Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Well I am so bummed out! POTN - Photography On The Net - will be gone by 12/31/2023
22 years !!!!
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1530921

so sad, I joined POTN 02 Nov 2009 (Monday), over 13 years ago
I posted 1,648 times (0.32 posts per day), and started 211 threads

I copy/paste from the above thread ...

POTN forum was started 2001 when digital photography was in its infancy- We have seen the great digital camera shooting boom, gear wars, rise or RAW, chimping frenzy, sensors getting better and better, faster AF and failed AF, new lens types, mirrorless cameras and eventually a steady decline of major camera manufacturers, sales dropping every year. There is no one reason for the decline of digital camera, there are several. Better mobile cameras killing people's interest to heavy and expensive systems like SLR with lots of lenses. Photojournalists use iPhones, photographers get less hiring opportunities , families and friends use mobile devices. Some special interest shooters like bird and wedding photographers, sports and action shooters can not really work with phones, but they are a minority. Image quality does not matter much to 99% of people, when viewed on mobile all is sufficient.

Gear has lost its appeal, but what about forums?

Facebook was founded 2004, three years after POTN. Twitter was started 2006. Instagram was founded 2010. Snapchat 2011. Discord 2015, Tik Tok 2016. All those multi-billion dollar companies have conquered the market, created the social media as we know it, intentionally aiming to addict by algorithms, put people into own bubbles, track you to target ads, lose content validity in short time so that new content gets created constantly. Some of them reduce message lengths thus directing young people to short attention span and think less about complete sentences. Photos are shared via social media apps, Whatsapp and cloud services. This trend has sped up in last few years, and AI will change it all again. Soon people won't have to write or create anything - it's all done for them.

Sad truth is that there is no place for conventional forums any more with the recent generations. Traffic is down. Enthusiasm is down. Mood is down. Discussion is down.

There are many old timer members who keep posting, but that does not sustain the site. New members appear, but they do not post much, just browse and like here and there. That is the reality. When everyone had only computers (PC or Mac), writing was much faster and easier - now tapping seems to be the main communication method.

Google delivers fewer and fewer ads in forums (most ad slots are empty, meaning we don't have even a chance to get anything), so for a long time I've had to pay most of the server costs from my own pocket, even with some occasional donations which I appreciate.

Even if financially this wasn't a burden, I do not have time or interest to code by request or set up servers (I've put thousands of hours for POTN during the years). Members can get vey demanding, there's no real joy in this "service" for me any more.

I do not really shoot photos any more, I have other interests and a profession in music.

I'm not getting any younger, health issues due to stress have happened.

What does all this mean?

I have decided to do the only logical option: close down POTN by the end of this year, exact date is to be determined.

POTN has been a big part of my life and I've always been proud of it and enjoyed the social aspect of the forums, this is not something I do lightly nor like it, but all the facts pointed to this inevitable solution.

I'm not planning to keep a "read only" version online, as it needs a rented server. So the only option is to pull the plug in the near future. What the exact date for closing is is not yet decided. I suppose 1 to 2 months after this announcement is sufficient so that people can collect data they need.

There are uploaded images you may want to retrieve (you have originals of course at home), to do that double-click/tap the image to get it to full window, then you can save it normally. They are .duck extension, change those to .jpg in order to view them locally. I can not make an utility to mass-retrieve the images, as it would exceed bandwidth limits and that is very expensive. Again, you already have your originals.

The only option to keep POTN running would be that it gets sold to someone who can manage it. Running it will not be an easy task, whole thing is proprietary (mostly procedural) code in PHP and Javascript, very complex data structures and databases, with specific server configurations and services. I have no time to tutor how to do that but I will help to get started. POTN data is in 14GB zipped backups (tons of databases + several Redis instances), then there are 240GB of images and other files plus server configurations and maintenance scripts which are required. I'll remove PM and mod areas from the package, and also IP database plus session logs. If POTN is sold it is not possible for me to use many parts of my own code for security reasons in any other projects - that will not be cheap. I'm realist, though, and expect no one is interested.

I thank Jake and all the mods for all the work they have done during the 22 years.

I apologize to our members (some have been here over 20 years) that the site can not go on, but nothing lasts forever. I fully intented to keep this running, but it's not a viable solution any more. All I can say I'm sorry for the situation and mourn loss of a great community. All things come to an end, and it is time to move on.

I bet there will be projects to scrape POTN content somewhere else, but I will try to prevent that. People have posted here under our rules and their copyright - copying it somewhere else is not ok. Also, as said, bandwith costs money.

You may comment on this of course, but please remain civil. I'm sure many of you knew this would happen eventually.

Sincerely,

Pekka Saarinen
Founder, photography-on-the.net

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Sad, I have a ton of pics in POTN. Sadly with the ease of shooting a photo on a cell phone I stopped focusing on photography as an art and more as a utility and hence my participation in PItn waned. But POTN was the best of the best imo.

Reactions: arkitect

fauxtog

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2017
I’m sad to see such a great site bite the dust. Been a member posting there since 2005. There’s a wealth of information posted there, wish it could be saved.

SnoFlo

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
I am so sad to see this. This forum was an immense help to me when I used a digital camera (Canon EOS). So many helpful and inspiring photographers there. Sincere thanks to the founder for bringing together a great community. Best wishes for the future.

Reactions: AlaskaMoose

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I am so sad to see this. This forum was an immense help to me when I used a digital camera (Canon EOS). So many helpful and inspiring photographers there. Sincere thanks to the founder for bringing together a great community. Best wishes for the future.
I feel the same way as you and the other posters above. The POTN forums are the least bias of all forums in the Internet. All camera and lens brands of today are discussed. I certainly hope that somebody else will continue managing managing it in the near future.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I feel the same way as you and the other posters above. The POTN forums are the least bias of all forums in the Internet. All camera and lens brands of today are discussed. I certainly hope that somebody else will continue managing managing it in the near future.

Yep, remember when it was Canon POTN, then in 2010’s (mid?) Pekka took the Canon name off the lead and became inclusive to all brands .. good move then.

First and foremost it’s a picture display and CC site, you’d get your constructive criticism there for sure.
For the various categories there used to even be pictures forum and separate talk forum for specific techniques to each category.
A trove of info and experience.
That was merged in the 2020’s.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I like POTN, as well.

However, it looks like this website was pretty much "the work" of one person (Pekka), and, being so, will not survive beyond that person's desires to keep it going, or even the creator's lifespan.

Pekka mentioned at POTN that there was specially-created software involved that would not make the site truly "portable" even if someone else was willing to take it over...

Levina

macrumors regular
May 29, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Yes, it's very sad. Sadder even that when Pekka pulled the plug, 22 years of history was erased. The site's traffic had gone down in the last 8 to 10 years or so, but it was still pretty active and many were devastated by the news. Pekka's software was not bad, but it was a bad decision to go that route as nobody could take over. There were other options besides shutting the site down, but he wasn't willing, so that was that.

However, a few of us built a new forum so the POTN community could stay together. And we're doing quite well. The members who were still active on POTN moved over and we are now steadily growing. In case you're curious, we are here: Focus on Photography

Reactions: Fishrrman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.