Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ayre

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
I posted this on the Apple help forums, but I thought I might get a quicker response here, just in case.

If I'm under the 3-year warranty for my Powerbook, does Apple still cover the power adapters included with it? They seem to be so fragile concerning my situation and others as I've read in the comments section of the Apple Store, Amazon, etc.

A few months ago my old power adapter stopped working after several months of being very "touchy" (had to be straight in to work). This happened after someone nearly tripped over my power cord in one of my studio classes at college. This didn't send my computer flying, but it gave it a pretty good yank and slightly deformed the metal around the power cord. I was able to somewhat bend it back into place, and the adapter worked -- for awhile.

Over winter break, my mom and I switched powercords between my Powerbook and hers, and my old cord worked on hers pretty well, and visa versa. So, I've been using her cord for a few months. Previously, it'd been acting up as well, but not nearly to the degree that mine had been acting up, and I think it's been dying of old age, and not due to a near-accident.

Now it won't even connect to charge. So, I tried connecting it to my girlfriend's Powerbook, and it works perfectly! So then I tried using her cord on my computer, and, what do you know, it works perfectly!

The only problem is that she refuses to switch cords, because she's afraid of what it could do to her computer's power port -- even if it is only for week until I can get a new cord of my own.

So does Apple replace these defunct adapters free of charge? And if not, is there anything that might be wrong with my computer rather that might cause it to be eating these adapters for breakfast?

cliffrouse11bas

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2005
If it was not a manufactor defect I would say they probably will not cover that under the warranty. I would definately try, but since it was a user implemented problem it will be tough to get it covered under the warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.