Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abedi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2021
I've had this issue on Sonoma for a long time; on both the Intel MacBook Pro and M3 Max. Wiped my computer twice, turned off as much of the auto updates as I could, removed tons of apps, and nothing helped; every 5-20min the mouse would lose focus. Yesterday, tried something new, stopped using Safari (or Safari Tech Preview) and I have to say it's been the first 24hrs in months I haven't had this issue.

For anyone thats tried everything else to no avail and still has this issue hopefully that might help.

Edit: To add another variable, the only extension I had in Safari was 1password.

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
every 5-20min the mouse would lose focus.
Can you explain in detail the behavior you witness when you say “the mouse would lose focus”. The mouse pointer drifts across the display? The app in the foreground doesn’t accept mouse clicks? I honestly have no idea what you mean. Thanks.

Reactions: Nermal

abedi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2021
Can you explain in detail the behavior you witness when you say “the mouse would lose focus”. The mouse pointer drifts across the display? The app in the foreground doesn’t accept mouse clicks? I honestly have no idea what you mean. Thanks.
Absolutely. As you use any app in your foreground the mouse has focus on that app and the different context in the app. For some reason, in Sonoma, the mouse loses that focus. So if you're in safari your pointer randomly doesn't register links or you're not able to click on links as it doesn't think Safari is in the foreground anymore. It's an issue that's quiet a few people have. I've linked two examples.

First link I've put the user seems to have an issue in Chrome, but as others have mentioned there are a few other culprits that might cause this issue. I've disabled or removed as much as I could with no success till I stopped using Safari. It's been days and I've yet to see this issue since.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Do you have Stage Manager enabled? If so, try disabling Stage Manager.. menu Settings > Desktop & Dock > Stage Manager toggle

abedi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2021
Do you have Stage Manager enabled? If so, try disabling Stage Manager.. menu Settings > Desktop & Dock > Stage Manager toggle
Tried everything, even that, in different variations.

Which mouse?
Logitech MX Master 3S, with the logi options+. The latest computer wipe used just SteerMouse driver. Even tried just using the Apple Trackpad alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.