Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbutler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
Is there a powerpoint viewer for macbook OS X available to download.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Why? The user obviously MUST be able to open Powerpoint presentations, and doesn't have the money very obviously to purchase Office, so in which case is his most valuable option.

A Keynote demo should be on his computer already, as well as an Office demo. If those have run out, he can buy Keynote + Pages for $79. That really isn't that bad (most people agree Keynote is better than PowerPoint anyway).

NeoOffice / OpenOffice is usually the example I point to when I discredit a lot of open-source software as "not ready for prime time." It just sucks all around, better to not even bother with it.

doesn't work on 10.4.8.

That's because it's only for Mac OS 7, 8, or 9.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
NeoOffice / OpenOffice is usually the example I point to when I discredit a lot of open-source software as "not ready for prime time." It just sucks all around, better to not even bother with it.

Is it really that bad for passively viewing powerpoint files? My impression is that it is does a fairly good job at this. Don't get me wrong... *I* don't use it. But I have my reasons to like Office and I paid for it and moved on with my life... if that's not an option, NeoOffice is a pretty good option.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Is it really that bad for passively viewing powerpoint files? My impression is that it is does a fairly good job at this. Don't get me wrong... *I* don't use it. But I have my reasons to like Office and I paid for it and moved on with my life... if that's not an option, NeoOffice is a pretty good option.

I think for the purpose of simply "viewing" PowerPoint files, it's too much. It's overkill. Is it really worth having NeoOffice in it's entire huge ramshackle self on your Mac just to do that? A better option for this person may be to seek a way to avoid having to view PowerPoint files on his Mac, or just buy iWork.

But yes, if he absolutely must and absolutely does not want to spend any money, NeoOffice is just about the only option.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
If you still have the keynote trial, that will work even if you haven't bought it. It will allow you to view PowerPoint presentations just not save them. I have PowerPoint and I prefer to view presentations in the keynote trial.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Egh, you know how OS X works. Unless space is at a premium, there is really nothing about installing a program like NeoOffice on your computer that ramshackles anything.

Anyway, I do have to say that Keynote seems like a gorgeous program. I have no desire for Pages, and honestly, Powerpoint works well for me. But Keynote does produce better presentations than Powerpoint. Buying it purely for the purpose of viewing other people's presentations seems like a waste of money to me, but....

...I'll stop the argument now. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.