone's primary purpose is being a cell phone. I'm satisfied with the camera but then again I'm coming from an iPhone 4 so it's a drastic improvement. I have a DSLR for those times I need really great pictures.

I would venture to say that may people use the phone for a lot of other things now besides talking on the phone. I know that the phone is not the most used app on my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.