Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Ok, so here's the deal. I thrown in my copy of Napoleon Dynamite, no dice. DVD player opens, but doesn't play, I hit play and it says 'Supported Disc Not Available'. Ok, thats one thing, I thrown in a DVD I made in iDVD, and still no dice. Finally, I throw in my Futurama DVD, and still get the same error. Anyone know what the problem could be? Or should I call Apple?

Note; the drive reads CDs fine, and it is the Superdrive model.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
good old 'option, apple, p + r' fixed it.

I'm truly stumped why zapping the pram would have any effect on my DVD player, but hey.

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
rickvanr said:
good old 'option, apple, p + r' fixed it.

I'm truly stumped why zapping the pram would have any effect on my DVD player, but hey.
Which machine do you have?
That happened to my Dual 1.8 G5 before. After a restart, it has been good now..

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Lucky8 said:
Which machine do you have?
That happened to my Dual 1.8 G5 before. After a restart, it has been good now..

Dual 2.7, it's brand new. I was worried the drive was bad.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
So the problem has re-occured. I burnt a DVD video, mounted it, and it wouldn't work. Restarting fixed it.

Do you think this is a bug with the OS, or could it be a hardware bug?

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
I'm not at my laptop at the moment, but does your eject disk icon highlight on your top desktop, or is it greyed out by any chance? I've had one glitch with my dvd device getting whacked after an imcompetent Windows user "hot keyed" around my machine for a couple of hours. I can't recall the key stroke, (sorry) but there was something simple I tried which gave back the funcioning eject key. If this is off topic, sorry.
X

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Hi, is the media all the same (the dvds you used) since it plays cds can I guess the cds are ones you made or are they new? Does the drive play movies that you didn't make or does it just sound like it spins a blank dvd?
Can you take a screen shot since I had a problem a long time ago with my eMac and that was before someone had me repair my permissions (I know this may not be your problem ;) ).
Also my first iBook did just what you have going on.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
It seems to only happen when I burn a DVD, VIDEO_TS, not a data DVD. I've used two different kinds of media. It will not play commercial DVD's, or burned DVD's.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
Most likely non useful information, but, my powerbook refused to play video DVDs a week or so ago, no matter what i did it would not play that DVD, ended up rebooting and it worked fine :)

I don't play many DVDs on the powerbook, in fact i hardly use the drive at all, but it could be an issue with a certain mix of software/plugins is screwing something up a little

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Hi, did you try the hardware test disc? Yeah I know worth a shot but it sounds like just more than a bug. When you burn your Video_TS what are you using? Did you try to place it in a folder? Sorry for the basic Q's just trying to think why it wouldn't play the dvd you made in iDVD.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Artful Dodger said:
Hi, did you try the hardware test disc? Yeah I know worth a shot but it sounds like just more than a bug. When you burn your Video_TS what are you using? Did you try to place it in a folder? Sorry for the basic Q's just trying to think why it wouldn't play the dvd you made in iDVD.

Hey, I didn't make it in iDVD, I'm using Toast, and I am burning inside of a folder... ex. 'UNTITLED > VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS' I suppose running a hardware test might shed some light, maybe tomorrow I'll have time.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
rickvanr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger

Hey, I didn't make it in iDVD, I'm using Toast, and I am burning inside of a folder... ex. 'UNTITLED > VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS' I suppose running a hardware test might shed some light, maybe tomorrow I'll have time.

Okay sorry about the iDVD read it wrong. With the ND dvd that you have it plays in a set-top dvd player but nothing in your Mac?
Just for the sake of it since it happened to me, I had to put a/the name of the title on the folder or my eMac wouldn't read the dvd such as:
THE_MATRIX (folder) then my VIDEO_TS file went into it. I know you did this but if one letter was off it wouldn't read it or if put into a "blank folder" every now and then it wouldn't read in my Mac but it would play fine in my set-top player.
It would seem to be a hardware problem since the dvds played/did what you wanted then your problem happened again :confused:
Hope the hardware test shows something for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.