Power Point Viewer For Macbook Os X

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbutler, Jan 16, 2007.

1. mbutler macrumors newbie

Is there a powerpoint viewer for macbook OS X available to download.

2. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

this isnt a macbook question it's a software question, i think you'd get better replies in the software forum.

try this, it might not work with the latest versions of os x. http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00153.htm

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's probably easier to just install NeoOffice. It's free. Why not?

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yeah, that is the best option...

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Because it's trash?

Yeah, if you're running Mac OS 7, 8, or 9.

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Why? The user obviously MUST be able to open Powerpoint presentations, and doesn't have the money very obviously to purchase Office, so in which case is his most valuable option.

7. dorcetto macrumors newbie

dorcetto

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

A Keynote demo should be on his computer already, as well as an Office demo. If those have run out, he can buy Keynote + Pages for $79. That really isn't that bad (most people agree Keynote is better than PowerPoint anyway).

NeoOffice / OpenOffice is usually the example I point to when I discredit a lot of open-source software as "not ready for prime time." It just sucks all around, better to not even bother with it.

That's because it's only for Mac OS 7, 8, or 9.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I know it's an insane, cruel, and bizarre request, but could you say what doesn't work on 10.4.8? :rolleyes:™

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I just assumed he was referring to that Office 98 reader somebody pointed him to.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is it really that bad for passively viewing powerpoint files? My impression is that it is does a fairly good job at this. Don't get me wrong... *I* don't use it. But I have my reasons to like Office and I paid for it and moved on with my life... if that's not an option, NeoOffice is a pretty good option.

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I think for the purpose of simply "viewing" PowerPoint files, it's too much. It's overkill. Is it really worth having NeoOffice in it's entire huge ramshackle self on your Mac just to do that? A better option for this person may be to seek a way to avoid having to view PowerPoint files on his Mac, or just buy iWork.

But yes, if he absolutely must and absolutely does not want to spend any money, NeoOffice is just about the only option.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you still have the keynote trial, that will work even if you haven't bought it. It will allow you to view PowerPoint presentations just not save them. I have PowerPoint and I prefer to view presentations in the keynote trial.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Egh, you know how OS X works. Unless space is at a premium, there is really nothing about installing a program like NeoOffice on your computer that ramshackles anything.

Anyway, I do have to say that Keynote seems like a gorgeous program. I have no desire for Pages, and honestly, Powerpoint works well for me. But Keynote does produce better presentations than Powerpoint. Buying it purely for the purpose of viewing other people's presentations seems like a waste of money to me, but....

...I'll stop the argument now. ;)