Power Mac G5 dp 1.8GHz fans @ full speed

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kbfr08, Jun 25, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

My PCI bay fan is running at full speed no matter what. The temperature sensor reads correctly in OS X, so I don't think it's a bad sensor.

Is there any way to set the fan speed manually, say in openfirmware?

It's a 1.8 DP June '04; I've ran ASD 2.5.8 to calibrate and test the mobo, which passed.

2. macrumors 6502a

you could try this although i have never tried it

Attached Files:

3. macrumors 6502a

bizzle

smcFanControl does not work on PowerPC Macs.

Have you tried resetting Open Firmware? Boot into Open Firmware by holding Option-Command-O-F and type 'reset-nvram' and 'reset-all'.

4. macrumors 6502a

oh, didn't know that

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, i've tried pram resets, nvram resets, everything that I could be reset was reset.

6. macrumors 68040

666sheep

Try to disconnect sensor cable and see what happens. If sensor is OK, fan needs to be replaced.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

every fan runs at full speed when the sensor cable is disconnected. Anyway, I did a complete rebuild of the G5 and it made no difference either.
    I just installed a quiet fan on the FX5200 using a 12VCC pin on one of the ICs to keep the card from overheating. The large fan is now unplugged until I find a solution.

8. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Are you running it without the clear air baffle? Try sticking a piece of paper folded up in the far right slot. It's at the bottom right hand corner when you remove the side door. There's a little sensor there that will tell the fans to ramp up if the air baffle is not present. It could also be defective...

9. macrumors 68040

666sheep

If air deflector sensor would be defective, red diode at front of logic board should light.

10. macrumors 68020

toolbox

Exactly, the CPUs' haven't been removed? Some of them need re calibrating if there removed from the logic board.

11. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Good point! OP, Reboot the G5 with the ASD disc and then run a thermal calibration.

12. macrumors 68040

666sheep

Recalibration was done by OP. Besides, as long as CPUs were removed but not swapped between sockets (or replaced), recalibration shouldn't be required.

13. macrumors 68020

toolbox

I have also had a faulty Thermister also. That was making the fans roar constantly. I replaced that and it settled down