Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NaiGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Hello, My poor little Power Mac G4 MDD seems like it is on its last leg. Currently the Airport seems to be having issues connecting to networks. It seems like it is detecting them fine and will not connect to WPA networks, regardless of the method used to attempt to make the connection. This started happening after one of the ram sticks went bad and the PRAM battery is also dead. I'm concerned it may be a bigger issue, but I still want to see if anyone has any ideas that could make the airport accept connections. Any ideas?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I think you should first replace the PRAM battery since the PRAM is fairly important. I've had quite a few iBooks and many of them had issues with the PRAM and the inability to remain connected to networks,. After that I simply connected them via ethernet and dealt with the problems that posed.

Which OS are you running?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It seems like it is detecting them fine and will not connect to WPA networks, regardless of the method used to attempt to make the connection. This started happening after one of the ram sticks went bad and the PRAM battery is also dead. I'm concerned it may be a bigger issue, but I still want to see if anyone has any ideas that could make the airport accept connections. Any ideas?

You are going to need to replace the PRAM battery as the Mac will have issues "remembering" network information with a dead battery. Furthermore, ensure you have the latest updates. What operating system are you using? Tiger only supported WPA-TKIP unless you downloaded all of the updates including 10.4.11 and had an AirPort Extreme card in your Mac.

NaiGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
I tried in 10.5 and 10.4. I figured there was a change the PRAM was the problem. But didn't want to invest the money into it if it wasn't.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I tried in 10.5 and 10.4. I figured there was a change the PRAM was the problem. But didn't want to invest the money into it if it wasn't.

Even if it isn't the problem, it would still be a good idea to replace the PRAM battery. The original battery in there now is what..12 years old? And I think a PRAM battery is fairly inexpensive.

NaiGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
I bought a new one 4 years ago and that one is already shot. Which makes me wonder if there is a bigger issue I may be unaware of.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I bought a new one 4 years ago and that one is already shot. Which makes me wonder if there is a bigger issue I may be unaware of.

A lot of those batteries sit on shelves in RadioShacks, Fry's, Best Buys, and warehouses for months or years without being used. As a result, the lifespan is severely diminished and furthermore those batteries are only designed for about 5 years of life.

NaiGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
A lot of those batteries sit on shelves in RadioShacks, Fry's, Best Buys, and warehouses for months or years without being used. As a result, the lifespan is severely diminished and furthermore those batteries are only designed for about 5 years of life.
Haha, that makes sense. I am amazed the first one lasted so long then.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Even if it isn't the problem, it would still be a good idea to replace the PRAM battery. The original battery in there now is what..12 years old? And I think a PRAM battery is fairly inexpensive.
Depending on where you live.
OWC wants $3.99 for the battery and from $29.99 to $36.00 to ship it to me.
Fat chance I'd say.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
As for the connection issue, check your system date and time. Most networks won't allow connections from devices with wrong date/time (personal experience). :)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Hello, My poor little Power Mac G4 MDD seems like it is on its last leg. Currently the Airport seems to be having issues connecting to networks. It seems like it is detecting them fine and will not connect to WPA networks, regardless of the method used to attempt to make the connection. This started happening after one of the ram sticks went bad and the PRAM battery is also dead. I'm concerned it may be a bigger issue, but I still want to see if anyone has any ideas that could make the airport accept connections. Any ideas?
Airport will see and report networks even if it can't connect to them. Was your Mac previously connected to the same network you're now trying? Is your card Airport or Airport Extreme? If the older Airport, check that your network is operating mixed mode - not G only.

NaiGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
As for the connection issue, check your system date and time. Most networks won't allow connections from devices with wrong date/time (personal experience). :)
I always fix the time when I boot it up. Most of the OS won't even function unless the date and time is at least reasonable.

I think I will have to invest in a new PRAM. Which is still at the very least about $10 after shipping. I'm just trying to consider all options before I invest. Thanks for all the info everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.