Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Me too.

That's why I made this quick mockup of what the physical outer dimensions of an iPhone would have to be, in order to fit a 5" screen.

If they made the iPhone into a completely square brick (even more so than now), and kept the bezel to 1 mm or so, existing iPhone height is enough and the width would have to increase from 2.31 inch to 2.5 inch. Not too bad IMO.

Of course, they'd also have to figure out where to put the front facing elements (ear piece, FaceTime camera, home button), perhaps on the sides of the phone or behind the screen somehow.

I personally like the home button where it's at on the iPhone (one of the things I miss on the Android).

Anyway, basically all the stuff you're trying not to include (like the FT camera and the light sensor you neglected to mention) would have to be there, so you'll need to change your dimensions somewhat.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
I personally like the home button where it's at on the iPhone (one of the things I miss on the Android).
You're right. I like it there too.

Anyway, basically all the stuff you're trying not to include (like the FT camera and the light sensor you neglected to mention) would have to be there, so you'll need to change your dimensions somewhat.
Yeah. They can use a shorter 4.375" screen then. Or increase the device height slightly over 4.5" to accomodate those things.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012

I am not a fan of the home button myself you don't need it. Make the iPhone gesture-based like the iPad and get rid of the home button. I would rather have more screen than a home button

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's hard for a gesture to do anything if the screen is off. Hence, the reason for the home button.

When the screen is off, though, the sleep/wake button doubles as the home button (in this specific case). I am in agreement with those to say get rid of that home button. It's a waste of space with an incredibly limited number of uses.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
When the screen is off, though, the sleep/wake button doubles as the home button (in this specific case). I am in agreement with those to say get rid of that home button. It's a waste of space with an incredibly limited number of uses.

Believe it or not, I know a little about the iPhone.

Finding the power button while half asleep is a PITA.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
LOL. That looks like every other HTC phone thats come out the last 2 years :rolleyes: At least Apple has only made a few iPhones that look the same, HTC has made what? 734 Android phones the last 2 years? Aside from the few wide ones, they all basically look the same

those pictures are nothing like what they are in real life. They don't compare. Htc phones are different and that last sensation xl in white is a great phone indeed.

I hope they keep it at 3.5 960X640. It's a phone. When I needed a larger multi-touch display, I grab my iPad.

From your pocket? or do you carry a bag around?
Its too big to use while walking and the iphone is too small to use while walking.

Believe me I use my iPhone like a computer. Pages, keynotes, etc. all kinds of productivity. 3.5 is just fine. And again, the record breaking 37 million in one quarter would seem to prove that people are ok with the size.

I see many peopl use the iPhones like a computer....bending over, crouching trying to stick their face in that small 3.5" screen. Slounging or looking down with their neck. All uncomfortable postions IMO. Nothing like holding it as if it was a small ebook reader :)

The iphone is a well proven device the Note is a new device. Sammy took the plunge, the risk and developed something New and Unique! 5million is a lot!

For reference, here are existing iPhone 4S outer dimensions:

Great 5" ... take my money!! lol

Although I think you should remock it with a chin at the bottom (like the imac) and a small home button. I doubt apple will go away with that. Keep the top and side with no/thin bezel. Just the bottom.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Believe it or not, I know a little about the iPhone.

Finding the power button while half asleep is a PITA.

Really? I've never had an issue. It's always been in the same place; the upper right. I guess I don't see how the menu button is infinitely easier to locate, but to each his own. Either way, it seems using all of the space to cater to the "half asleep crowd" is a bit silly. JMO :)

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Great 5" ... take my money!! lol

Although I think you should remock it with a chin at the bottom (like the imac) and a small home button. I doubt apple will go away with that. Keep the top and side with no/thin bezel. Just the bottom.
Hehe, thanks.

Something like this?

screenshot20120404at547.png

I dunno, it just looks weird lol. Maybe if they took away the rounded corners at the bottom for consistency, and replaced the round home button with something vertically shorter, like you said...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
They could also do something similar to what RIM did with the Blackberry Storm. The entire screen, or at least the lower part of it, could become the home button.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
The entire screen, or at least the lower part of it, could become the home button.
Something like that might work.

Here are some more mockups with a square base and top.

iphone5xl.jpg

iphone5y.png

If they go for this approach, I think they're more likely to use a 4.375" 3:2 aspect screen though. :(

Dangerdog3000

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2009
Why is everyone attempting to fit a larger screen into the iPhone 4 body?? Someone explain the logic behind the idea here.

The iPhone outer shell CAN and most likely WILL be redesigned if Apple chooses to use a larger display.

Plus, using a touchscreen phone without a bezel is ridiculous. Just holding your phone in the palm of your hands would make freak it out ever time you attempt to scroll, zoom or tap an object because more than likely, a small part of your skin will be touching the edge of the phone.

Apart from the impracticality of a bezel-less phone, it just looks ridiculously ugly. Which isn't something Apple would do.

Have faith in Mr. John Ive, he will find a way to make it look appealing, while maintaining an edge over Android devices in design terms.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
The song will remain the same.
Maybe thinner but doubtful (battery life concerns) for # 5.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Why is everyone attempting to fit a larger screen into the iPhone 4 body?? Someone explain the logic behind the idea here.

People that complain about larger screen sizes generally complain that the physical phone in your hand will be bigger. Keeping the same footprint is sort of a compromise.

Look at any iPhone that has ever released. The screen+bezel are almost identical in look, shape, size, etc. People are happy with how it feels in the hand.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011

The iPhone outer shell CAN and most likely WILL be redesigned if Apple chooses to use a larger display.
Because it's a good starting point. It is assumed the next iPhone will need to maintain features like the home button, ear piece, ambient light and proximity sensors, FaceTime camera. Given those restrictions, what can be done?

Plus, using a touchscreen phone without a bezel is ridiculous. Just holding your phone in the palm of your hands would make freak it out ever time you attempt to scroll, zoom or tap an object because more than likely, a small part of your skin will be touching the edge of the phone.
Not necessarily. The iOS software responsible for analyzing touch events is extremely advanced and robust. It can be made to handle a near-zero bezel which might be in slight contact with the side of your finger. It can tell that apart from the tip of your finger actually touching the screen.

Apart from the impracticality of a bezel-less phone, it just looks ridiculously ugly. Which isn't something Apple would do.
To me, huge bezels look ugly. Completely bezel-less might also look ugly. Then what's not ugly?

I dunno about you, but whenever I see a bezel I think "man, there could be pixels there. Or it could be absent and my screen would remain as is."

It's only natural to try to evolve phones in two conflicting directions: bigger screens, smaller phones. The bezel has to go. Maybe not all at once, but a bit by bit.

Dangerdog3000

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2009
To me, huge bezels look ugly. Completely bezel-less might also look ugly. Then what's not ugly?

I dunno about you, but whenever I see a bezel I think "man, there could be pixels there. Or it could be absent and my screen would remain as is."

It's only natural to try to evolve phones in two conflicting directions: bigger screens, smaller phones. The bezel has to go. Maybe not all at once, but a bit by bit.

Apple can't win if thats the case. If they go bezel-less people like me won't appreciate the design.

If they keep the bezel, people like you will consider it as space wasted.

It's still a little risky, in my opinion, to make a phone without a bezel. I think the idea of having a small bezel is just written into everyone's mind. A device without one would just appear extremely odd to them, thereby making it unattractive.

Although Apple has been known to take big risks, so who knows. You might get lucky with your bezel-less phone.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Really? I've never had an issue. It's always been in the same place; the upper right. I guess I don't see how the menu button is infinitely easier to locate, but to each his own. Either way, it seems using all of the space to cater to the "half asleep crowd" is a bit silly. JMO :)

Hey, it's just my preference. I don't like fumbling around to find it on my Note either.

And I'm the one that matters. :)

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
You are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Having no bezel at all is something that can't be done at the moment. It could be reduced, but not by that much. Also, I don't understand why you say the iPhone has a huge bezel. Its screen has amongst the smallest bezel for any electronic device ever. Here's a picture of the iPhone 4 compared to the smartphone with the thinnest bezel so far (Galaxy Nexus):

capturedcran20120404203.png

You also have to consider that the screen has a thickness within the phone. Having a bigger screen without making the phone physically bigger will reduce the internal space available for other components. Unless reducing the size of those other components (battery, cameras, speakers, mic, sensors, etc.) or making the phone thicker, it's simply impossible to enlarge the screen with the same phone size as there is not a single millimeter of wasted space in the current iPhone 4/4S.

Would you care about reduced battery life? What about worse cameras and speakers than on the 4S? People just can't accept the downgrading of anything now.

Of course, miniaturisation improves with years and it' possible to shrink the size of some parts, but let's stay realistic here. There won't be a bezel-less iPhone this year and none that will completely take away the "wasted" space at the bottom and top of the iPhone.

I think an optimistic yet realistic iPhone with similar form factor as the current one would be more like this:
screensize.jpg

That's a 4.0" screen by the way. The phone has the same height and is 9% wider.

It would be both the phone with the smallest bezel size and with the highest screen size/device size ratio, which are both pretty impressive achievements.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
I think an optimistic yet realistic iPhone with similar form factor as the current one would be more like this:
That's a 4.0" screen by the way. The phone has the same height and is 9% wider.

It would be both the phone with the smallest bezel size and with the highest screen size/device size ratio, which are both pretty impressive achievements.

Thats about perfect actually. A bit bigger for those of us wanting it but not so much bigger it alienates fans of the current iPhone.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Unless I'm blind, the Note has a smaller bezel.
capturedcran20120404220.png

Hard to say, they're all pretty similar but I read the Galaxy Nexus had the thinnest. The Note is pretty much in a category of its own anyway (tabletphone) so it's almost unfair to compare it to smaller phones.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Thanks for posting nice pictures, pgiguere1. I agree with your more realistic analysis.

The picture of iPhone next to Note and Nexus is awesome. I scaled it on my monitor so that it was 1:1 to real-life, so I could tell how big the Note would be. Man oh man is it huge. Monolithic. I love it. But I can imagine it's hardly practical for me and most other people. Sadly, the realist in me says that the size of the Nexus is more optimal. But damn it, the Note is damn cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.